Prince William and Kate Middleton split?

Rosie

Reaction score
By DUNCAN LARCOMBE
Royal Correspondent
APRIL 14, 2007

PRINCE William’s romance with Kate Middleton was doomed when he decided to put Army life first, pals claimed last night.
Last month the pair seemed happier than ever as they skied down a Swiss mountain together, stopping only to kiss and hold each other close.

From the outside all the signs seemed to suggest the young lovers were just weeks away from announcing their intention to wed.

But in reality, it is understood they had been on a downward spiral since Kate saw the 24-year-old future king passing out from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in December last year.

Friends say William, now a fully-fledged officer in the Blues and Royals, has engrossed himself in Army life — preferring to go out drinking with his colleagues than drive back to London to see Kate.

When he began his 2½-month tank commander course at the Army’s school of armoury in Bovington, Dorset, on March 16, the relationship was in freefall.

The course means the Prince is stuck on an isolated base from Monday to Friday each week.

Romance ... but Kate has split with Wills, pictured passing out at Sandhurst

The fact that his time has been taken up has put further strain on 25-year-old Kate.

One close friend of the couple said: “As far as Kate is concerned, William simply hasn’t been paying her enough attention.

“She is stuck in London while he is living in an officer’s mess in Dorset. Kate feels hugely frustrated that their relationship just seems to be going backwards at a rate of knots.

“At university they were living together. Now, nearly three years on, they are lucky if they see each other once a week.

“When he does get a night off, it appears to Kate that William would rather spend time drinking with his new-found Army pals.”

While millions of people will be shocked to read that the world’s most eligible bachelor is back on the market, friends of the couple will be equally surprised.

Any cracks in their relationship were hidden from all but the couple’s closest circle.

But the friend said William and Kate had found it impossible to cope with the extraordinary pressures placed on their relationship.

And at 24, the Prince is said to feel he is too young to marry. The last time the pair were seen together was on March 13, when they dressed in matching tweeds to spend the day at the Cheltenham Racing Festival.

Last month William ended up on the front pages when The Sun revealed he grabbed a girl’s boob during a night out with Army pals in Bournemouth.

Saucy Wills slipped his hand around Brazilian student Ana Ferreira, 18, as she partied with a pal in the Elements Club.

And on the same night the Prince was snapped with leggy blonde Lisa Agar, 19.

He invited her back to his barracks for a nightcap and she left at 4.15am when he said he had to go to bed.

Then last week William and his pals were accused of wrecking an acoustic guitarist’s dream gig. A pal stormed the stage to tell Dan Baker: “Please stop playing these c**p songs — the Prince wants dance music.”

Tipsy Wills guffawed and raised his glass. But 200 fans who had been enjoying the gig at the upmarket Bliss wine bar in Bournemouth were left stunned.

Tender ... they share romantic moment
on Swiss ski trip last month

According to the friend William’s recent antics have been a major blow for Kate, who has had to cope with being at the centre of a media storm.

The friend added: “The sheer amount of attention Kate was getting put an unbearable strain on William. He, more than anyone else, will not be pressured into marriage by a media scrum hungry for an announcement.

“But Kate suddenly found herself at the centre of intense speculation. And, for the first time in their long relationship, she really became the story.

“Kate was seen as fair game for photographers and there was very little William could do to protect her. His only option would be to bring her in from the cold as it were — to ask her to be his bride and make it public.

“But this is simply not an option for William. He will not be rushed and whatever the papers say — he still feels too young.”

It is understood that following the amicable decision to split, Kate has left London to spend time with her loyal and loving parents Carole and Michael Middleton. She will spend the weekend talking through the decision with them at the family home in Bucklebury, Berks. It will be a particularly bitter blow for the Middleton family.

Kate’s parents adore William and have really brought him in as one of the family.

Day out ... Kate with Wills and Harry at rugby match

While at Sandhurst, William often made the short journey from the Surrey academy down to Berkshire to visit the Middletons.

They were happy to allow him to sleep at the family home whenever he wanted. And in many ways the Middletons represented the kind of normal loving family William was denied as a child.

Prince William met pretty Kate in his first year at Scotland’s St Andrews University in 2001.

