Gucci F/W 07.08 Milan

I love the shoes and the boots as well. Its a lot better than expected, doesn't seem so Gucci though.

There's something about it that doesn't look like Gucci. I don't know what it is. I do like some of the dresses in the end.

peacelover142002 said:
I may be the only one, but I liked the past couple of seasons of Gucci under Frida. Perhaps the collections were a bit schizophrenic, but it was glamorous and on-trend, and even though there were flaws it seemed like she was improving little by little.

Perhaps that is what the Gucci customer is all about. Glamour. She wants to keep the glamour, but reinvent her look a bit every now and then. Perhaps the Gucci woman is a teenage girl at heart, one who has yet to find herself. Or perhaps she's just a trend wh*re. And perhaps that's what Frida is all about too.

This collection seems to fit with that, but I don't like this as much as her past collections. I hate that print that she used, and I think a lot of the pieces come off as a bit frumpy. But maybe the Gucci woman is feeling that this season.

have no problem with her wanting to do glamour. but why not do glamour your own way and not a direct copy of glamour done 60+ years ago? as a designer you should have your look and vocabulary that is distinctively yours, not a direct copy from another era. it seems that she has an infatuation with a strong shoulder but why not make it look a little bit younger and hipper. as much exposure as gucci gets, frida could really be changing fashion for the better.

kimair said:
i thought yves was a member of the "team" not the main designer...just as marc, donna, etc. has a team...
essentially the major design duties (and the reviews, etc.) will fall on frida...she is driving the look...

i agree that it's an improvement over last season...
my comments were more about frida's inability to decide on a direction for the line...
my understanding is that he is head of womenswear...
and that she is overall creative director of gucci....
she still has the final say about what goes down the runway...
just as consuelo casteglioni does at marni...
but the designs are done by others...
just as stefano pilati did under tom ford...
i think the chloe guy (yves) has that role now....
i am sure there are others on the team but i think the point of bringing him over was to lead the women's design team...

i believe that is the structure...
someone correct me if i'm wrong

:P

I really like this,this collection appeals to me and women like me who love and are not afraid to go over the top.I like everything expcet bags!

Interesting, I feel like this collection fits better as a follow on from S/S 06 than it does with S/S 07.

I definately agree with those who said that there is something Cavalli-esque about certain pieces. But I have to say that I am disappointed with the eveningwear, it's just not that strong in comparison to some of the more casual pieces.

am sorry but as a Gucci designer she s doin a lousy job.
granted it s hard to follow on the footsteps of a genius such as Tom Ford, but then again, that should be an even bigger reason for her to really come up with great styles every season. Here she is given this huge opportunity and she s doing a bad job.
i don t think the Tom Ford era woman is liking this:innocent:

Spike413 said:
Let me echo the sentiments of those who've said that Gucci lacks any shred of an identity.

This woman is easily the most schizophrenic designer working today. In four short seasons she has yet to develop an idea and create an image of today's Gucci girl. Salvatore said it best when he mentioned that she seemed so determined to rip away any shred of Ford's Gucci that she completely forgot to consider the image she was replacing it with. Love it or hate it, but at least under Tom Gucci stood for something specific.

It seems to me like she approaches a collection from a place of creating "cute cothes" rather than thinking about the bigger picture.

Now, onto the collection at hand, in someone else's hands, 40's glamour could have been so chic. Modern twists on dressy daywear complete with a peek-a-boo bang would have been fab. Unfortunately this is either too vintage, or just plain random looking English manor dressing. She's also alienating her most visible customer, the Rachael Zoe clique. What the hell are Micha and Lindsay gonna take away from this?

The best way to describe Gucci these days is fragmented at best, and that's a f***ing shame.

really great comment, i couldn't have put it better. my sentiments exactly.

I will probably never be a fan of Giannini, i hated her first collection for Gucci, and every single one after that wasn't a bit thrilling or inspiring to me either. she somehow destroyed the whole gucci concept for me, i mean, what does gucci really still stand for? i got no idea.

nytimes review...

Authentic lives, like the life of Lee Miller, the photographer and onetime lover of Man Ray — whose sparse advice to Vogue upon delivering her pictures of concentration camps was “Believe it” — often feel short-changed by designers of luxury products.

