Prada S/S 05 Milan

i don't like the collection at all, would say i'm rather disappointed.
and had anyone seen the shoes? hope that's not all they have in stores next season!

Cathy says in NYT

Miuccia Prada, largely responsible for putting women in dirndl skirts and fur-collared coats vaguely murmuring of 1950's housewives on Valium, has given the old bats the shove. Enjoy your crusty tweeds and jolly pocketbooks now, for the Miuccia broom is about to sweep them away. She changed the proportions, which, in fashion, qualifies as one of the bigger "duhs." Oh, yeah, proportion, that thing designers are supposed to change ever so often.

Ms. Prada trimmed her silhouette. She raised hemlines. And she put her models, with their Ali MacGraw hair, in flat shoes, including penny loafers. "I like narrow, flat and high, like a steeple," Ms. Prada said after her smart show on Wednesday, its avian theme of feathers aloft in domed hats, feathers on the front of a plissé organza skirt and computer-generated feathers on faille skirts causing editors backstage to titter about the meaning of birds.

But it was all about bringing fashion back down to earth. Ms. Prada may be the least spontaneous designer in fashion. Whereas Karl Lagerfeld can sketch almost as fast as he talks, and can transfer that speed and lightness to clothes, Ms. Prada is a constructivist, a collage-builder, mixing the new and the arcane, sometimes to a studied degree. But her instincts are immaculate.

Birds: how sly of her to evoke, with her superslim shorts, Kelly green polo knits and collegiate flats, the older, politically incorrect term for young women, and just as the remake of that ultimate bird flick, "Alfie," is about to come out. The straight Ali hair, the boxy Villager-era proportions may also recall for some Americans the late and lamented Mademoiselle college issue. But Ms. Prada is more far-sighted than that.

Against the rough concrete of her show space and the dirty thump of 70's reggae, she introduced the raw vitality of the streets (over-dyed linen dresses with insets of crochet and rib knitting in Rasta colors). And then, because life is filled with contradictions, she added a subtle touch of couture. In haute couture, a hot iron can achieve anything. Ms. Prada pressed her faille shirts and A-line skirts until they were as stiff as Mr. Lagerfeld's collars. And almost by accident, she discovered that when a skirt was pressed like a man's handkerchief, folded in thirds and reopened, you get these lovely papery creases.

Originally posted by clay@Oct 1 2004, 01:49 AM
Yeah iread the WWD art today. They loved the collection. So New York may be on board with this one. I do not know how I feel about it yet.
[snapback]381794[/snapback]​

It's WWD's JOB to like the collections :rolleyes:

all this talk about being daring and conceptual and intellectual, etc.. etc... there is nothing daring, conceptual and intellectual at all about her clothes. SHe is simply a designer pleasing her own ego. Prada is being heralded as the second coming if you get through the neasuous *** kissing that some of these critics have to say about this collection or her past collections. Repulsive! they need to get their heads out of their ***es and understanding that this are just clothes. plain and simple. she is here to move merchandise and sell, sell, sell!!! don't confuse the public with this intellectual, daring bullsh!t.

Influences: Miuccia seems that has left behind the ladylike image she dicated to the fashion world and which's now taking everyone by storm .. I take that for granted .. the thing's the switch from the lady era to the independent/carefree woman era was not done abruptly .. you can see it in one of the major trends on this collection ..the feathers ...
Now .. she diverted bit towards menswear with those shirts who look like military jackets .. and the paletter obviously hints a more grounded image ...
On the collection ... yes, there are nice things .... yes, there's not anything particularly with the WOW! Factor, but Miuccia said it well: "This is everyday clothing" -or something along that line-. So it is everyday clothing!!!!
Now ... I've always been in love how she accesorizes and revives jurassic traditions such as wearing a hat and gloves which I :heart: :heart: :heart:
And in that way she imprints her -Prada- img and makes it unmistakable ..why? because as twas said .. this are clothes for the lazy shopper! We know more than anyone than raiding some retirement home's will makes us strike gold !!!!! And look as fabulous as we've never looked ... and that's what Miuccia delivered thia and past seasons: the look!
Ok ... so being a bit more detailed we see the growing trend of women borrowing from her guys closet ... the bird thingie (which McQueen, Elbaz, Kimora, :sick: and Miuccia have done) Oh! and am I the only one who thinks that assymetry was quite an issue in this collection???

PS I loved loved the turquoise dress od this collection .. and the peacock skirt is an item to remember (How did they do the top with the tiny lil feathers?)

