Gucci S/S 08 Milan

she's taken unoriginality to a whole new level.. just look at those lanvin flower embellishments. I was gonna go with lanvin-esque but it's a direct copy. tsk

Last edited by a moderator:
Gucci used to be so glamorous. Every piece used to jump out at you. Now its just like flicking through a magazine.

the dropped crotch is quite interesting, really refreshing even. it makes the collection have a line that isnt sleazy and overfitted, despite it not being able to look good with a woman that have hips and thighs that are any bigger than a dior homme model.

not a fan of the large colourful prints against the monocromatic background, it makes the clothes seem as if they are swallowing the person.

i am also confused about the target audience as someone has said. it has definitely changed the target customer since tom ford/ raw sex appeal era (granted that was a few years ago now) that seems to be covered by versace and cavali.

im intruiged to see where this goes in future collections, as it seems to be settling into a new design conciousness.

Asia, India and the Middle East. These are the largest areas for luxury good growth . Brands like Louis Vuitton and Chanel carry lots of weight in Asia. The Gucci si aesthetic was only working with westerners.

That quote from Gia's post holds true. Why do you think there are so many asian themes lately? Fact is, these brands cater to their jet set, loyal clientel, but are always seeking out the nouveau riche. Whether that be asian markets, pop stars, athletes, or whatever. They're not marketing to the other 98% of the worlds population, where the closest you'll get to Gucci is fake sunglasses on Canal St, or maybe that one item you're saving up for.

I don't disagree with you. Just visit your local Vuitton shop and be amazed how the asians practically RIP the bags out of the SA's hands. But that doesn't mean that it should look like clothes more fitting to H&M and Monsoon. There's no 'filthy richness' to the look. Besides, nouveau riche tend to (generally) go for easily recognizable looks. What about the last few collections were recognizable and dead-on Gucci?

At least some of this season's Prada uglyness or Vuitton shapelessness is immediately recognizable. Gucci fails in that department (at least, IMO).

Tricotineacitat:
It's simply not correct to believe that the majority of luxury goods shoppers are in fact devoted fashion followers... most of them, WHATEVER their origin, are shopping for leather goods, accessories and maybe shoes... that's what the reality is like. I bet some of these people don't even know if it's indeed Marc Jacobs, Tom Ford or whoever else is designing for the houses they are buying their designer merchandise from... Then you may have a couple contemporary brands that people turn towards for maybe a pair of designer denim and the inevitable knits and jerseys... that's what the reality is like on the street, only very few of these big houses actually turn their profit with RTW... that's a given, and it's undeniable when you look into the figures that conglomerates like LVMH or Gucci group or any other big company is issueing.

AMEN. Buonanotte. ^_^

seems the david lynch ad that played before the show (and that is now up on the site) is more gucci than frida. that spark, that tension, that ability to use luxury to disquiet is what she needs to harness. 'mucho mistrust...'

seems the david lynch ad that played before the show (and that is now up on the site) is more gucci than frida. that spark, that tension, that ability to use luxury to disquiet is what she needs to harness. 'mucho mistrust...'

Catryn Horyn said the same the thing , the ad ,while reflected the spirit of gucci , (sexy dark glamour) , but that wasnt apparent on the runway after they showed the ad. I think versace has pretty much captured guccis old clientele who use to buy their RTW , in turn gucci has picked up on rich ditzoid 20 somethings who have no inkling ...sad but true. Its official to say esp after seeing that new tacky logo , Fords dark sexy smart girl is dead.

doesnt that dropped crotch reminds one of the jodphurs balenciaga did last season?
Frida simply tries to hard to please everyone it ended up a mess.
not that the clothes are not wearable, they certainly are than say Prada, but it has sadly lost its identity.
:rolleyes:

i made a song line going out to gucci, the disappointment.

*melody of amy winehouse rehab*

they try to make me wear some gucci
and i say NO, NO, NO

ahh thanks everyone for giving me karma.

i just had to sing it. it was so appropriate.:P

an interesting quote from cathy horyn...so true...

What irked most about the spring Gucci collection from Frida Giannini was not the relentless parade of broken-down Marimekko prints, or the ’50s jukebox skirts, or the finale schmaltz of “Strangers in the Night” pouring over dresses that could have begun life as an XL bed sheet. Rather, it was the lack of cultural awareness.

Other collections could get away with gleaning the top notes of a supermarket tabloid and spitting them back to us — Dsquared, for instance. Dsquared, the label of Dean and Dan Caten, is a knucklehead version of Dolce & Gabbana. But they’re O.K. with that; we’re O.K. with that.

But Gucci? Gucci has become such a monster business that you wonder if anyone asks, much less demands, that it show more curiosity, more surprise, more refinement in its runway collections than a Frankie and Johnny scenario. Ms. Giannini may not want to give Gucci a mean, sexy edge; that’s fine. But, apart from films and popular music, what does interest and inspire her as a designer? You can’t tell from her runway, and increasingly it’s making the view of the brand seem narrow and formulaic.

^ Yes, well said her.

I don't hate this collection, but whilst looking at it, the only thing that reminded me that this was Gucci, was the horsebit belts!

I will defend Tom to my death. People need to get off the whole "oversexed" kick. Sex was simply the context given to his clothes. Through styling and advertising, sex became the Gucci image. However, in a vacuum, stripped of the context of the Gucci lifestyle, his clothes were thoughtfully designed, detailed and flattering to no end. While Frida designs a simple dress and guzzies it up with prints or pretty color, or a wide belt, Tom created standalone dazzling garments. The detail on a Tom Ford for Gucci garment was incredible, not to mention authentically Tom Ford. He had a very signature look that he applied to tackle a number of different themes. He always worked in similiar color families, had very precise architectural ideas and a very glamorous, but dark feel of nostalgia. All of this defined his entire career.

ITA.

I miss Tom Ford and Phoebe Philo in equal measure and feel that there is an enduring vacuum where they once were.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at her resort collection for 2008 ,its the same exact sh*t! same 50s skirts , same bumble bee pallette and same fugly prints. Man even we TFS members can come up with a better collection than that. I was looking at the website and the collection which is now up , I LITERALLY GOT A TOOTHACHE looking at it , I KID YOU NOT! It pisses me off she has had so many chances and still not preforming , that too filling Tom Fords shoes. Im done with Frida . FIRE FRIDA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hire Prouenza Schouler !

i second that.

i think the company didnt get the balance between commercial appeal and individualism of the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomnes
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->