Edie Sedgwick #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbis

Thanks so much for the nice comment about my blog..it's nothing really^^ I made it for me..to have something to do when I'm bored^^

^that's true! but look at the previous pages of the thread it's waaaaaay better than factory girl! :lol:

I love Edie, but I think Andy ruined her. My friend who is obsessed with her has a 5 minute video on his phone that he watches constantly... :lol:

^i think andy was superficial, he himself used to say it a lot. but i don't think he ruined her.
in the book "please kill me - the uncensored oral history of punk" nico said: "there are some things which are born for, and edie was born to die because of her pleasures. *** [...]" and i think it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
here are some from corbis.com
sorry if reposts.

Attachments

• 42-20374035.jpg
    42-20374035.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 42-20374036.jpg
    42-20374036.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 32
  • 42-20504928.jpg
    42-20504928.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 42-20495905.jpg
    42-20495905.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 42-20495745.jpg
    42-20495745.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 42-20495846.jpg
    42-20495846.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 42-20495850.jpg
    42-20495850.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 42-20495744.jpg
    42-20495744.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 26
they're reposts but we're not getting any new pics anyway so I love seeing them^^
Thanks for posting.
And yeah I agree with you, Andy didn't ruin her, he was against those thinks she took, and she wanted to be famous..

:woot: Thank you Loonaka and atoomic!! So many photos in a day! :D :flower:

I don't know about Andy.. my fabricated opinion ( :lol: ) is that he was fascinated with her.. Was a bit too possessive and was angry with her (after he stopped making films with her) which in her fragile state pushed her towards the downward spiral more. ***
I just wish someone would've told her to slow down / stop , and Andy would've been the perfect candidate to do so..

Ah but that's a very interesting quote atoomic!

I think people tried to stop her tho...I mean everyone wanted to save her, but it's hard and she had big problems..

^that's true. i read a book that said andy wanted to help her even when they stopped to work together, but she was so envolved with her problems and stuff that she didn't accept his help.
i know a lot of people that think their relationship was exactly like factory girl, what's shame because factory girl missed a lot of facts about their relationship.

I think people tried to stop her tho...I mean everyone wanted to save her, but it's hard and she had big problems..

Yeah true.. it's not an easy problem. And how they dealt with them those days is much different from now, did they even have rehab centers back then?

There's an interesting interview with Guy Pearce about Andy here
http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEcWlddjWKfMfl
I liked this little tidbit of information:

(Guy Pearce speaking about what Brigit Berlin shared with him) "Oh, November 16th, 1971, go to the box and you'll find I tell Andy Edie died.' And sure enough, I go to the box and there's a tape, I tell Andy Edie died. And their conversation is just so heartbreaking.

What was Andy's reaction?

Guy Pearce:
He had a number of reactions, the phone conversation goes for five minutes, and there were a couple of moments, he's clearly shocked and stunned by what's happened. And his very first reaction is to go, 'Who, what, where, how, why, who,' and he does an incredible job of evading the actual information. Then there's a huge long pause - they end up talking about her husband for awhile, Michael Post, and then there's this huge long pause and Andy says, 'Does he get all the money?' And then they get back into it again, and Brigit's clearly not happy with that response, and then there's another big pause, after they talk about some other stuff, and Andy says, and you can tell he's about to cry, he says, 'Gee, I just thought she was going to pull through and get well,' or something like that. So in typical Warhol fashion, I think he didn't want to attach to the emotional response and tried to evade.

Hmmm, I agree her problems contributed to her death, but I think Andy really is responsible as well. He also ruined Nico. I dont care for him whatsoever.

I think it's so unfair to say that Andy ruined anyones life..Like we can never be sure about what went on in the factory or whatever..and this is not really the thread for this discussion anyway,.

Well its Edie's thread so where else would I discuss her life and how she wanted just a spray to lighten her hair to blonde but instead she cut and bleached it and people thought she was trying to be Andy, when he (who was just a little doodler of soaps and kitschy crap) grew to be hated by a lot of the scene from back then? Hearst Publications anyone? :innocent:

Well if you're going to put the blame on Andy you'd have to put it on everyone Edie hung out with back then that didn't stop her from taking drugs. In the end it was Edie who chose to do drugs and Edie who made bad decisions. Edie still sent Andy a card when he got shot and said that he was very important to her so i don't think Edie was that resentful towards him. And Andy definitely didn't ruin Nico!

love your blog loonaka. just went on it. how tall was edie

Well if you're going to put the blame on Andy you'd have to put it on everyone Edie hung out with back then that didn't stop her from taking drugs. In the end it was Edie who chose to do drugs and Edie who made bad decisions. Edie still sent Andy a card when he got shot and said that he was very important to her so i don't think Edie was that resentful towards him. And Andy definitely didn't ruin Nico!

Thank you!
Look, Edie did have a very sad life, but as babydoll1125 said, she chose to do all that she did. Certainly her environment influenced her, but Andy was not the only person she was ever with. In fact, if I remember correctly, she was supposedly doing drugs in Cambridge, MA - before she was ever in New York and before she ever met Andy. As well as with the people she surrounded herself with, she could've chosen not to. Yes, they did prey on her, but in the end, she was a human with a mind and freely could make decisions. I'm so sick of Andy Warhol being painted as if he somehow stole all of the magic from Edie Segwick and tat somehow she made him famous - which was not at all true, considering he was very successful in his own right by 1962/3, two or three years before they ever met. And it's such a tired idea that Edie Sedgwick was some poor, helpless, pure soul who was maliciously destroyed by all she came in contact with. And really, if the same people who say that claim to adore her so, how disrespectful. I mean really, give her some credit - you make her sound as if she were an idiot who was incapable of any real thought or self defense.

Sorry. /End rant.

how tall was edie

I think she was around 5'5" or 5'6".

And I too, love the blog loonaka! Some of the pictures are completely new to me - thank you! =]

i think she was under a spell that she couldnt break. everyone said that Andy was like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacur368
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->