Originally posted by Spike413@Sep 29 2004, 10:26 PM
Not crazy about it.....I got sick of the ladylike thing, but this isn't working for me. I wish she's go back to her late nineties mood of semi-modernist, slightly quirky stuff, those mirrored skirts and lipstick prints.......I miss those days.
[snapback]380182[/snapback]​

I was thinking about that and wondering where that side of her went. I totally hate this. It's so ugly :angry: . I am with you Spike. I miss the other stuff (especially that gorgeous lipstick print)! :wub:

How did they do the top with the tiny lil feathers?
I wondered that too! I'm not sure about this collection now, but I think by spring I'll like it. Its refreshing after the whole ladylike thing which is beginning to annoy me already, not the actual clothes, more the newspaper and magazine articles and high street versions. I like the birds and feathers but was a little shocked by the hair and make up. Daria looked scary.

It is so ugly and the colors are so "cheap" it's hard to look close at details at vogue.co.uk. But this is meant to be ugly, am I right:-)?

I think it's a brave move from Prada. Goodbye the pretiness, but what to welcome? I like the white "vintage" dress:-), the shorts, and the colorful dresses at the end of the show. But I still don't know what to think about that collection:-)

I am not a big fan of Prada but I must admit its influence on the world of fashion today. I am more of the "flashy" type even though Mrs. Prada always shows an uncanny and immense intellectual ability when designing clothes, and that sets her apart from all other designers (John Galliano included).

from the NYT article

This season, with the shows of the collections for spring 2005 concluding on Oct. 3, one would be hard-pressed to find another Italian designer who comes close to having the creative influence and cultural impact that Ms. Prada exerts.

A mercurial, contradictory and shrewd woman in her early 50's, an informed art patron, a doting mother, a tempestuous employer, she is also a typical baby boomer whose early training as a political scientist may, as it turns out, be the most revealing element of her design résumé.

"At the moment Prada is totally monumental," Kal Ruttenstein, the fashion director of Bloomingdale's, said after Prada's show on Sept. 29. "She leads everyone."
Mr. Ruttenstein's is anything but a minority view. "Everyone else is doing Prada and everything else looks old next to her," said Elizabeth Saltzman, the fashion director of Vanity Fair. And as early as the New York shows for spring, which ended two weeks ago, it was clear that designers would have to work hard to keep Ms. Prada's kooky but persuasive design sense from getting inside their heads.

"New York belonged to Prada," said Robert Burke, the fashion director of Bergdorf Goodman, referring to a season in which the runway shows of one designer after another paid Ms. Prada what could politely be termed homage.

Well before Ms. Prada showed her own new ideas for spring, other designers were making reference, conscious or otherwise, to her catalog. One could detect Prada in Behnaz Sarafpour's shibori print dresses in New York; in the stylized huaraches Tomas Maier showed for Bottega Veneta in Milan; in Consuelo Castiglioni's use of feathers, beads and full skirts here at Marni; and in the overall Old Maid eccentricity of styling that drifted through collections as disparate as those of Tommy Hilfiger, Blumarine and Derek Lam.

"I told Miuccia today, `You're the only reason we all come to Milan,' " Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue, said on Sept. 30 from her front-row perch at the Gucci show, where the future of one luxury goods house was being staked on the abilities of a former Tom Ford assistant to hold onto a particular sexed-up and indolent consumer, who gives the appearance of rarely having to pay for her own clothes.

"She has become the lifeblood of the city," Ms. Wintour added, referring to Ms. Prada. The opinion carries extra weight when one considers that the frenzied cycle of Milan Fashion Week encompasses no fewer than 219 collections presented over nine days.

It may not even be an exaggeration to suggest that Ms. Prada has become one of Italy's major cultural exports.

With the possible exception of the culinary Slow Food movement and the works of the excoriating, ubiquitous social commentator and novelist Aldo Busi, not much coming out of Italy these days is a fraction as entertaining, worldly or socially adroit as Ms. Prada's work.

The reasons, while hardly mysterious, are simple to synopsize. Unlike all but a handful of those consecrated to the pincushion religion, Miuccia Prada is an intellectual.

Since when does wattage have anything to do with dressmaking, one might ask? Well, it doesn't really. But only those who have experienced the fathomless hell of the crackbrained stories most designers come up with to account for inspiration ("I was thinking Heidi meets Charlotte Rampling in `The Damned' and then all of them go on vacation with Shrek") can fully appreciate Ms. Prada's brand of hard-headed consciousness

"Nostalgia is a very complicated subject for me," Ms. Prada said in an interview. "I'm attracted by nostalgia but I refuse it intellectually," she explained. "It interests me to be modern, and so I refuse nostalgia, but still I have it. So you see contradictions and oppositions are maybe what makes the work contemporary, because nowadays we are all composed of opposites."
It is exactly her comfort with opposition that makes Ms. Prada an engaging designer, her knack for combining elements high and low, for pairing unlikely fabrics, for pushing the boundaries of textile technology both to extend the parameters of design and to ape the effects of centuries-old handicrafts on a mass-produced scale.

