Dior : The Madhouse

benito_dior03.jpg

many different places.
i've been studying fashion history for about a year and a half now...primarily 1920s-1950s :flower:

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jun 29th, 2004 - 1:53 pm
like i said, i didn't really like the spring collection until i saw it on celebs and in the editorials.  i just thought the runway presentation served the opposite purpose...it turned me off to clothes i (under normal runway circumstances) would like
maybe it was just the way that the clothes were styled? :huh:
lots of layering, and way too many accessories?

Originally posted by brian@Jun 29th, 2004 - 6:45 pm
many different places.
i've been studying fashion history for about a year and a half now...primarily 1920s-1950s :flower:
Ever since this spring's collections came out and the whole 20's/30's styles came back, I've been in love with the fashions of those decades. The twenties for the sexual revolt going on, the silhouettes were great and the 30's for the glamour and drama in the clothes. That's why when I saw those illustrations you posted with the Dior make-up, I knew I had seen those faces somewhere, but never knew the artist........what's was Benito's full name?

Originally posted by brian@Jun 29th, 2004 - 10:05 pm
maybe it was just the way that the clothes were styled? :huh:
lots of layering, and way too many accessories?
i've been trying to work out exactly what it was that turned me off so and i think i finally pinpointed it. i think that what galliano designs almost demands a large presentation bc in the end they are very dramatic clothes. however in years past both in ready to wear and the haute couture, galliano's extravaganza's (even with traditional chinese dancers or headdresses or a car in the middle of the catwalk) did not eclipse his clothes. the clothes were so powerful and storytelling that you found yourself mad at the show bc there was still something there.

his spring couture collection aside, i don't think that dior still has that same mix. i looked at those suits and said :huh: not because by the time the trickled into stores i wouldn't like them but bc the product wasn't potent enough. for one of the first times i thought he was hiding behind the show instead of using the show (like mr. mcqueen with his wolves or his wind machine or his dance class)...

back in 2001, for example, he had his big couture show and although the styling was SO over the top and avant garde, you couldn't deny the mastery of the pieces (in the picture the jacket is so amazing my grandmother would wear it, the top was before its time, and the skirt was as only galliano at dior could do...and the styling, while distracting, wasn't apologizing for the clothes)

Attachments

• 00042.jpg
    00042.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 15
I definetly agree with mikeijames....and I forgot who said it but the resemblence between what Alek Wek wore in the hc show and what Karolina Kurkova wore at the RTW show is something I spotted too and I thought it was quite a been there doen that story...most of the show really....

And another thing, am I the only one who saw this: (the one on the absolute left)

benito_dior02b.jpg

And:

100122196.jpg

Perhaps it doesn't say or prove much, but it's just something that I immediatly saw when looking at that Benito pic...

i noticed that as well!!
but i didn't want to be annoying and keep posting pictures :ninja:

:flower:

Originally posted by brian@Jun 30th, 2004 - 7:20 pm
i noticed that as well!!
but i didn't want to be annoying and keep posting pictures :ninja:

:flower:
Hehehe... :innocent:

if only Galliano could recreate the 20's-30's shapes in an elegant way,
it seems that he's having trouble with chaneling his 'inspiration' with
much required style... :rolleyes:

most of all i hate the ugly, silly make-up he's using for his shows

Originally posted by Lena@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 1:34 am

most of all i hate the ugly, silly make-up he's using for his shows
Agreed.....though somethings look gooed, most doesn't and that's why I feel that they have to get rid of Pat McGrath and get a new make-up designer at Dior. Perhaps that new person can turn John's ideas is something that is quite beautifull and awe-inspiring....

i dont think it's a fault of the make up artist,
its just the usual "look here, i'm weird, i need all of your attention"
Galliano artistic :rolleyes: erhhh > direction :sick:

:P

I like it that every opinion on Galliano here is so different. Not two opinions are the same, there are always differences...I like that, that makes a discussion a good discussion. :wink:

Originally posted by Mr-Dale@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 12:34 pm
:P

I like it that every opinion on Galliano here is so different. Not two opinions are the same, there are always differences...I like that, that makes a discussion a good discussion. :wink:
multi cultural, global and diverse :flower:

regarding make up artists, they translate & materialise the designer's 'dream' , image, artistic fantassy.
No one hired by Dior would ever dare say to JG :this is a silly idea,
i'm not doing this :P

he's entertaining and creative and i definitely appreciate him for that but do i really have to 'like' his work? because i dont...
not in line with my definition of classy designing.

and im not a big fan of his model countenances either

i find his work more of entertaining than practical. another thing i dont feel is the fact that theres some monotony in the setting of his shows and the looks

Galliano was the reason why I fell in love with fashion but has recently become the reason why I sometimes loathe it. I loved most of his collections up until his most recent show. I admired his creativity and boldness until I realized that he has been allowing that boldness to become second to corporate desires. Most of the interesting pieces from his shows never make it to stores. They are replaced by cheap J'Adore Dior t-shirts and tacky logo print bags. John Galliano does not design for Dior anymore, he styles for them. I say Arnault should let Galliano focus on CD haute couture and his own label (where I think there is more creativity and less corporate wh*ring) and have someone else take over RTW. Perhaps Hedi Slimane????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->