Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

I understand that, but people know and respect Anok Yai at this point. The internet knows her, the industry knows her. She's not a beginner anymore. I sympathise and understand the difficulties she faced, but sharing a horrible story that unfortunately surprises no one without naming the people who wronged her doesn't have much impact, does it? Judging by her story and my very brief research, she must've been on a shoot for their online catalogue and not a campaign, which means it probably wasn't an important big name photographer. A petty little irrelevant cockroach himself, naturally. Funny how such horrid people usually are the lowest and least talented, as mentioned above.

No worries, didn't mean to dismiss your post. Since this thread was already on the topic of cattiness/sassiness, I thought it was also fitting for Anok's story. I get it, we're entertained by gossip and insider tea. That's human nature. But it's a much more deep-seated issue.

NGL, the first person that came to mind was Meisel since he does their ads but he's always championed black models so I highly doubt it's him. Probably a B/C-list photographer at best. Even then it just goes to show how much power that person has if they were able to convince that team that Anok was fabricating her story...

I understand that, but people know and respect Anok Yai at this point. The internet knows her, the industry knows her. She's not a beginner anymore. I sympathise and understand the difficulties she faced, but sharing a horrible story that unfortunately surprises no one without naming the people who wronged her doesn't have much impact, does it? Judging by her story and my very brief research, she must've been on a shoot for their online catalogue and not a campaign, which means it probably wasn't an important big name photographer. A petty little irrelevant cockroach himself, naturally. Funny how such horrid people usually are the lowest and least talented, as mentioned above.
I think the photographer is David Portela (a nobody who’s been at zara for years) but I could be very wrong

I am sure this was for Zara S/S 2018 lookbook which was around her beginning, the photos are terrible and it matched with the details she gave.

I am not really surprised at all. Giving the photographer’s name is irrelevant as it may be one of the e com photographers that no one cares about.

The issue, for me, is more about her agency not having her back, calling her a liar and how models are really on their own when facing a challenging and disgusting situations like this one.

No worries, didn't mean to dismiss your post. Since this thread was already on the topic of cattiness/sassiness, I thought it was also fitting for Anok's story. I get it, we're entertained by gossip and insider tea. That's human nature. But it's a much more deep-seated issue.

NGL, the first person that came to mind was Meisel since he does their ads but he's always championed black models so I highly doubt it's him. Probably a B/C-list photographer at best. Even then it just goes to show how much power that person has if they were able to convince that team that Anok was fabricating her story...

Couldn't be him, the photographer in her story was actually on set.

tumblr_nkp9my0im41ql5yr7o1_500.gif

tumblr

also Meisel is American like Anok, I doubt he'd be resorting to Spanish to insult a model.

The Portel guy was the one who insulted her but then Zara (as represented by their team at the shoot) had the gall to lie and gaslight her, I'd be calling them a lot worse than b*tch if that was me.

She was shooting for the look book and not a campaign so it’s probably a nobody.
All the lookbook photos look awful tbh. Zara should fire him

I don’t know if it is the Portela guy but there was a comment on his IG this morning about Anok. But I checked now and it’s gone.

Joke aside, it’s known that Meisel doesn’t travel, shoot in studios and only in build-in sets but I assume that if those conditions are respected, he shows up right?

^ According to a lot of models which their worked with him during his last years of Vogue Italia he was on set but in different room and looked at all photos on the computer and he analyzed each photo approximately, and if something didn't suit him, he gave his assistant informations on what to improve. Sometimes he placed mirrors on the set and showed the girls how to pose. Once he said in an interview that at his age it was normal that he had nothing to talk about with these new, young models. Moreover, we are talking about a photo shoot where 30-60 people often work.

Joke aside, it’s known that Meisel doesn’t travel, shoot in studios and only in build-in sets but I assume that if those conditions are respected, he shows up right?

At this point, I genuinely don't think he is physically on the premises for 99% of shoots to which his name is attached. I also don't think it's about conditions being respected, having nothing to say to a new generation of models, or being shy. I think it's about being seen. Years ago he was already hiding behind a literal curtain on set, like the Wizard of Oz or something - refusing to be seen by anyone not in his circle of trust. I think that has only escalated. And now it's increasingly easy to control production remotely. Does he even leave the house?

^ According to a lot of models which their worked with him during his last years of Vogue Italia he was on set but in different room and looked at all photos on the computer and he analyzed each photo approximately, and if something didn't suit him, he gave his assistant informations on what to improve. Sometimes he placed mirrors on the set and showed the girls how to pose. Once he said in an interview that at his age it was normal that he had nothing to talk about with these new, young models. Moreover, we are talking about a photo shoot where 30-60 people often work.
At this point, I genuinely don't think he is physically on the premises for 99% of shoots to which his name is attached. I also don't think it's about conditions being respected, having nothing to say to a new generation of models, or being shy. I think it's about being seen. Years ago he was already hiding behind a literal curtain on set, like the Wizard of Oz or something - refusing to be seen by anyone not in his circle of trust. I think that has only escalated. And now it's increasingly easy to control production remotely. Does he even leave the house?

It’s so intriguing. It’s weird because I’ve never actually asked myself that question…
Does he hide because he is not satisfied with his look? I find it so interesting.

And it actually makes me wonder what would be a motivation for him to work today, beyond money.

I understand that, but people know and respect Anok Yai at this point. The internet knows her, the industry knows her. She's not a beginner anymore. I sympathise and understand the difficulties she faced
It doesn't matter how well-known she is in fashion, and I hate to bring it down to this but at the end of the day, she is a Black Woman so the consequences would be severe for her or any black model who speaks about topics like this, even outside fashion its the harsh reality we have to face.

It doesn't matter how well-known she is in fashion, and I hate to bring it down to this but at the end of the day, she is a Black Woman so the consequences would be severe for her or any black model who speaks about topics like this, even outside fashion its the harsh reality we have to face.

I don't think she is obligated to reveal names if she doesn't want to, but don't you think it was riskier of her to throw Zara under the bus, by name? Surely the consequences of going after a fashion behemoth like that are potentially more grave than throwing out David Portela's name (allegedly! or whoever it was lol)?

^Why? Honestly, he needs to know how to set the light, frame it, etc. He just uses a modern camera so he doesn't have to run around with it. Contrary to appearances, many outstanding photos are the result of work in the darkroom. Once I worked at the museum in photography departament I saw evolution of photography and all type of photos from every era. Photography as a field of art has always wanted to give the impression that it shows the here and now, but in fact it is a form of manipulation and editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->