Gucci Mens F/W 08.09 Milan

Not the greatest menswear collection ever, but I like a lot of it and I could see myself wearing a majority of the collection.

i have seen a collection like this loads of times, but this is the only way to look IMO!!!

The styling and some pieces reminded me the Dior Homme 05 FALL, but looks delicate anyway.

Very dandy and flamboyant as Gucci's former collections, the style I used to like,but now, I just began to feel a bit boring on it.

^I agree. Just when I came to kind of accept the thought of Giannini doing Gucci menswear (okay, it has been a few seasons now, but still), she just goes and smashes it. The pants seem as if they can`t choose between being drop-crotch or not.

ROQUE OUT!!!

I will be dropping in for a visit this Fall.

i like it; thanks for the scans

For the record:
* Cavalli did not invent this look. It's very italian in essence and more than a few have been there.

* "Boys" generally can't afford these price points or would want these sorts of fabrics.

* Ford isn't coming back and the constant allusions are B O R I N G. If you realistically compare the merchandise, Ford never reached the level of detail that has evolved since his departure.

* Positioning the label to garner some of the former Dior homme customer is business acumen par excellence.

someone had to cover that dior homme spot, and i think gucci is definetly trying. some other labels have presented quite a hedi styling too (richmond)...
we'll have to wait to paris to see who else is in that direction... if there was just a couple more, do you guys think we could talk about hedi slimane as a trend/spot for fw08?

Bidwell I must disagree on two counts.

The first is that Ford never achieved this level of detail. Quite the opposite really. He pushed the Gucci workrooms harder than Giannini has un until this collection. His last few collections were incredibly intricate, finely detailed. Half the time you couldn't even tell what the detail was from a picture and could only see the intricacy up close.

And if you look all of her collections are styled to look very, very young, like 25 and under, even though that clearly isn't the target customer. But the cut of things, the styling, the sloppy look is all very youth oriented and not particularly mature.

* Ford isn't coming back and the constant allusions are B O R I N G. If you realistically compare the merchandise, Ford never reached the level of detail that has evolved since his departure.

I have never heard such an untrue statement! The craftmanship under Tom's reign had to be among some of the best craftmanship I've ever seen. Frida's details are more surface and excessive where as Tom put the detail into the actual garment. I'm not going to post anymore pictures to prove my point because it is useless as I do it every season.....but I so want to. Yes this collection is nice and I would wear some of it, but it is lightyears away from the work of Tom at Gucci. It lacks the refinement which I think is a mark of luxury.

And I agree with Spike about the look. Previously, Gucci had what appeared to be a target age of about 25 - 45, but now it is geared towards more around the 18 -25 range which I feel is more focused on trends, fast fashion, and personal style exploration versus the 25 - 45 wanting substantial luxurious and classical pieces without sacrificing style and little quirks that make it "fashionable".

I have HQs of this collection, if anyone would like to request any particular looks. :flower:

You know what...I'm going to play fair. I'm not just so about Tom Ford. Even John Ray and Alessandra Facchinetti's work for Gucci still had elements of luxury which is basically all I expected from Gucci. I'm not wanting sex orgies or crotches with shave-in G's. What Frida is giving I can find anywhere else.

To each his own. Ford's tailoring was oversized and rather plain in detail IMO. It's pointless to argue about which is best. Luckily you can buy Ford menswear should you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomnes
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->