Oscars 2010

Loveeeed win best movie The Hurt Lockerd and not Avatar
and best director Katherine yesssssssss
but very disappointed with the oscar of Sandra Bulock

i was totally wrong, no surprises what so ever. kinda too predictable.. :(
YAY for Christoph and Hurt Locker. :heart:

I just realized I put my rant in the outfit-thread. Outfits were great...

But was anyone else super-bored by this show? After last year's very nice one I thought they would step up their game, but you could see Alec's and Steve's jokes coming from like a mile away and there was literally no show in that show, not counting the super-silly dance performance.

No surprising wins either, a nice Oscar surprise can always make up for a lackluster show, but it was just all as expected. I didn't like that Inglorious Basterds and Up In The Air were snubbed and frankly I think The Hurt Locker is one of the most forgettable best picture winners in recent history. The whole situation reminded me of when Crash won back in the day. It's only a few years later and Brokeback Mountain has turned out to be the more memorable film.
I'm not saying it was bad, though.

I was disappointed by almost all the wins after I went through very thorough preparations and had seen almost every single one of the grand movies nominated.

The Academy is always way too enchanted with Cinderella/Underdog stories and the great American Dream Come True concept, I wish they would get their heads together and award solid, classic craftsmanship more than Romantic Fantasies.

That doesn't apply to His Dudeness, naturally.

Last edited by a moderator:
No surprises here, right? I did want Quentin to take one Original Screenplay though.

But I'm a bit dumbfounded. There were 2 Ryan Binghams, both nominated except one is not a real-life person but a character. : D

Yes, but I don't think there were really any dramatic standout performances by a leading actress this year... so...

have you seen 'The Last Station'?
I think Hellen Mirren should have won instead of Sandra, her performance was outstanding! :heart:

Where did this movie called "The Hurtlocker" come from? I've never seen any commercials, previews, or showings at any of the theaters near me.

What happened was in 2008 The Hurt Locker went and did the rounds at a all the international festivals and then got limited release in June 2009 in America. Critics loved it and couldn't understand why it wasn't playing everywhere so it didn't do well at the box office. You can blame Summit Entertainment for that. They brought it and then pretty much didn't give a f*ck about it in the end and did no promo.

Then in August to October it was distributed international and got a lot of buzz by more critics and of course blogs on the internet. By the end of the year it was release on DVD and people were now watching it.

It's kind of like what happened to Little Miss Sunshine but with this one there is a longer story.

the hurt locker best movie and director ? :lol:

Oscars = politics :sick:

Well overall it as a boring show. Half way through I split my computer screen and started loading and posting all the HQ red carpet pics into celebs own threads cause it was dragging epecially during that dance performance.

I liked that Neil Patrick Harris opened but I'm sure a lot of people didn't really understand why he was there but it was good for what it was. I prefer old school Billy Crystal doing his numbers. I love both Steve and Alec as actors but as hosts they sucked. The few montages they did were amusing but I'd rather have Billy or Whoopi back or even Ellen. I loved the John Hughes tribute as well. I kind of missed the songs.

Best Picture - Yes I'm so fricken glad Avatar didn't win. I haven't seen THL and I'm probably not going to cause I'm not a fan of war films but I'm fine with the win. If it was my choice though Inglorious Basterds would have got it. Yeah it's war but it's a QT flick so it's not going to be typical.
Best Director - This is a very exciting moment. First women in film history to win. Even if you don't like THL she has made other great films and deserves this.
Best Actor - Jeff Bridges is a top class actor. I haven't seen the movie but you know it was deserved win plus the dude was in Iron Man so that mean automatic awesome.
Best Actress - I love Sandra so I'm not hacked off she won but we all know this was a "body of work" win. She one of my favs and her speech was awesome. Sincere, comedic and just lovely.
Best Support Actor - Go Christoph. Top class speech.
Best Support Actress - Mo'Nique as going to get it so I'm happy for her. I thought she looked beautiful.
Best Orginal Screenplay - I'm so gutted this didn't go to QT.
Best Costumes - Sandy Powel is the best but I couldn't help but be a bit uncomfortable with her speech. I mean yeah you already have two so don't rub it in the other noms faces. Loved her hat thing.
Best Animated - So happy UP won. It is the best animated I've seen film since Nemo. It makes you happy when you watch it and I like how the old man looks like my grandpa.

Worst parts were the fact that all Lauren Bacall got was a standing ovation was such a slap in the face. She and Roger Corman (legendary producer sitting next to her) should have had their time to go up on stage and to say thanks. How rude.

Biggest wank of the night was the actors coming out before Best Actor and Actress to praise the nominees. While I was happy to see Michelle Pfieffer cause we hardly do, it was such a horrible message that it's ok to bang on aobut these actors yet all the winners for the tech awards etc were getting cut off by the music to "save time". It was so disrespectful.

Oh and Clooney needs to take a holiday. He was acting like such a douche. I thought he was putting it on at first but the more the night went on you could tell he didn't want to be there. Other sites are commenting the same.

And of course this gif is so gonna be used a lot over the coming years

m8p4sw.jpg

ONTD

i watched only the half of it (time difference was just too much), and i noticed George's weirdness, so he was like that throughout the show? WTF?
when Alec and Steve "made" fun of him he was all too serious and i really thought it he was "playing" along..

my only regret is Reitman not winning the Best Screenplay, i really liked the idea of it. :(
Fist pump for Bigelow winning it in the eve of Woman's day :heart:

I can't believe Sandra won over Carey. That girl deserved that award like nobody else did in that category. The fact that Sandra is a lovely woman with a great personality. All in all a breath of fresh air in the industry, makes me mind not so much. But it really makes me doubt the credibility of the Academy.

^honestly,they weren't as great as hosts because they weren't given as much screen time as past hosts. i mean steve martin has hosted the oscars before and he was great..i just think if they had the both of them out more it probably would have left a more lasting impression.

overall,i agree it was terribly tedious and lacking. and perhaps it was due to the body of films that were released last year compared with the more recent years past. i mean,08 and 09 were splendid seasons for films,imo. i didn't like though they kept saying this year was so unpredictable....really? i think everybody pretty much expected what happened except maybe director and film of the year. but nowhere near as unpredictable as it was in 2008 when marion cotillard and tilda swinton took home the prizes in their categories.

I just watched some of the acceptance speeches online.
My favorite was what Jeff Bridges said about his wife -- that she held his kite string, and he counted on her for that.

source | reuters.com

:heart:

I am utterly revolted they did not include Farrah Fawcett in the tribute.

^yeah i was wondering about that myself. neither farrah nor bea arthur. both of whom were hollywood acting professionals,mind you....and i've heard the excuse that it may have been because they were more known as TV actors....yet they somehow found it worthy to include MJ who only did one film. very insulting.

They didn't even put the profession below Michael's name. :rolleyes:

Welll so Sandy won...either her job was really well done or they felt pity on her for being overwrought and hysterical in every single role so far.She looked beautiful though,tribute to Rachel Weisz.

i just wish people would cut her some slack though. i mean i have never heard so much outcry as i have this year. even when overrated julia roberts won for erin brokovich and halle berry won over sissy spacek in in the bedroom no one really batted an eyelash. jennifer hudson also comes to mind...over cate blanchett in notes on a scandal?? or gwynnie 'try hard' paltrow again over cate blanchett in elizabeth....i thought that was a terrible choice there as well.

yes, Shakespeare in Love is one of the best examples of Oscar recklessness

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->