Gucci F/W 04.05 Milan

Well, if everybody has read the review like they say they have, then why are they saying that this collection didn't offer anything new. You'd think that would sink in. What exactly did u mean soft grey when you said you also have your own opinions? Is that to say that anybody who like this collection was blinded by Tom Ford's celebrity or the hype surrounding the show? Don't you think it's possible that people actually liked it based on their own opinions? And what would that have to do with reading a review, usually a review of a runway show offers more of a description of what was presented, not really what the critic's opinion is.

Originally posted by Spike413@Feb 28th, 2004 - 11:22 pm
Well, if everybody has read the review like they say they have, then why are they saying that this collection didn't offer anything new. You'd think that would sink in. What exactly did u mean soft grey when you said you also have your own opinions? Is that to say that anybody who like this collection was blinded by Tom Ford's celebrity or the hype surrounding the show? Don't you think it's possible that people actually liked it based on their own opinions? And what would that have to do with reading a review, usually a review of a runway show offers more of a description of what was presented, not really what the critic's opinion is.
i'm sorry if you're confused, but i thought i was very clear...if you look back on this thread, i originally posted cathy horyn's review from the ny times (which was very positive). both she and the style.com reviewer actually did offer their own opinions of the final show and collection. i'm sure it was quite breathtaking to be in a room with the music pumping and rose petals flying through the air. it would be hard not to get swept up in the moment...

that said-i simply disagree with their assessment of the collection and have my own opinion regarding tom ford and what his approach to the business has done to fashion as a whole, not just at gucci...he's not alone-LVMH and Prada are doing it too...the corporatization of fashion is killing it's soul :flower: i hope that answers your questions :flower:

if you'd like to understand more-i refer you to the YSL on Tom Ford thread...monsieur st laurent explained it all very well,imo B)

Originally posted by softgrey@Feb 28th, 2004 - 11:56 pm
he's not alone-LVMH and Prada are doing it too...the corporatization of fashion is killing it's soul
that's true. pretty much like corporatization of everything else... :(

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Feb 28th, 2004 - 9:23 pm
Believe me, I've read the views on this show and I know very well that Tom was going for a retrospective of his entire career. That doesn't change my opinion at all.
Exactly B)

i must say something because it is really too convenient for everyone to harp on tom ford now...tom ford at gucci DEFINED a fashion aesthetic for the second half of the nineties. he rearranged how we thought about modern fashion and while the gucci sex-kitten may not be popular now, it's simply because there is an overall conservative trend in fashion now. i'm not quite sure who to blame, but someone, somewhere wants to see women like they were in the early part of the century: and in this portrait of a "lady" they want us to forget all of the injustices and lack of rights that women had in those ages. yes, they photographed spectacularly, but the first few decades of this century were not the best for women. tom ford had a vision of a powerful independent woman of today and while everyone here may no longer like that woman, she's still here and she still loves to look sexy, sophisticated, and rich, when it's appropriate to do so. and no one dressed that woman like tom did. :(

Originally posted by mikeijames@Feb 29th, 2004 - 9:34 am
and no one dressed that woman like tom did. :(
see-that's a problem...last time i checked ...i was still able to dress myself...no one dresses an intelligent woman...she chooses for herself and i choose something else :flower:

(mikeijames @ Feb 29th, 2004 - 9:34 am)
and no one dressed that woman like tom did. 

see-that's a problem...last time i checked ...i was still able to dress myself...no one dresses an intelligent woman...she chooses for herself and i choose something else

I don't think he meant it literally :doh: , I think he might be trying to say that Tom Ford made clothes for a certain kind of women, who fits somewhere into the whole sexy, chic, and sosphisticated kind of mood. Learn to read between the lines... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ebowleg@Feb 29th, 2004 - 11:47 am
(mikeijames @ Feb 29th, 2004 - 9:34 am)
and no one dressed that woman like tom did.  

see-that's a problem...last time i checked ...i was still able to dress myself...no one dresses an intelligent woman...she chooses for herself and i choose something else

I don't think he meant it literally :doh: , I think he might be trying to say that Tom Ford made clothes for a certain kind of women, who fits somewhere into the whole sexy, chic, and sosphisticated kind of mood. Learn to read between the lines... :rolleyes:
ok-enough... :angry: i'm trying to be friendly and you're being insulting...geez-have a sense of humor...it's only fashion, for god's sake!!! :yuk:

Originally posted by softgrey+Feb 28th, 2004 - 11:56 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Feb 28th, 2004 - 11:56 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spike413@Feb 28th, 2004 - 11:22 pm
i'm sorry if you're confused, but i thought i was very clear...if you look back on this thread, i originally posted cathy horyn's review from the ny times (which was very positive). both she and the style.com reviewer actually did offer their own opinions of the final show and collection. i'm sure it was quite breathtaking to be in a room with the music pumping and rose petals flying through the air. it would be hard not to get swept up in the moment...

that said-i simply disagree with their assessment of the collection and have my own opinion regarding tom ford and what his approach to the business has done to fashion as a whole, not just at gucci...he's not alone-LVMH and Prada are doing it too...the corporatization of fashion is killing it's soul :flower: i hope that answers your questions :flower:

if you'd like to understand more-i refer you to the YSL on Tom Ford thread...monsieur st laurent explained it all very well,imo B) [/b][/quote]
I completely understood what you said. But the way in which you said it made it sound as though you felt anybody who liked this collection was somehow jaded, whether that be by the presentation, the designer or the image. Your choice of words was what made me ask just what you meant by "I also have my own opinions"

:lol: The models I think that some of them look a bit fake!!! :lol: They look sooo perfect!!! But is this a gucci dress?

I think that the accesories from this collection are going to be flying off the shelves...

00080f.jpg
:heart:
00060f.jpg
00190f.jpg

Tom Ford is not a designer's designer but his clothes are fun and commercial. Even though some of his collections for Gucci are bad, in the past eight seasons he's produced three of my favorite collections to date: the YSL gypsy collection AW01, and AW02 is a one-two punch for Ford with a blockbuster kimono collection at Gucci and velvet suits at YSL. Plus, his shoes rock. Sexy with a flair, and never generic.

His final bow at Gucci however was a style disaster despite his (somewhat lazy) effort to revisit his Gucci classics. The fur is much uglier compared to spring. The architectual jackets and the ruched skirts have seen better days. The nude crystal dresses are bland despite the bling-bling factor and even Nicole Kidman cannot save them. The Halston-inspired white jersey gowns do not seem modern enough. The worst? Neon-colored column gowns with 'fringes.' Pat McGrath's has been doing awful makeup on Gucci girls. And he sure can't get the past famous Gucci girls to show up for his finale?

my friend just got back from milano...apparently she didn't go to the show, but.....she went to the gucci afterparty :shock: ...i'm seeing her friday night for dinner...will give you guys a full report after...

can you imagine??!! that must have been one helluva party!! :innocent:

I was just watching the video at Style.com and I had to ask, does anyone know the name and/or artist of the song that's playing while the four white dresses came down the runway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->