Dior : The Madhouse

Originally posted by Asdiklon+Jun 28th, 2004 - 2:56 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asdiklon @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 2:56 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Foxie-Pooh@Jun 27th, 2004 - 3:47 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Asdiklon
@Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:57 am
I think, he shouldnt have come to Dior. Now Dior is a shame, not fashion.

But without Galliano Dior would never be as profitable/reknown as it is now. It'll be some stuffy old brand your grandma used to wear. :yuk:
May be you are right, but Id never wear what he makes now... :sick: [/b][/quote]
great point Asdiklon :wink:

i'd rather see some 'real' clothes that serve well the Dior legacy than this silly promo fantasy circus that gets leaps of Press but has no substance :innocent:

Originally posted by Asdiklon+Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:56 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asdiklon @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 8:56 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Foxie-Pooh@Jun 27th, 2004 - 3:47 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Asdiklon
@Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:57 am
I think, he shouldnt have come to Dior. Now Dior is a shame, not fashion.

But without Galliano Dior would never be as profitable/reknown as it is now. It'll be some stuffy old brand your grandma used to wear. :yuk:
May be you are right, but Id never wear what he makes now... :sick: [/b][/quote]
completely agree... :P

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:36 am
Ferre did theatricals at Dior long before Galliano...
Yeah but people didn't seem to care...no one paid much attention :rolleyes:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:36 pm
Ferre was too conservative and ladylike, no theatrics really :P

Originally posted by Lena+Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:48 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:48 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:36 pm
Ferre was too conservative and ladylike, no theatrics really :P [/b][/quote]
I think the thing that made Galliano more successful then Ferre is not so much his use of theatrics, but his ability to do things that no one would expect. Even if the results were bad (f/w 04 :innocent: ) who who would ever think that creepers and purple leopard print would be on a Dior runway. In the beggining Galliano relied more on theatrics in the clothes then the presentation, and when he did use over the top presentations, the clothes were equally as dramatic.
I know that a lot of people don't like Galliano's work, but it's for these reasons that I love Galliano's work (with a few exceptions)

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 26th, 2004 - 10:34 am
i would love to see this kind of stuff on the christian dior runway again...

now apply this concept to balenciaga and imagine what could/should be happening over there...
down with ghesquiere... :ninja: ...long live balenciaga.... :heart:
AGREED!

cristobal's 1950's designs were far beyond stunning!!!........ :wub:

Originally posted by Spike413+Jun 28th, 2004 - 10:57 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike413 @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 10:57 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Lena@Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:48 am
<!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats
@Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:36 pm

I think the thing that made Galliano more successful then Ferre is not so much his use of theatrics, but his ability to do things that no one would expect. Even if the results were bad (f/w 04 :innocent: ) who who would ever think that creepers and purple leopard print would be on a Dior runway. In the beggining Galliano relied more on theatrics in the clothes then the presentation, and when he did use over the top presentations, the clothes were equally as dramatic.
I know that a lot of people don't like Galliano's work, but it's for these reasons that I love Galliano's work (with a few exceptions) [/b][/quote]
i completely agree :flower:

Originally posted by Spike413+Jun 28th, 2004 - 12:57 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike413 @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 12:57 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Lena@Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:48 am
<!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats
@Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:36 pm

I know that a lot of people don't like Galliano's work, but it's for these reasons that I love Galliano's work (with a few exceptions) [/b][/quote]
:flower:

i haven't read any of these posts because of lack of time, but i think it's a double edged sword. He can produce great stuff...but sometimes at the expense of "Dior surf/golf/ski" which i think is jus the company trying to make money...

