Dries Van Noten S/ S 05

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 7 2004, 01:36 PM
i don't think so...the prints are world's apart...marni always does those graphic retro prints...and very different accessories...sharper edges...dries is softer and more washed looking...

but i do think it's essentially the same customer for both collections... :flower:
[snapback]389280[/snapback]​

I :heart: this- I am a huge fan of prints, done the right way. Softie, I think you are right on here- the prints are subdued, like your grandmother's utra-fine linens washed and hung dry hundred of times. Gorgeous. I also love the woven geometric skirts- its like wearing one of Dries' amazing scarfs around half of your body.

Originally posted by paprika_hiccup@Oct 7 2004, 05:32 PM
I :heart: this- I am a huge fan of prints, done the right way. Softie, I think you are right on here- the prints are subdued, like your grandmother's utra-fine linens washed and hung dry hundred of times. Gorgeous. I also love the woven geometric skirts- its like wearing one of Dries' amazing scarfs around half of your body.
[snapback]389536[/snapback]​
just a side note..my grandmother used to talk of laundry day in sicily...it was a big job and took all day...but it was a time for all the women to get together and spend the day... they actually drew water from the well and scrubbed all the linens by hand and hung them to dry...like you said...

that was her favorite time... :flower: :heart:

i plan to make some clothing from some of the pieces i inherited... :heart:

I LOVE this collection. :heart:
I've been so busy lately this is one of the first Euro collections I've had a chance to look at and I think it's absolutely beautiful. Not to mention the amazing styling.

OT-Soft, if all goes as planned, I could lend you a hand with sewing :innocent:

Originally posted by purechris@Oct 7 2004, 06:17 PM

OT-Soft, if all goes as planned, I could lend you a hand with sewing :innocent:
[snapback]389577[/snapback]​

keeping my fingers crossed for you chris... :flower: :woot:

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 7 2004, 08:44 AM
i have a table cloth that i want to make into a skirt from my grandmother...
[snapback]388950[/snapback]​
That perfectly sums up how I feel about the majority of this collection.

:flower:
The art of dreaming and translating it into clothes is the essence of creative fashion. Dries Van Noten is a rare example in a vanity profession of a talent grounded in reality, yet with the ability to conjure up magic.
A table stretching into infinity, lit by a tipsy tumble of chandeliers, seemed like a mirage as guests arrived in a desolate factory in the edgy outskirts of Paris. Surely this fairy-tale banquet, the line up of waiters serving with the precision of a Busby Berkeley movie and the sweet woman in white turning the table into a ghostly runway were all part of those surreal dreams that affect fashion folk after three weeks on the road?
The event was both Van Noten's celebration of his 50th show and a sweet ode to womanhood. His collection, with its full, white cotton blouses lapped across the torso, the voluminous but never heavy skirts, the patterns conjuring up gardens in full flower, all expressed his own gentle outlook.
The models walked out to Maurice Ravel's "Bolero," with sweet faces below iron work in the hair like a flattened diadem. They wore the Belgian designer's easy pieces from full skirts to trim, long shorts. Nothing was silly or sexed up - just beautiful and serene: a cotton trench coat over linen pants; a full skirt with a faded flower print or a bolder, shimmering brocade print below a full-sleeved blouse. Patterns were subtle.
Bras peeped modestly from shirt fronts. Apron wrap skirts revealed a different fabric at the back. At the end of the show, after Van Noten gave a brief acknowledgment to the mighty ovation, high-tech shelving descended to place a book in front of the 500 guests.
It tells the story of a designer who has made a mark on fashion - modestly.

from Suzy Menkes IHT

Dries Van Noten: Fashion is a movable feast, as few know better than Dries Van Noten, who, since 1985, has thrilled with collections inspired by Morocco, Turkey, China — anywhere and everywhere his talent takes him. In honor of his 50th show — counting both men’s and women’s presentations — he invited his audience on a voyage to La Courneuve, or as one driver called it, “le Bronx de Paris.” And what a trip it was.

Lucky guests who made the 40-minute commute arrived to find a spectacular mise-en-scène awaiting them in the dim center of a gas-tank factory. But then, Van Noten’s dreamy dinner-and-a-show concept is best summed up by the numbers: 500 guests sat at a single 492-foot-long table covered in two tablecloths, where 320 waiters and 20 sommeliers served dinner by the glow of 150 chandeliers. The wine flowed. The plates arrived — and later disappeared — in a single, well-choreographed fell swoop. Then came the moment of truth, the show itself. “He could show a gunny sack at this point,” said one satiated editor. Yes, the evening was that enchanting, and the theatrics that grand. But more importantly, Van Noten’s clothes — 70 looks and nary a gunny sack among them — were a feast for the eyes.

The chandeliers rose toward the ceiling, and models took to the table top in pretty light cotton blouses and skirts in hazy faded florals that expressed the adventuresome, folksy chic of Dries at his best. Other designers may dabble in circle skirts, but Van Noten does them right, whether worn under embroidered aprons or sparkling with silvery trim at their borders. Meanwhile, peasant blouses embroidered in panels at the sleeves were intricate enough to seem authentic, but light enough to be au courant, and featherweight gauze dresses begged for a day of strolling under the sun. His collection was pure Dries, and though the house is hitting the 20th-anniversary mark, it all looked as fresh as if he were starting out on day one.

from wwd :flower:

:woot: :woot: beautiful collection :flower:
I love the softness to it, the designs are so whimsical and lovely. I don't really like some of the prints but other than that it's a fantastic collection! :heart: :heart: :blush:

driesvannoten_4.jpg

driesvannoten_5.jpg

love the skirts they are all gorgeous! I want one next summer - hope they won't be too ££££.

Didn't like the collection at first...but it has grown on me :heart:

Originally posted by Hanne@Oct 17 2004, 09:39 AM
Didn't like the collection at first...but it has grown on me :heart:
[snapback]399502[/snapback]​
Same here, but I still don't like it a whole lot.

the b&w semi ethnic skirt is FAB, thanks for the closeups runner

those shoes with the red heels are irresistable!...
thanks for the extra shots runner... :flower:

love the new pics! and thos shoes! :heart:

Man... the wife beater with the short, full skirts.... :wub:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->