Somehow, an aviator jacket in ostrich and Persian lamb from Gucci, with the brand’s green-and-red canvas stripes at the waist, just doesn’t come up to the level of “Believe it.” Maybe the designer, Frida Giannini, should keep her inspirations to herself. It might also help to avoid designing under the headings of “The 1940s” and “Great Women.”

Whether she knows it or not, Ms. Giannini is a very good designer. In spite of the Gilda hair and lugubrious evening gowns with imitation dress clips, this was her best collection for Gucci. She tried doing sexy clothes — to please, one felt, editors — but Ms. Giannini is a young woman with an eye for tailored, light-hearted sportswear.

Gucci under Tom Ford was a great source for fur-trimmed jackets and classy town coats, and she has made them her business, this season uniting them with tweed aviator pants, cropped knits and gold-embellished platform boots. These looks sparkled with chunky gold bracelets, gloves and shirts with white French cuffs — a nice touch.

Although masculine tailoring was the main event, Ms. Giannini has almost made a fetish of her printed dresses. The best this season is a creamy silk shirtwaist in a gold and blue “bluebell” print with a striped web belt and fluttery sleeve. There were also cute dresses in muddy red tartan and a sleek number in black wool with a kind of bib in leopard-printed fur. The broad-shouldered, ’40s evening dresses seemed a dreary antifashion; here you’re dying a little for sex.

They should rename this the lion's den spot. There is a predominantly negative vibe here and is often unjust criticism.
Ms. Giannini is NOT Tom Ford but give the woman a chance. Rome wasn't built in one day and designers are often shuffled off before sales figures are adequately balanced.
Getting rid of her would be exactly like the Italian political scene: a short term solution but a lot of chaos.

kuba01 said:
I highly doubt LMVH is keeping Frida simply because "they don't want to seem like another fashion house in trouble".

In fact, that notion is ridiculous. The bottom line is that if a collection doesn't sell and if there isn't enough profit, Frida is gone. It's all about economics. Gucci is a brand and a company - they need profit to survive. Frida provides them with profit therefore she stays.

Erm... the last time I checked, Gucci was owned be the Gucci Group... not LVMH (I think there's 3 fashion house owned groups now, no? LVMH, Prada and Gucci Group.

I know some are owned by Procter & Gamble... more?

Bidwell said:
They should rename this the lion's den spot. There is a predominantly negative vibe here and is often unjust criticism.
Ms. Giannini is NOT Tom Ford but give the woman a chance. Rome wasn't built in one day and designers are often shuffled off before sales figures are adequately balanced.
Getting rid of her would be exactly like the Italian political scene: a short term solution but a lot of chaos.

Seriously! FRIDA IS NOT TOM FORD! Nor should she have to be. Tom Ford is dead, and Frida should scrape off every mark he left. There's something quite appealing about sloughing off the old and creating something entirely different. Destruction and change go hand-in-hand.

PS: I know Tom Ford's not really dead :rolleyes: :lol:

All I'm saying is that with Frida, Gucci has lost its luxury appeal in my eyes. I just don't see how what she's designing matches the pricing and label. Gucci was somewhat the epitome of Italian luxury and now it's not.

Salvatore said:
All I'm saying is that with Frida, Gucci has lost its luxury appeal in my eyes. I just don't see how what she's designing matches the pricing and label. Gucci was somewhat the epitome of Italian luxury and now it's not.

exactly. if i wanted clothes like the ones Frida showed in her collections, i could easily go and find them at topshop or zara, at cheaper prices and even better looking...

the world has to move forward so do we...how boring would it be that Frida would be doing the same as tom ford.

don't missunderstand me I love Tom Ford and he made gucci woman fantastic but his time on gucci has GONE
let's give Frida a chance each designer is different ..even gucci woman has to change

Yes this is not the best season from her but we got to give her a chance.

I love the shoes, the boots, the gloves and the watches

but this season doesn't compare to spring 07

Last edited by a moderator:
When Alessandra F. took over after Ford left, she tried to keep the image the same, and the collection seemed very "poser" like. With Frida, I'm glad to see her bring something else to the table.

Salvatore said:
Yep. Completely agree, Gucci has lost all brand cache that they used to have. Under Tom it just ooozed luxury without trying (save logo-mania accessories) but now it just looks like Benetton...

This collection is something I would expect JCrew to carry.

i'm not a big fan of her. I don't like it, i think some clothes look tacky and when put it together it doesn't feel right

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomnes
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->