Dressing For Cold Weather & Winter...

uniqlo - for all your cold weather needs...
all their fleece is actually cute and the heat tech stuff actually works...

i have leggings and tops and they are thin nice and really comfy as well as being chic...
I've stopped wearing tights now that i have the leggings-
i have black and grey and i just got some high-waisted ones in black as well...
they are great under skirts but also as an extra layer under thinner pants-
warmer than tights...
and yes- we all do that!
^_^

now they also do tights and socks---
frankly, all i can think about lately is how i want some heat tech socks now that the weather is turning wintery...

i also have several sheepskin insoles similar to these for some of my boots for added warmth and comfort...
i don't have these exact ones, but you get the idea...
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...oglenonbrand&gclid=CO-tsabPqLsCFag7OgodPzsA6w

my down coat is indispensable during snow---wool just gets too wet...
When i wear a wool coat during the coldest days, i usually wear a big cardigan layered with it- I take them off and put them on together...

i agree that shearling is great-
even faux shearling is great!
i have a shearling trapper hat and shearling lined leather gloves which go with me everywhere during winter...

I love to layer. I am still searching for a big woolen black coat. I already bought a big black woolen scarf. And when I go outside I wear legging under my jeans en big socks. I will also buys leather boots next week. Those will keep me warm.

Is REI as good as Eastern Mountain Sports?

Oohh... your lucky you have an REI store nearby, wish we had one, it's a good place to shop! Like Lucy92 said, it's a bit more expensive but worth it if you want to invest a few quality winter garments. I mean, they will last you forever if you treat them well. And I don't blame you about not wanting to give up beauty when it comes to outwear, I'm sure eventually you could find something that has both function and is very aesthetically pleasing. Personally, I sort of like the "rugged/I've lived in a cold climate my whole life sort of outdoorsy aesthetic" when it comes to winter wear, but it's definitely not everyones taste. Oh, one more thing you might like (that I forgot to mention in my original post), is getting some nice wool socks. My mom knits me mine and I wear them all the time, they are in all sorts of fun bright colors (which I appreciate seeing in the winter months). I tend to wear them with my bean boots for added warmth. But I'm sure you could find some in a nice shop or even a yarn store if you want them to be a bit handmade. And awww.. and it's no problem, having lived my whole life in a winter climate, I think I've got a routine down and I'm always happy to share it with others. ^_^

^ I'm going to order those asap! thanks both of you! :heart: my feet are always cold and I didn't even know something like that existed!, I love one of the reviews "there's a funky smell maybe I should wear socks".. :rolleyes::lol:

I don't blame you about not wanting to give up beauty when it comes to outwear, I'm sure eventually you could find something that has both function and is very aesthetically pleasing. Personally, I sort of like the "rugged/I've lived in a cold climate my whole life sort of outdoorsy aesthetic" when it comes to winter wear
Deep bottom me too... the other day I bought a jacket for running from Adidas, the 100% functional design type, instant crush in the mens section (I think the amount of pockets is always proportional to the amount of chances I'll buy something!), and just last night I realized it's from their climawarm line and has thermolite fabric. Someone that knows her purchases. :meow:

I think caring for aesthetics is temporary for me now, I want so much faux fur it's ridiculous (and I will probably look ridiculous since it's a university town)... and it's mostly because I could never wear it here (in daylight anyway :lol:).

Going to check out REI as soon as I'm in the area! thanks! (Lucy too!)

Mullet: Relocating to snow-land! :heart::blush:

I hate hate hate the cold but I'm set for the European winter.

What I wear:

Underneath:
Uniqlo Heat Tech l/s Tee
Cashmere sweaters

Over:
Zara thigh-length belted down coat (boring but necessary)
Long grey fur coat
Long sweeping cashmere black Don Giovanni kind of coat with dramatic collar
(NB: this is not warm enough for winter).

Shoes:
Heat tech tights and socks and then I wear:
long boots with (also) sheepskin insoles.
Also I have these kind of laced-up Inuit (?) style Uggs (yessir I do and I love them!)

Also:
A lovely white cable knit Ushanka-style cap and lovely faux-fur long huge eccentric furry octopus thingy from Tsumori Chisato

I really don't like the sporty ski/mountaineer look. I don't ski and I'm not sporty. I love to look like a bundled up Mongolian. Though I'm not Mongolian either. :smile:

(I know! I have a countdown on my phone named ":heart::heart:" :wacko: :lol:, gah you gotta pay me a visit!)

Looking like I got lost on my way to the yurt is more my thing too :lol:.. and I'm already coming to terms with looking like I ended up in outer space instead!

Sounds like Uniqlo is the final answer on warm basics. I'll try to stock up online after Christmas.

If it's below freezing all I care about is pure function (at least with outerwear). So: black north face shaffle jacket (you can wear a single cotton tee underneath it and still be warm), black north face nuptse mitts, and some sorta knit hat (ATM I'm favoring my old red prada skully).

