Paper Trend S/S 07

wasn't there an editorial on vogue that featured paper clothing? I'll try to find it

love paper imitating fabrics or synthetics, they have this crisp feeling and they seem weightless

i guess the whole paper influnce revival in fashion and decoration is linked with the exploding eco/consious consumption movement

:o Oh, so you mean it's pro-environment?
The way the trend is usually described in the 1960s, it sounds more like waste--being able to throw things away and get another one easily and quickly
But I guess when it is paper, it is bio-degradable and recyclable

^ totally.., it's very bio-eco centered, since paper is an already recycled material, its very enviroment friendly and easily disposable

alternative paper couch and 'chairs' where poping up everywhere at Milano's trendsetting furniture fair last month and those paper feel new tech polyester mixes (see Sander) seem to me as the epitome of modernism.

also, beware
some of the new tech paper feeling wovens (fabrics), get their dry and stiff feel by use of micro metal fibres

those have been around for almost a decade now but they just started 'improving' and now get almost popular since they can get produced at semi-reasonable prices

Oh, I didn't make it, WhiteLinen! But I believe it is the paper flower technique. I'll see if I can find instructions online...

Oh no, I didn't mean that you made it (although I am sure you could've) but I thought you mentioned something about learning to make paper yourself etc.

Thank you for your many contributions. You are a true gem to this forum.

thank you for sharing all the pics and info! it's such an interesting thread!

^^ :blush: Thanks, WhiteLinen. :heart:

I just found an interesting designer from Mildred Avendano in Canada who makes paper/cloth clothing at http://www.milaven.com. She hand sews organic pieces from pineapple fabric and paper cloth made using traditional Japanese weaving and starching techniques.

milaven.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh I was just looking at that, SomethingElse :blush: right after your post on Avendano! I'm so glad she is Canadian. I love her work..It's very light and delicate. The paper doesn't even look like paper.. just like fabric!
Thanks for all the info--I don't know how you find these Canadian ones..(I found a few of your posts on the indie designers thread). I have trouble finding ones I like that are from here, but Avendano, she's wonderful! :P

I realise I've tried paper yarn already myself... except it was a very stiff and thick kind. It was very hard. We used it as base structure in making baskets... I hope to find some of the thinner stuff

Interesting thread.

Definitely not practically, but beautiful to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pradabananas
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->