Presented by anyone less assured, the paste brooches and feather hats and other anachronisms Ms. Prada has put back into currency would look like a joke.

"Miuccia listens, she receives information, she doesn't isolate herself in a palazzo like so many Milanese designers with their bodyguards," said Ms. Wintour.

In her show on Sept. 29, which drew a mixed response among some retailers and was almost universally popular with members of the press, she amalgamated influences as liberally and with as much loopy brio as the musicians from the great new New York band TV on the Radio.

She drew from nature (feather prints), from the New York School poets (patent leather Frank O'Hara loafers), from UPS carriers (sexy knee-length shorts) and from Rastafarianism (domed caps that simultaneously evoked the followers of Haile Selassie and the large brained aliens from "The Twilight Zone.") She drew on a palette that it would be courteous to call odd. And yet, even in her color sense, Ms. Prada flouts stale ideas about propriety and taste. "At this point, she probably owns brown and blue," Mr. Burke of Bergdorf's said

In less confident hands the whole conceit of Ms. Prada's recent presentations might easily collapse in on themselves. Yet for this viewer at least, a Prada show remains all the justification necessary to persist in believing that fashion is still made in Milan.

"Maybe in the past couple years fashion has become separate from reality," Ms. Prada said. "Now, I'm not saying I'm fashionable, but there are sociological interests that matter to me, things that are theoretical, political, intellectual and also concerned with vanity and beauty that we all think about but that I try to mix up and translate into fashion."

She called to add a coda by phone. "I want to make clothes that are beautiful of course," she said, "but also clothes that are interesting and considered and intelligent and not out of place."

How would the women of the panel feel in these clothes? Has anyone really worn Prada? I don't really know what sets it apart or what initally attracts women to the brand to begin with; do you really feel like an eccentric intellectual or do you just treat it as sportswear and blend it in with the rest of your wardrobe? Is it all about the cut and the fabrics or...really just about having a piece that, even without a logo, looks totally Prada?

Love that peacock skirt and a few of the details but why do people insist on making models look plain ugly in order to make a statement. :wacko:

I love the feathers. The clothes are wonderful, but hard to enjoy due to the plain, scary models. Were they on a budget, or haven't they heard of makeup? I really think the models were a detriment to the show. :neutral:

what attracts me to prada...

i'm not exactly sure what attracts me to prada...i basically fell in love with her fall collection in 2002 with the pointy heels and the see through raincoats. that was after the whole uma thurman wearing the lavender gown 10 years ago! maybe it harkens to my inner intellectual, or maybe i just like different clothes.

i'm basically a jcrew banana republic kinda girl with nicer accessories. i have prada shoes that i've gotten from the outlets that i love because they're different and comfortable. i majorly swooned over the first coat from fw 03 that elise wore and managed to grab it for a good price at the outlet.

so i guess i like prada mainly because her stuff is different, functional, and i got it at a great price (which i think is the best part) so i don't necessarily buy "at season" but i try to get things that will endure :smile:

datura001 said:
How would the women of the panel feel in these clothes? Has anyone really worn Prada? I don't really know what sets it apart or what initally attracts women to the brand to begin with; do you really feel like an eccentric intellectual or do you just treat it as sportswear and blend it in with the rest of your wardrobe? Is it all about the cut and the fabrics or...really just about having a piece that, even without a logo, looks totally Prada?

you have to seperate the prada "look" from the prada "piece" bc the average prada piece is pretty easy to incorporate into any rich woman's wardrobe. wearing a complete prada look (or any designer look for that matter) tends to be reserved only for people who have really strong senses of style...i think of milla jovovich as being a girl who can pull off prada head to toe. the average person, would wear a prada top or a prada jacket with rick owens, gucci, notify, etc.

Miuccia Prada between the 100 most influential characters of the world according to the Time. In the listing of the magazine the designer is the only Italian and the only representative of the world fashion...
..money talks and :meow: walks

Last edited by a moderator:
prada is one fashion house i was never impressed by this collection again prooves my point that minucci prada needs sum different inspiration. maybe tone down those horrendous colours she is working with and those models EEKK! i thought fashion was supposed to be something u want to look at not turn ur head from it!!

I believe that its the same for every brand/collection which is the either you love it or hate it thing.

I personally love prada for its simplicity and sleekness. Practicality is also a part of prada design and prada uses alot of black and black never goes out of fashion and is always easy to match. Part of my collection is my prada nylon bag which i use everyday w/o taking care of and i have to say that its really durable.

in search of a Prada dress

:lol: cute Prada dress! ANy others? There is one from the same collection worn by Jennifer Aniston in magazines everywhere. I am searching for this dress!! HELP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turnipcookie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->