She was also in her first year — having left the posh Marlborough College public school the previous year.

Although she had attended one of the top public schools and the private prep school St Andrews in Berkshire, Kate’s family background was modest.

Dad Michael, 57, and mum Carole, 52, were self-made millionaires who quit their jobs with an airline to set up the children’s mail order firm Party Pieces.

Kate, who was said to have had a poster of William on her wall while at school, famously caught his eye as she strolled down the catwalk wearing a see-through top and lace bra during a charity fashion show at the university.

As their romance blossomed in October 2002, the couple decided to rent a flat together, along with two male friends of the couple.

In 2004 Kate’s relationship with William became public knowledge when The Sun published pictures of them skiing in Klosters with the rest of the Royals.

Both finished their degrees in June 2005, when the Queen and Prince Philip joined William’s dad Prince Charles, Charles’ wife Camilla and Kate’s parents at the graduation ceremony.

Within a month of leaving university Kate flew to Kenya, Africa, to spend a month with her lover on a safari ranch.

Since then Kate has moved to London to be near William. And last autumn she began work as a part-time buyer for the high street fashion firm Jigsaw.

Meanwhile William has been busy since beginning his Army career in January last year.

During his time at Sandhurst he would drive to see Kate straight from sleeping in ditches on exercise.

A spokesman for Clarence House said: “Prince William’s personal life is private and as such we do not comment on it.”

all over The Sun newspaper this morning...

a lot of the people in the Kate Middleton thread will be happy lol

^ I wouldn't count on it. She will prob will her dream job 'A socialite'...

that is really quite sad, i didn't really like/dislike her but i thought they were a perfect match. the times also covered the story which makes me believe it is true, as the sun can't always be relied upon... us english folk are going to have to wait much longer for a royal wedding now, boo, i was looking forward to seeing which dress kate would have picked.

CNN and Reuters are reporting it too...

This quote makes a lot of sense:

"Maybe she realized the awful burden she would have been under. It's a life sentence marrying a royal."

But it could've also boiled down to the fact that there was too much pressure for him to make an announcement about an engagement by the summer...I also think she may have freaked out about a future that would've been a rough one...being royalty in England is no fun...

I actually kind of like them together. It sucks if they had to break up because of outside stressers and not how they felt about each other.

Yayaya haha yes I am happy but like eurofashionjunki said she will probably get her dream job "socialite" and "it girl":yuk: :sick:

I don't know anyone who's gone through Sandhurst and then being a junior officer with their girlfriend/marriage intact.

^ Those soldiers can't keep their hands to themself...lol

I actually quite like Kate... but I don't see her and Wills breaking up now. I don't think they'll last the year, but I still can't see them apart at the moment.

"Maybe she realized the awful burden she would have been under. It's a life sentence marrying a royal."

That is the very reason that Camilla wouldn't marry Charles when they were younger, and probably the reason behind the separation of Adraina Lima and Prince Wenzelas. In the end, when it comes to relationships with royals, you have to be really, really in love. I don't think I could ever do it.

Here's the article from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6554841.stm

_42800503_katewilliamafp203ok.jpg

Prince William splits from Kate

The couple had been under intense media pressure since they met at St Andrews University, Fife, in 2001, BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt said. The prince's move to an army camp in Dorset, with Miss Middleton continuing her life in London, is also said to have put a strain on the relationship. Clarence House has not commented on the split. There had been speculation about a possible engagement in recent months.

BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said: "It's a surprise, because it had seemed very stable and very steady." He said he thought the prince's move to Bovington Camp in Dorset had "a lot to do with the final stages" of the break-up.

The Sun reported that the couple had seen each other no more than once a week since then. "One must suspect, though I don't know that this is absolutely certain, that it is more his decision than hers," said Nicholas Witchell. "He has said in the past that he is too young to get married. But I am led to believe that there is no-one else involved and that it is a decision they have come to mutually."

Duncan Larcombe, the Sun's royal correspondent, told BBC Five Live: "The last person on earth who's going to be pressured by newspaper columnists and television chat shows to get married is Prince William."

