Not open for further replies.
Fendi PF 13; Versace PF 15; Stella McCartney FW 12

KE0a6lx.jpg
htKrp6x.jpg
q0BUKZF.jpg

Style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
^Well, you can't plagiarize yourself...

Of course you can, its called self-plagerism and it is a huge problem in academics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism#Self-plagiarism

Also, since designing for a fashion label is considered work for hire, it would be a legal issue if fashion was copyrighted in the same way as other creative works since the copyright holder would be the parent company and not the designer (therefore MMM is copying Dior, not Galliano copying himself). But fashion is copyrighted like other creative works, so there will probably never be a problem. Does not make it any less of an ethical or plagiarism issue though.

I think self-plagiarizm in fashion and in academics are two very different things... A criteria for self-plagiarizm is not just that you recycle your own material, but also that you do not explicitly say so, and somehow try to get twice the credit in one way or another. There is a tradition for citing your sources in academia, but there is no such tradition for designers. They are not required to explain or defend their work for it to be accepted.

I think this is an area where etics and the law do not go hand in hand. Copywright laws are effective, but it is pushing it to call it unethical to be true to your own creative instinct, even if someone else has a right to your previous creations...

Some ideas/creations should be recycled. If an idea was good before, it could be just as good or even better in todays society.

Regarding the copywright issue - Do any one know who owned John Galliano (the brand...) in ealy 1995 when the white dress was made? I am just curious, and I Google isn't helping me:(

I agree with you eizhowa. You can't bring the rules of academia into fashion - for one thing, everyone would be "caught" cheating. So I don't think self plagiarism applies to fashion. However, that doesn't give designers or houses a free pass from this thread.

Probably just because of the print

Balenciaga Spring 2011/ Hugo Boss Pre - Fall 2015

00070fullscreen.jpg

hugo-boss01.jpg

style

Granny Takes a Trip 1969/Saint Laurent-BABIES 70 Lace-Up Stars BOOT
yfO1B8u1.jpg

Photograph courtesy Museum of Fine Arts, Boston/ysl

1968/Louis Vuitton Resort 2015
i4pO4q5q.jpg

vogue/style

Alexander McQueen Spring 2011 RTW
00210fullscreen.jpg

Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2006 RTW
00010m.jpg

Credits: Style.com

Last one I promise:
Rosa Clara Bridal 2014
RosaClara_162-682x1024.jpg

Giambattista Valli Spring 2013 couture
_ARC1493.1366x2048.JPG

and, Rosa Clara Bridal
RosaClara_171-682x1024.jpg

Dior Pre-Fall 2013
CDIOR_022_1366.1366x2048.JPG

Credits: Style.com and thewonderfulweddingbox.com

Last one I promise:
Rosa Clara Bridal 2014
Giambattista Valli Spring 2013 couture

and, Rosa Clara Bridal
Dior Pre-Fall 2013
Credits: Style.com and thewonderfulweddingbox.com
all these reminded me of this
a_4-16-5x.jpg

Lutz Huelle SS13, from lutzarchiveswordpress

Last edited by a moderator:
Givenchy 1971/Givenchy Spring 2015 Menswear
9Hv9XQPr.jpg
Yg9b9yAr.jpg

patrimoine.editionsjalou/style

LOL Marchesa. There were a couple of very D&G looking pieces in that collection too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyczh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->