Libertine for Target

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
from wwd:

Those who are still clamoring for Proenza Schouler pieces for Target's Go International initiative, or waiting for Patrick Robinson's guest gig to launch this summer, can put another hot label on its Target wish list. Word is the mass retailer has signed on Libertine for its next Go line this fall. The bicoastal label was started by Cindy Greene and Johnson Hartig in 2001. The duo made a name for themselves with signature silk-screened women's and men's wear and their designs have since been spotted on the likes of Giambattista Valli, Brad Pitt and Mick Jagger. Hartig, sitting in the front row at Michon Schur on Wednesday, declined comment.

that's the facts jack...

i was beginning to think they had closed their doors due to an absence on the fashion calendar for a couple of seasons now...

but this seems like an ok pairing..
i expect the stuff will look very 'urban outfitters'...
maybe they should have paired with them???...:lol:

:innocent:

now,hey...i might do that...alot of their silk-screened work. and it won't cost thousands of dollars... :innocent:

I agree with soft, if they collaborated everrything would look like urban outfitters clothing... I don't know if I can see this as successful

will that be all I wonder though? perhaps vintage-reworked-inspired....i dunno :lol:

Nymag said they were considering a secondary line anyway that wouldnt be so vintage focused...

i hope there are military and victorian details...and leather pants.

im not sure how they are going to expand to a 50+ piece collection though especially if target asks them to make a lot of basics...

me neither....

i do hope,if confirmed,they include some men's stuff though because so far the guys have been left out of all these endeavours and Libertine makes covetable pieces for men. obviously,seeing as those listed,are men.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this item this morning and I have to say that i'm not into this collaboration. Can Libertine do what they do in mass and scaled down costs and still be seen as special? I don't know the price points for the Target collabos but I agree that it would likely be very Urban Outfitters.

For me, the whole appeal of Libertine was the screening on the vintage pieces and the fact that each pieces was one of a kind. But then again, they don't do that for their business anymore anyway.

I am super excited about this... I might as well move into Target.

Puke me out the window.

God, I hate Libertine. My friend has a Libertine jacket that reads Our Man Keats on the back, it cost a fortune...Why? He also has this amazing shredded white button down that Ive offered to buy everytime he wears it, the cut is like heaven and the shredding is flawless (so to speak)...Everything else is ugh. Overpriced.

We'll see what comes of this, but won't the ladies from Long Island be alienated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I love them, but I think what sets them apart from so many other designers is their detail. But may be it will have some nice prints at least, and hopefully men's wear

Hopefully this will be the collaboration I've been waiting for; I like Libertine too well, with their Victorian provocateur vibe, but I know I run the risk of foolish optimism by expecting too much from this collection. The whole aesthetic could transfer badly (no pun intended, in reference to their signature silkscreening) at a lower price point, and indeed look too Urban Outfitters. (Silkscreening on a vintage lace skirt is one thing; it's another on a vintage-wash crewneck.)

And about the vintage issue, I didn't know Libertine stopped making only one-offs, or how long that's been going on, but at least a higher price point offers something closer to the look and feel of vintage clothes (which, among the 'no-name' stuff, are almost always better quality than anything comparable nowadays). I am a little scared as to what they will produce for Target.

But I'm still hoping for something special, as I've mostly been disappointed with the Go! collections. Luella was cute (probably one of the better ones), but Paul & Joe and Tara Jarmon were kind of bland, and nearly indistinguishable from one another. And while I went for all the silk and lace of Behnaz, the Proenza collection was worthwhile only for the bustier items, which I still haven't managed to literally grasp. (I refuse to pay 2-3 times the retail price on eBay, when the basic point of the collaborations was to offer cheap clothes...)

Also, I don't like a single thing from the upcoming Patrick Robinson line, judging from the pressroom pictures.

:ninja:

finally!

wow, i like the embroidered items, the horse polo, the script shirt and the cornucopia print. and check out look 22! there's a man! items for guys!

im pleased so far with what i see.

hmmn, no silk items so far...

There is some silk actually...

The lace bolero, sign me up. I can wear it to work! Ditto on the button-down shirts, I love the green especially. I love the trench as well, I've been looking for a cropped trench for awhile and at $40, this one is cute. The black crepe dress, I hope it's of good quality because it looks good.

I think this might be my favourite collection. I really like this piece, which reminds me of a United Bamboo dress...

Libertine_04-prv.jpg

from target.pressroom

I'm with Scott. I'd love to see some mens pieces...

I'd love an Oxford shirt with one of their screens on it.

i wasn't sure what to expect from this...
it's tough to really decide what i think when the pics are sooooo small but I think i saw a few pieces that piqued my interest

^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->