_42800571_middletonpa203ok.jpg

The Sun said the pair had reached an "amicable agreement" to part.

Earlier this month, Miss Middleton settled a harassment complaint against the Daily Mirror over a close-up photograph published by the paper. At the time of her 25th birthday in January, amid mounting speculation about a possible engagement, a media scrum formed outside Miss Middleton's home. And police officers were called to a London nightclub that month to stop photographers getting too close as the couple left the venue. Prince William, who is second in line to the throne, appealed for the paparazzi to stop harassing Miss Middleton. Her lawyers contacted newspaper editors in 2005 to ask the press to leave her and her family alone. They said that photographers had followed her almost every day and night since she had left university.

William, 24, is an army officer in the Household Cavalry's Blues and Royals. Miss Middleton attended the prince's graduation from Sandhurst Military Academy in December. It was the first time she had attended such a high-profile event, at which the Queen and other senior royals were present. Miss Middleton left her family home in Berkshire on Saturday morning without speaking to the assembled press pack.

She works as an accessories buyer for a fashion company.

_42800521_middletonafp203ok.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
liberty33r1b said:
yes! and her 5 mins of fame are over now...
Hopefully...no more of her hideous outfits

Edit: What do they mean by an "amicable agreement" it makes it sound as though they are married or something

chanelnumber5 said:
Hopefully...no more of her hideous outfits

Edit: What do they mean by an "amicable agreement" it makes it sound as though they are married or something

I think it's just to clarify that no one dumped the other.

From The Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...tml?in_article_id=448606&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

"Kate's background was always a bit of a laughing point among William's friends. They openly mocked her mother's air-stewardess credentials, greeting Kate with a whispered chorus of "Doors to manual". "There'd be jibes asking Kate if she was going to wheel in the trolley and when the food service would start. All pretty juvenile stuff, but these are former Eton chaps who are permanently stuck in that sort of humour."

They sound a *charming* lot. Kate's probably better off out of it. They sound the sort of friends who would never let her forget that she wasn't "one of them" and she didn't belong.

^totally agree. Kate will be better off marrying a man with better quality and better friends. With her fame at this moment, i do'nt doubt that she will find one who loves her more yet with more freedom in his own life...that royal family, as far as marriage goes, hasn't been blessed lately.

from ap.com

Many saw her as Britain's future queen, but it looks like Kate Middleton's royal romance will not have a fairy-tale ending.

If Middleton and Prince William have ended their four-year relationship, a decision that surprised palace-watchers and disappointed monarchists hoping for a glamorous royal wedding to rival that of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

For many Britons, however, the split provided more evidence that the royals are as human as anyone else.

"I think they're just like any other couple," said Minet Marshall, a 36-year-old London office worker. "They're young, and before you meet the right person you have to kiss a lot of frogs."

The Sun newspaper reported the breakup Saturday in a front-page story, saying the couple had reached an "amicable agreement" to separate.

William's Clarence House office refused to comment, saying it did not discuss the prince's private life, but royal sources did not deny the report, tacitly acknowledging it was true.

The news took many royal-watchers by surprise. It was widely thought the couple would soon announce their engagement; one bookmaker was so certain of a royal wedding it stopped taking bets on it earlier this year. The retail chain Woolworths had commissioned mugs, plates and other Wills-and-Kate memorabilia, despite the absence of a formal engagement.
Behind the scenes, a different story unfolded. The Sun said the split was caused by the "extraordinary pressures" on the couple and by William's career in the army. The second in line to the throne graduated from Sandhurst military academy in December and is undergoing further training at an army base in rural England, while Middleton lives in London.

I think that if they were really in love then it's sad because it would have been the pressure that caused the break up. Obviously neither were ready to be married. Although it is only speculation as to why but it's highly possible that Kate wasn't sure that she was ready to accept the responsibilities and restrictions that would come with marrying into royalty and Wills, he's still not done with being a bachelor yet clearly. But there was so much pressure on them to get married. That wasn't fair to them.

And if the jibes taken at Kate and her family as reported were true, then I admire her for having held on for this long. And I hope she doesn't fall into the "socialite" trap. I like her and it would be disappointing if she did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->