Interview September 2017 : Kim Kardashian & North West by Steven Klein

^^^ If you’ve read his dairies then you would know for sure he would have love loved loved Kim as Jackie on the cover of his magazine.

Andy was always obsessed with the most popular girls-- whether they be royalty, celebrity or trashy, and needed to be around them for his own relevance and worth. HIs art/work/life was a template for SM and its obsession with celebritydom and popularity. Just his polaroids alone set the template for selfies and the need to record every pointless social moment. The age of disposable SM would have been heaven for Andy. And this cover really defines who he is and what the spirit of Interview is all about.

Best cover of the September season.

^^^ If you’ve read his dairies then you would know for sure he would have love loved loved Kim as Jackie on the cover of his magazine.

Andy was always obsessed with the most popular girls-- whether they be royalty, celebrity or trashy, and needed to be around them for his own relevance and worth. HIs art/work/life was a template for SM and its obsession with celebritydom and popularity. Just his polaroids alone set the template for selfies and the need to record every pointless social moment. The age of disposable SM would have been heaven for Andy. And this cover really defines who he is and what the spirit of Interview is all about.

Best cover of the September season.

He probably would have liked the Kardashians, but I don't want it to be true. I don't want Kim to be potrayed as Jackie O, either. But that's just my opinion.

^^^ Andy was desperately insecure and invented the (pop) culture vulture. HIs social arrested development seemed to marinate in that very high school clique-y/Mean Girls territory. For a pop culture/fashion publication, this shoot makes brilliant sense: Bringing in high fashion, politics, superstars, famewhores, high-end, trashy wannabes all together. And Kim’s all of the above. Talent has nothing to do with this.

Kim cosplaying Jackie is actually brilliant since it breaks and confronts all these silly social and preconceived cultural taboos. Since…. Jackie is idolized as an American Saint and style icon, but Kim can also be notoriously seen as such also, depending on who you ask. Both were/are more about presentation and the sheer force of self-preservation than they were/are anything of pure intellectual substance. And both are married to men that are as much adored as they are vilified. I think Kanye is a mastermind of a musician, but such an insufferable personality. JFK may be seen in that light also as a politician by many. It’s for that repository of references, I adore this cover and shoot. I’ve never watched a single episode of her show nor ever thought she was interesting, but she’s a gorgeous woman, and she works so effortlessly— even gracefully (and still tabloid-esque trashy), as the subject of a shoot when done right. She’s a much stronger model than any of her sisters have ever shown to be. And 30-40 years from now, this shoot will resonate much more potently as a sign of the time than anything her sisters have done.

Had Cindy Sherman shot this, people would believe this is art.

^^^ Andy was desperately insecure and invented the (pop) culture vulture. HIs social arrested development seemed to marinate in that very high school clique-y/Mean Girls territory. For a pop culture/fashion publication, this shoot makes brilliant sense: Bringing in high fashion, politics, superstars, famewhores, high-end, trashy wannabes all together. And Kim’s all of the above. Talent has nothing to do with this.

Kim cosplaying Jackie is actually brilliant since it breaks and confronts all these silly social and preconceived cultural taboos. Since…. Jackie is idolized as an American Saint and style icon, but Kim can also be notoriously seen as such also, depending on who you ask. Both were/are more about presentation and the sheer force of self-preservation than they were/are anything of pure intellectual substance. And both are married to men that are as much adored as they are vilified. I think Kanye is a mastermind of a musician, but such an insufferable personality. JFK may be seen in that light also as a politician by many. It’s for that repository of references, I adore this cover and shoot. I’ve never watched a single episode of her show nor ever thought she was interesting, but she’s a gorgeous woman, and she works so effortlessly— even gracefully (and still tabloid-esque trashy), as the subject of a shoot when done right. She’s a much stronger model than any of her sisters have ever shown to be. And 30-40 years from now, this shoot will resonate much more potently as a sign of the time than anything her sisters have done.

Had Cindy Sherman shot this, people would believe this is art.

I respect your opinion, but I still don't agree.

White Out
Photographer:
Willy Vanderperre
Stylist: Olivier Rizzo
Models: Julia Nobis, Kris Grikaite, Kiki Willems, Jonas Glöer & Daan Duez
Make-up: Aaron de Mey
Hair: Jimmy Paul

interviewmagazine.com

Does Karl Templer still work in that magazine?
Can anyone post Mikael Jansson edit?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so weird that September Issue and Karl didn't input anything. I believe he's super busy with other projects.

Does anyone honestly care about this magazine without Karl's input...?

It's clear that (just like Meisel), he's only interested in doing money jobs these days, look at his advertising clients...Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren (sometimes). I mean I guess you can't blame him given the state of fashion today but really, one contribution to the magazine that you are creative director of in the last six months?

I love Fabien, but it's not 1996 anymore. A just about OK edit from Ludivine Poiblanc in every issue is not enough. I don't see Brana Wolf, Tonne Goodman, Paul Cavaco in place of the CD's absence...

Willy needs to never work for this magazine again as well; he's like Demarchelier these days, him and Oli in every magazine doing the same old s*t.

Oh Gow, another depressing Willy Vanderperre edit! This time with an equally exasperating cast. Please keep them out of this magazine!!

This is the Remix
Photographer:
Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Elin Svahn
Models: Chu Wong, Hiandra Martinez, Kiki Willems, Ruth Bell, Lex Herl, Liz Ord, Binx Walton & Cara Taylor
Make-up: Francelle
Hair: Sandy Hullett

interviewmagazine.com

Review - 231 pages

Land of the Free (posted)

White Out (posted)

This is the Remix (posted)

Jason Wu
Photographed by Vincent van de Wijngaard
Styling Ludivine Poiblanc
Model Saskia de Brauw

Alaia
Photographed by Amit Israeli
Styled by Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele
Model Dilone

The Sound of Silence
Photographed by Gregory Harris
Styling Tony Irvine
Models Charlee Fraser, Julia Banas, Jennae Quisenberry

can't wait for Jenny andJulia story ! I enjoy Patrick Demarchelier editorial, great cast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->