Prada F/W 10.11 by Steven Meisel

I'm finding this ad really offensive having the black model in the background like that, with no male counterpart as well. If you're not going to showcase black beauty rightfully in the forefront along side the others then don't use black models at all. This is not a step forward for black models as some make it seem but more so two steps back. Yes it's only fashion but the message its portraying is not pleasing.

You should probably give it some time, after all it is only the first image from the campaign. But for now I admit that it's a pretty offensive thing to have her being shown like that, however to me I think the black female model is the entire highlight of this campaign, she is so mysterious and beautiful!

You should probably give it some time, after all it is only the first image from the campaign. But for now I admit that it's a pretty offensive thing to have her being shown like that, however to me I think the black female model is the entire highlight of this campaign, she is so mysterious and beautiful!

i agree!!! my eyes keep drifting and focusing on her (who ever she is!!!)
hopefully she will be more in focus in the rest of the shots. she is definately the most striking out of all the girls!

La Notte ? Again ?
Well ... Ok it's only the 2nd time (from what I know of Meisel) that the Master uses it ...
But still ..... That must be his favorite movie of Antonioni ...

And since Meisel is very litteral with his references, for yr information the black woman in the film is a dancer ... and she wears nothing but a white bikini, from what I remember ...

So far I like this campaign. My only criticism is some of the male models lack some chemistry with the person right next to them. Also I didn't see the black model in the background until I read about this mystery person.

I don't like the hair. I usually like when they keep the styling from the show, but this time the oversized hair cocoon bothers me a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
:woot: Sigrid!!!!!! What a nice surprise! She suits Prada like no one else. It's a sexy campaign for sure. I think they've done well by making the lighting dim. But it would have been better if they shot it with very very little colour, just not black n white.

It looks ugly so far! It lacks soul, the “black and white” is not the right one, the lighting is bad, I don’t like the set, that girl on the background is unnecessary and distracting, the composition is awful and it looks kind of dated (I wouldn’t have expected this for 2010).

Waaaaiiiit a second! Why did we hear reports about the casting people wanting models who could sing? What was that about? Was it a crappy rumour?

Waaaaiiiit a second! Why did we hear reports about the casting people wanting models who could sing? What was that about? Was it a crappy rumour?

sounds like we'll get a short film, with models trying to 'act'

:sick:

^ lol. It'll be something like this, just with the models actually singing. It should be interesting. :lol:

Seriously...the 60ies feel was so predictable.
Very predictable. When I first saw the collection, I half imagined the campaign. Overall, I like the concept. But, I dunno... I'll wait for the whole campaign to make a full judgment.

This photo is fine (not mind blowing) if the focal point is the male model and his coat. Angela looks lovely, but there is something off about the bag and dress combo.

I like the mood of this picture, my attention is drawn mostly to the two guys in the forefront and the mystery woman in the back, perhaps this is intentional. I think the hair is a tad too artistic (borderline conehead) and I know that matching hair is a Prada thing, but if this collection is about women and their individuality (didn't Miuccia say this or am I confusing her with someone else?), then matchy-matchy hair is out.

My conclusion is that these particular ads are more about the menswear. Hopefully subsequent ads will be better showcases for the women's collection.

I believe that Prada and Meisel are deliberately being provocative with the black model. While she is alone and in the background, she is dead center in the fold out picture and her different styling arguably makes her the most prominent female in the photo.

This is so beautiful! Wonderfully done! You can just feel the romantic emotion of the ad campaign! And it is so dramatic!

One of Prada's best so far!

NY Models blog says it's menswear campaign..is it possible?

i'm pretty sure this is the 'mens' campaign, for what its worth. it's mixed anyway

It looks like Prada may be doing one of two things with this ad, specifically with the black model in the back.

1. Just flat-out racism. (Yes, we use models of color, you just have to look closely in the fold of the magazine.)

Or more likely, 2. The black model will one of the main models for the rest of the campaign, showing Prada is inclusive, etc etc.

Either way, Meisel's getting the attention he probably aimed for with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->