Originally posted by Amelié@Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:21 pm
i haven't read any of these posts because of lack of time, but i think it's a double edged sword. He can produce great stuff...but sometimes at the expense of "Dior surf/golf/ski" which i think is jus the company trying to make money...
exactly.
after all, at the end of the day dior (and lvmh) is still a business... and revenue has to be made somehow! the logoed tacky stuff is what people buy and buy! :yuk:

I think that what Galliano puts on the catwalk every season is an idea he has about something, whether it is a country, a culture, an art-stream or what he sees on the street, that he then translates into clothes. Now that's what everybody does, but the way that Galliano does it is so different to me. Most designers just show hints of their inspiration on the catwalk and in stores but Galliano just takes the entire inspiration, modernises it and put it on the catwalk. What he does is art, like any other artist he has an inspiration and works it out as litteral as he can, though making it something to think about, espacially his couture collections. What we see on the catwalk is (mostly) not sold the way we see it there. It gets translated into perfectly wearable clothes and then it's all Dior again. So basically what I'm saying is that he makes art first and then turns it into fashion, making it available for everyone.

But I have to say, I hope that the fall/winter 2005 collection turns out much better in the stores then on the catwalk. The coats and shoes were absolutely ugly, the eveningdresses were beautifull though...

i keep heaeering people say that the dresses under the coats were really beautiful...i just don't see it... :wacko: ...in my opinioin...they were ugly sacks with a ridiculous swirl at the bottom...what's so beautiful about that?... :unsure:

since he's an artist then i guess he belongs to either galleries or museums,
give the catwalks back to designers :P

Originally posted by Mr-Dale@Jun 29th, 2004 - 11:57 am
I think that what Galliano puts on the catwalk every season is an idea he has about something, whether it is a country, a culture, an art-stream or what he sees on the street, that he then translates into clothes. Now that's what everybody does, but the way that Galliano does it is so different to me. Most designers just show hints of their inspiration on the catwalk and in stores but Galliano just takes the entire inspiration, modernises it and put it on the catwalk. What he does is art, like any other artist he has an inspiration and works it out as litteral as he can, though making it something to think about, espacially his couture collections. What we see on the catwalk is (mostly) not sold the way we see it there. It gets translated into perfectly wearable clothes and then it's all Dior again. So basically what I'm saying is that he makes art first and then turns it into fashion, making it available for everyone.

But I have to say, I hope that the fall/winter 2005 collection turns out much better in the stores then on the catwalk. The coats and shoes were absolutely ugly, the eveningdresses were beautifull though...
i agree to a certain extent. when galliano seeks out inspiration -- be it in china or egypt -- he turns out absolute spectaculars. i think the fall/winter season was testament to the fact that he did not wander far outside of his own space. very uninspired i think.

oh pleeeease, its not a question of spectacular shows but a question of spectacular collections and in this Galliano is not going very well lately, fashion needs a tiny bit more more than a bright lighted circus tent :ninja:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 29th, 2004 - 1:17 pm
i keep heaeering people say that the dresses under the coats were really beautiful...i just don't see it... :wacko: ...in my opinioin...they were ugly sacks with a ridiculous swirl at the bottom...what's so beautiful about that?... :unsure:

Agreed, the dresses that came from under the coats were not very pretty as well, but I was more referring to dresses like these:

00420f.jpg

00240f.jpg

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 29th, 2004 - 1:26 pm
since he's an artist then i guess he belongs to either galleries or museums,
give the catwalks back to designers :P
I don't agree, why can't he show his art on a catwalk when other people spray it on subways in NY, if you know what I'm saying. The clothes always look better on the runway: they move, they are worn by actual people and in a showroom it just stands there....

Sorry for the double post...

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 29th, 2004 - 12:40 pm
oh pleeeease, its not a question of spectacular shows but a question of spectacular collections and in this Galliano is not going very well lately, fashion needs a tiny bit more more than a bright lighted circus tent :ninja:
don't get me wrong...i still have a fundamental problem with galliano's runway presentations...but aside from that general seasonless problem, i think that the fall/winter show was especially disappointing bc it didn't even thrill me in the way the some of his couture shows (like last spring's) did.

well, he can also spray it on the walls for that matter :lol:

no seriously, i can't take the excuse of 'being an artist' for the trash he (or anyone else) brings out season after season, after season.

btw, a warm welcome to tFS mrDale, pay no attention to me, i'm obviously anti-Galliano :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->