Last edited by a moderator:
OK- i never heard of this brand but i guess it's canadian and they know something about snow and bad weather!
Pajar...
a lot of ski kind of stuff but also some cute stuff that i am starting to be interested in...

i confess- i adore these ridiculous things...the CHER boots!...:woot:
i would wear them...
though the ones i am thinking of getting are far more practical...
:lol:

http://www.pajar.com/us_en/cher.html?___SID=U

does anyone have any experience with this brand?

when its super cold and snowy here, like last weeks, I wear tights/legging under my jeans cause jeans are never warm,
I dont care how I look but I love layering I wear long arm tshirts I bought from HM and Mango.I also bought %80 wool jumpers from Benetton.I see so many people wearing Moncler coats this winter its an über trend here mostly for men.:shock:

I like to wear good gloves they save me also a big knit scarf.I also check out Copenhagen Street Style photos for winter styling inspirations.:blush:

uniqlo did new stuff about 1.5 times warmer called "heat tech extra warm" this winter.

also heat tech sweater etc

uniqlo

Attachments

• 09_085571.jpg
    09_085571.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 085571_sub6.jpg
    085571_sub6.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 318T_130930ekSVhw.jpg
    318T_130930ekSVhw.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2
nani!?
i have to check for that now- thanks runner!

i confess that i did just get a pair of those shorty leggings- but with a high waist...
i thought they would come in handy under a short skirt...
:innocent:...

^^^yeah- so that stuff is already mostly sold out in the soho store!
only large sizes left now...
:lol:...

my furry lined knit pants are turning out to be super warm and comfy and i am really happy with that purchase so far!

sadly- a puffy coat is the only thing really warm enough on these frozen winter days...
all my other coats just gather dust and all my resolutions to wear more fur just fall away as i grab trusty my long puffer every single day...

my TAO motorcycle boots have also proven to be fantastic for the ice and snow...
the huge treaded sole takes on the treacherous terrain beautifully while still looking awesomely cool...
this gives me great confidence as i walk and watch others struggling with both...
i put one of those insanely amazing japanese insoles in them so now i practically float along... (black faux sheepskin with gel molding)
i am interesting in making them a bit warmer and am looking for an idea -
thinking that i will make some faux sheepskin socks to line them with...
how cozy would that be?!?...
:woot:...

yes that sounds cozy.
also "expedition weight" socks from patagonia could still be good, though I have not bought anything from patagonia for years.

patagonia.com

Attachments

• 50130_155.jpg
    50130_155.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 50130_961.jpg
    50130_961.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
^ I love these! :heart:

I ordered heattech turtlenecks in some lovely, ugly prints last night. The purchase alone warms me up for the (rumored) snow... thanks guys!

Also found some pretty ridiculous faux fur that's got me all happy, sad news (much like softgrey) is that apparently it's useless for cold AND extremely humid weather (I'll look like a sad wet cat!) so I'll also end up having to get one of those puffy, practical-looking sporty jackets. I might as well get the yoga pants and Uggs and be my own nightmare. Ugh. :lol::doh:

I got one of the Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Parkas for my recent trip to Seattle. It's super-light, rolls into a small cylinder for easy packing, and is unbelievably warm considering how thin and light it is. I'm impressed!

ETA: was also told that it wasn't so bad as to need to be paired with yoga pants and Uggs, MulletProof! :D

Also, I swear by Heat Tech. :lol:

^ as usual the colors for men are much better! (deep red, deep green, deep everything), whereas women's jackets come in all shades of pink, and rotten orange.

I'll probably get a black one..

(thank you! now that we have the look, we can start a business dropping kids at school at 7 am :zorro:)

yes that sounds cozy.
also "expedition weight" socks from patagonia could still be good, though I have not bought anything from patagonia for years.

patagonia.com
i had the same idea and i found these from smartwool at a good price so i got a couple prs in navy and taupe...
i figure they'll be good until i figure out how to make some booties!
ha!
http://www.smartwool.com/womens-hike-medium-crew-3.html

those from patagonia seem a bit more stylish though...

MP-
just make sure you get a coat long enough to cover your bum...
the short ones may be cute, but you will literally freeze your a** off!
:lol::lol::lol:

note*-went ice skating this year at rockefeller center and one of the group was like a poster child for uniqlo with the puffer vest over the puffer jacket - both in navy...
he looked adorable!
seems like everyone in the nyc area has at least one of those jackets...
they are also thin enough to be worn under another jacket for an extra layer of warmth...
i'm sure you look adorable tang!

MP- don't they have the basics like navy and grey for women?
also- those heat tech things work just as well inside out, in case you can find some on sale and don't love the patterns ...
:innocent:

^ They do! (and it's all on sale!) but I'm trying to resist the urge cause I'm always buying grey, and I'm partial to Eley Kishimoto prints (and grandma decor :lol:).

I'm wearing a Gio Goi Jarcity Jacket in Black. Seems to keep me really warm outside, more so than I expected it to I gotta say. Thinking about getting a warming Jacket/Coat for when it starts to get 'really' cold though. Maybe a Superdry Wind Cheater. Could somebody recommend me something? :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->