Cleaning out your closet

I cleaned my closet a few weeks ago.. last time I did it was two years ago and it was a fast process, I mostly went for a yay/nay criteria, packed it all up and sent it out.. this time was a lot harder, I put into debate every single piece that I haven't worn in the last years and I realised I had a lot of new stuff that I never used and definitely never will and that I felt bad to get rid of as they were mostly presents, or clothes that people that are no longer around 'liked' on me.. I'm so sentimental regarding clothes :innocent:, but anyway, I pulled it all out and separated it.. into summer/winter clothes and clothes I feel nothing for/the opposite. :lol:

All the outwear, new and warm stuff I sent it to an orphanage one of my aunts volunteers at. The light clothes went to a second-hand store that I don't visit (I'd be scared to find my clothes on the racks when shopping lol) and the clothes that meant a little more I showed them to a couple of friends and relatives and they went fast.
I only kept one green sweater that I know I'll never wear but can't let go :mellow:..

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean out my closet every spring and donate clothes that I don't wear a lot or don't want anymore. I get a clean closet and people are able to get clothes, a win-win to me.

Anything that is on the more expensive side, I sell on ebay.

I CONSTANTLY clean out my closet. Consign, consign, consign!! Otherwise, I feel that I'm swimming in clothes. My philosophy is, if you don't have enough days in the month to wear all that you have.....start tossing!

I am in the process of throwing out 70% of my wardrobe, and not just things I don't wear, either.

I've just got a promotion at work (technically I'll still be on the same level, but it's a better job on a higher salary, which is a promotion in my book), and I'll have to move to London to take up the job. So as well as getting rid of things I don't wear to make my suitcases lighter, I'm also getting rid of all my can't-be-bothered clothes, including the scratty old pair of jeans I've worn almost every day for the past two years. Anything that doesn't make me feel amazing when I put it on is going, no matter how useful it is. Much to my surprise, I don't miss any of the things I've chucked so far, even the old faithful jeans. I actually feel much better. I'm going to have to put a lot more thought into what I wear, but that can only be a good thing.

Doing the same with my shoes is going to be a wrench, though...

I've thrown out literally 95% of my clothes and I have a 4 day trip coming up and the clothes I'm bringing is what I have left. It feels good and this time I'll shop cleverly so I won't have to chuck my whole wardrobe again(expert when they are worn out), because I hope to buy things I will continually wear. Plus I just finished high school so in a way it feels good since I'm a 'new me' with uni next year.

:shock:
i don't know how you guys can just chuck so much stuff...
i still have stuff from high school and the 80's...

granted- i spent good money on them and i bought most of them myself from my part-time job at a clothing shop...so i loved them then and still do...
even if i don't wear them...i cannot imagine getting rid of them...

:ninja:...

softgrey, I used to be exactly the same as you. I had drawers full of clothes I hadn't worn for years, and stuff I'd never worn in the first place, and stuff I didn't even like, but I got a new philosophy a couple of years ago when I split up with my fiancé. Wearing clothes I'd worn when we were together - or even just looking at them in my wardrobe - took me back to a place I didn't want to remember, and it got in the way of my moving on. So I just chucked it.

So, in short, it's a physical manifestation of emotional clutter-clearing, for me. It's quick and decisive and I don't have to talk to anyone about bad things that happened to me when I was a child :rolleyes:

:lol:...
couldn't you just get a haircut?!?...

i wouldn't want to lose all of my prized pieces just cause of some dumb guy!...
:P

Oh, I got a haircut too! The clear-out was done in kind of an impulsive fit of... something, but I felt much better afterwards. Seems to work for me.

I had such a hard time throwing stuff away especially throughout high school and it didn't really help when I got to college and starting working part time, since I would spend money on clothes here and there, most of which I'd never wear. Usually when I clean my closet I get rid of one or two things, but this time I did a purge, where I literally got rid of bags of stuff. I just honestly took every single thing out of my closet and wouldn't put it back in unless I knew I was going to wear it. Anything that didn't fit, was old/stained etc, I got rid of. In terms of my shopping habit, I think what really made me stop and think was when I realized how many unworn items I had that still had tags attached. It's hard in the beginning, but once you go through a good cleaning and only keep the things you know you're going to wear, you'll honestly forget about the ones you got rid of since you barely even wore them in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hard time getting rid of things. If something doesn't fit, I think maybe I'll gain/lose weight. If there's a comfort issue, I figure I'll save whatever it is to wear on the occasion I won't be wearing it for long (like shoes you wear to someone's house and take off upon arrival). I really just want a bigger closet!

I also just got rid of a ton of clothes from my closet. It was very hard but I thought of it this way: make room for new clothes! and nothing says exciting more than new clothes. the things I got rid of, I never wore. either it's from high school (old and was only cute back then) or something that doesn't fit correctly. and I thought, why not donate it so someone else could put it to good use?

I have so many clothes I can't bear to throw away, even if I don't wear them anymore I have such good memories of wearing them or used to love them so much... It's ended up that people are amazed at the sheer amount I have. To be fair though I was a fashion student with a part time job at Topshop so what do people expect me to do once I got staff discount!

this week i found a good home for two cute things in my closet...
both lovely items and both never worn...cause they just didn't fit properly...

yay!
:clap:

^^given to friends who will love them? i hope.. :P

i gave away a navy blazer from urban outfitters this week...
just came to the conclusion that i have 2 other navy blazers (one zara, the other jean's paul gaultier) that i decided i would ALWAYS choose over that one so it was clearly time for it to give up its hanging space in my closet.

it's always a small victory for me when i'm able to part with something :P
i think i easily get emotionally attached to my clothing...
am hoping i'll be able to do a little purging some time soon though...

Im emotionally attached with my clothes too..I´m a hoarder:ninja:

I have given away a bot bag full of t-shirts, sweaters and some old jackets that I didn't wear anymore and were just taking up space. Now I can see clear again :D.

my closet is completely jammed. :unsure:

im thinking about getting just one type of hanger and dumping the mismatched hangers i have. has anyone else done that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->