Dressing For Cold Weather & Winter...

There is an ocean of puffy coats out there around here. I've just noticed it a few weeks ago because I had an assigment relevant to that piece.
It seems like a classic now that every winter I make something violently voluminous to stand the cold. I am going for "ball of fabric" look I guess.

i love cashmere sweaters. i own three that i rotate throughout winter. one is navy, one grey, and one "acorn" shade from j crew with a black lopsided heart on it.
I love layering my collared shirts underneath.
For jackets, i prefer my army green faux-fur hooded anorak to my puffy navy blue winter jacket.
i would really love a canada goose down jacket though! (waay out of my price range)
i also own a bright blue pashmina, i only wear it sometimes because i feel it is very loud and attention-grabbing.
i also like wearing my faux uggs. i have knightsbridge boots in black, but i outgrew them because my calves are too big to fit in them anymore.:lol::smile:cry:smile:
here is a pic of miranda kerr wearing them:
miranda-kerr-and-ugg-gallery.jpg

i love them but your calves have to be SO thin for them to zip in the back. i was so surprised to see her swimming in them.

i love winter though, i'm in upstate ny.
the main thing is just to layer up and make sure your feet are warm.

Loving my anorak jacket, cashmere poloneck sweaters and woollen slacks and jeans right now.

I wear a Zara wool jacket (last season; there aren't any pictures of it on the website any longer) at times, and my boyfriend's tweed blazer (it's like a coat on me!) at times. As for boots: thick socks under Docs.

my new thing is that i wear a brimmed wool cap with a hooded coat and put the hood up over the hat...
this is instead of earmuffs...

*i lent mine to someone last year and never got them back...

i now have three perfect wool hunting/military caps--
one black (Yohji), one grey (Kaplow), one olive (Filson)...

:clap:

the only way i could imagine getting another is if i found something in dark navy- maybe with some sot of naval influence...
but- yeah- i like wool caps like this, especially for keeping snow or rain off my face and out of my eyes...

Last edited by a moderator:
rakuten

Attachments

• imgrc0080930683.jpg
    imgrc0080930683.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1
i've been wearing legwarmers with my ankle boots...
comfy and cozy...

^_^

Slipping is my most important issue

^ Not slipping? :wink:

Here the weather keeps changing ... :wacko: This weekend it's going to be up to 75, so I should get a chance to wear one of my new spring pieces ... very unusual for this to happen in January.

Yep here it doesn't rain much so snow sometimes stays forever. And fluffy too sometimes.
Few days ago temperature has dropped and there are all these streams of ice down hills... When I shop for shoes, I usually read if it says slip-resistant. I wonder if Yohji, Dries etc normally just carry slip-resistant? Or any other ideas for slip-resistant...

Tomorrow I think I'm going to wear a longsleeve t-shirt dress (partially made of wool), thicker black jeggings, and calf high black boots. I know the dress over jeggings might look stupid but I think it works, they just look like thick tights. I just want to wear this dress.

I am thinking of getting something like I would be able to wear outside and stay warm
Yet keep it on indoors and it doesn't keep me too hot.

Is that possible?

Has this been invented yet?

I have a down throw on my sofa, and it is pretty good in all weathers, but I don't think a down coat really works the same way ...

I am thinking of getting something like I would be able to wear outside and stay warm
Yet keep it on indoors and it doesn't keep me too hot.

Is that possible?

A good quality sweater will keep you fairly temperate and dress in layers so if things do warm up somewhat too much, you can discard what you don't need.

I am currently living in a Nordic country and its very cold most of the year.I survive with G star puffy long coat and other wool coats dont work for me anymore. Puffy long coat is the best and I will buy one again. I also need coat with a hoodie cause it rains alot and hood helps.I also use wool scarves and wool gloves feels like a child. Most of my boots are classic ankle boots and I live in my jeans even I am a fashion lover its hard to be fashionable while I am freezing.:(

Has this been invented yet?

I have a down throw on my sofa, and it is pretty good in all weathers, but I don't think a down coat really works the same way ...
Have you ever tried thermals?

I guess leggings can be used for the same thing. I've never tried them before.

I have this woman's 'sweater'
It is stretch and very fine but it keeps me hot if I get hot.

A good quality sweater will keep you fairly temperate and dress in layers so if things do warm up somewhat too much, you can discard what you don't need.

I'm really aiming for not having to change out of clothes. I will be strapped for time for when I will need it.
Legs are the main issue since my coat is warm enough for the upper area.

If I do have to take off a layer i am considering legwarmers.
Recently I wear itchy but warm long wool socks and it has been working alright.
I imagine I can take legwarmers off quickly. I found one in my drawers a few days ago. I'm not sure if it is mine though hehe

I have tried thermals, but I don't consider it dignified to wear them out of the house, never have :wink: But they're great for cold nights. LL Bean sells (I assume still does?) Duofolds--wool on the outside, cotton on the inside, so they don't scratch.

I think you should invent this thing you want and become famous for it :wink:

I wouldn't wear the textured ones in public, but I thought they might be available in other fabrics.

Turns out my socks work pretty well. I keep them on and I'm fine.
Sometimes I think that it is the itchiness actually that keeps me warm.

Regarding the smart fabric, I thought it existed already because for people who work out, their clothes can't trap the heat they generate when they exercise.
There are more complex fabrics like that. I thought it existed cos I used to read about them 10 years ago. But I looked it up and it is still being researched. The non Activewear kind anyhow.

^^^ Smart fabric has been around for some time. But these performance/ activewear with the supposedly promised of both retaining heat and cooling effect aren’t meant for normal wear— so I don’t think you’ll feel their effects if you’re just wearing them for everyday use. Your best bet would be to invest in pure silk henleys and long johns. Silk has this uncanny characteristic to keep you warm and cool— and it’s not bulky so you don’t look like the Michelin Man. Brands like Eddie Bauer sell silk long underwear. Also try Patagonia, or any sporting/ outdoors goods shop that carries high quality performance brands.

No matter how cold it gets— and it can get a tad cold in the winter here in Toronto, with -40 degrees with the wind shield, I’ve not felt the need to wear thermal underwear. I don’t work outdoors and I move really really really fast when I’m out in the streets so I’m always warm. Invest in genuinely warm clothing: Pure melton wools, multi-ply cashmeres, leathers, furs, premium down, hi-tech nylons etc. Those twinkie H&M/Zara/TopShop coats will not keep anyone warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->