Dressing For Cold Weather & Winter...

How do you dress for cold weather?

It snowed here today, and I am personally completely horrible when it comes to dressing for cold weather, I always get depressed because I can't do it fashionably and feel like I look disgusting. haha, so how do you dress for cold weather? I need tips!

In winter usually i wear boots with two stockings, one silky + one warm and knee long skirt made of tweed or other warm material. Don't forget, a well choosen scarf and hat make miracles. ^^

It was snowing this morning :( and I wasn't wearing enough..

I think a big stylish scarf can do a big difference.

I think there are great clothes for cold weather but I never know what to wear when it rains + it's cold. I don't really like anoraks or anything like that and I always leave my umbrella everywhere...

i actually don't have any winter clothing... the only item that is actually 'cold weather'-like is a coat.... other than that i'll just layer up my spring/summer/fall clothing -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
always at least three layers

undershirt
sweater
coat/jacket

boots with thick wool socks (I love hiking socks and recommend them to everyone, worth every penny)

and most importantly, cover your head and your neck!

i need to get a new jacket..i think at least 2-3 pairs of shoes, at least 2 nice jackets, and many many scarves will help me feel pretty through the winter. i can't do hats..they mess up my hair so bad

samegirlyouknow said:
It snowed here today, and I am personally completely horrible when it comes to dressing for cold weather, I always get depressed because I can't do it fashionably and feel like I look disgusting. haha, so how do you dress for cold weather? I need tips!

I know exactly how you feel!!!
I love skirt and dresses, and hate chunky, big sweaters and pants. Unfortunately the only way to stay warm is to wear these clothes....bleh :yuk:

My trick: lots of layers
- skirts with thick tights and knee-high boots;
- dresses with cardigans or wrap tops, or put a long sleeved shirt or turtleneck underneath it;
- long sleeved shirts with feminine (puff sleeved) blazers;
- leather gloves, long scarves.

Warm underwear also helps...

:blush: Like this. But preferably with many many more layers of tights:shock: Keep those nice pins warm.

Attachments

• kate367.jpg
    kate367.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
  • kate308.jpg
    kate308.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6
I have great trouble with this,since I grew up in South Africa. I have had to learn layering,I still forget/lose my scarf/gloves all over the place,I forget that you can't have little bits of skin bare at your neck....and I feel like a pig-in-a-blanket in a coat :lol: .

I pretty much layer and I tend to just wear sweaters or shirts over my tanks, t-sh*ts & sleeveless shirts. Along with that, of course, comes the winter jacket and the scarves & gloves. :smile:

I normally wear a Tshirt or a shirt under a sweater, or a turtleneck+a cardigan (I don't have matching twin sets...I hate them). For bottom, I wear either wool pants+heels or wool pants tucked in UGGs or knee length skirts + legwarmer + UGGs or heels or rainboots.

The key is that I have a couple of coats for different weather. I have two coats for 40F-50F weather, one for 30-40F, and then when temperature is below 30F or even lower than zero, I have a DKNY full length down coat with a hood. That one is extremely warm. In the worst snowstorm, I once even put on a ski goggle to block the wind :ninja:
A scarf is important, too.

I grew up in a warm climate, and likewise had to get used to dressing for cold weather. I take a kind of opposite approach from many - I *hate* layering. With a passion. (Socks is almost too much layering.)

I learned to look for really truly warm fabrics in outerwear. My best find ever was a resale store thick Hungarian wool cape (not quite Drac, but close). Under that I'd just have boots (ok, and socks), a warm pair of trousers and a sweater (nothing too fluffy, sheddy or scratchy). And gloves.

It really makes a difference whether you get things that are closely-woven so not much air really gets through, vs. open weave. And look into things like wool, silk, microfleece and anything in the world made by North Face.

Layering beyond what I mentioned makes me feel fat and kind of claustrophobic. I love the idea of the little kids' one-piece zipup suits that have everything from the footies to the hoodie built in.

If you can't dress in under a minute and undress in 15 seconds, you're overlayered in my book. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm usually cold all the time, even in summer I'm the one who cozy's up under the blankets. In winter, I need a good jacket (have got several this saeson actually), tons of scarves, woolen tights, layers of sweaters/cardigans (love those cardigans!), leather gloves...
And for those norwegians in here; Ulvang undertøy! :lol:

I live in Houston, Texas so it never gets really cold here, and never snows (with the excuse of last xmas when it snowed a bit) So yea, I usualy wear a hoodie or a warm long jacket. Or if its really cold I'll wear a hoodie and a jacket and some gloves. I never wear scarves because I feel weird when wearin em, like claustrophobic. never do hats. I prolly should but I doubt I will. Oh yea...HOT CHOCOLATE IS MY FRIEND!!!

~Sher~

I don't. I stay in bed till it goes away :ninja:

I name and shame: Peterhouse College, Cambridge for not giving two f***ks about their students' health by having awful heating which is not on most of the time.

SiennaInLondon said:
I name and shame: Peterhouse College, Cambridge for not giving two f***ks about their students' health by having awful heating which is not on most of the time.

welcome to student hall life. :doh: when I lived in halls I would end up wearing about five layers, including my coat, just to sit and study. it really is shameful what they force students to suffer, especially with residence costs being what they are...:ninja:

like caffeine, I have two coats - one for semi-cold weather (which I'm using at the moment as we've not been plunged into the true depths of winter yet), and one for really cold weather (which I expect to be breaking out around december).
I'm really cold natured, so I tend to layer up underneath my coats quite a lot. long sleeved tees underneath v-necks or woolly cardigans...as well as that essential long scarf. I also love my little black beanie and my black beret, though it's not been cold enough to break them out just yet.
here, unfortunately, one must also worry about keeping the rain out as well as the cold. I actually am not a fan of boots (I much prefer delicate flat shoes), but I have to wear boots otherwise my feet get wet. boots are also good because they really do keep your legs warm!

I bring out the scarves Ive made...I realllly wanna make one that looks like this scarf from the Dries Van Noten 04 collection..posted by morbidexistence n the scarves thread... sooo soo in love with those scarves

I'm also incorporating more tights and more light sweaters under coats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger30000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->