Prince William & Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge News #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
More creepy than following other celebs and their schedule? I'm pretty sure that's standard fan behaviour. I presume this was done to prove a point.
I find it odd with any celebrity, but particularly in this case as it was done retrospectively, meaning whoever compiled the list would have had to gone through every photo there has been taken of her and looked up the location as well as ID-ing everyone else in the photos. And I don't really understand what point is proved here? That she went to parties? The list is not everything she did in those two years, just that which was photographed/reported, which would tend to be parties or public events. Who knows (and frankly, its none of our business) what she was doing for the rest of the time.

I'm quite annoyed by this trip. It's too soon. I guess the point of it is to make sure the public (and young people in particular) in Canada like them, but I don't feel they have much substance, which is important to keeping the monarchy "relevant". It isn't all about smiling and looking nice. Right now, they're just a young couple how haven't done much yet. Why are we paying to parade them around?

I'm so sick of Diana/Kate comparisons. Let the poor woman rest in peace and give Kate at least some chance at being her own person and making her own way. Jesus. And why does it always have to be a fairytale ending? I mean wasn't marrying her prince a fairytale ending? I don't get that point unless they're talking about death.

I feel like this trip does nothing for them, the look stiff in most of the photos. It feels like no one outside of some tabloids are covering this trip. Maybe that will change when they come to California.

^ Is it really common for American media to cover royal tours of Canada though?

I'm quite annoyed by this trip. It's too soon. I guess the point of it is to make sure the public (and young people in particular) in Canada like them, but I don't feel they have much substance, which is important to keeping the monarchy "relevant". It isn't all about smiling and looking nice. Right now, they're just a young couple how haven't done much yet. Why are we paying to parade them around?

Because it's their "job".

^ It's not really common for American media to cover royals at all but there has been a lot of coverage of these two, especially after the wedding. There has been some morning tv coverage and I just assumed that they would cover their Canada trip to drum up excitement for their trip to California.

Because it's their "job".
It totally isn't. When Mette-Merit goes abroad it's not just to smile and hug some kids she does actual work regarding AIDS and development, same goes for Princess Mathilde of Belgium who focus a lot on children slavery, Rania of Jordan who works a lot to empower women and young girls etc.. I am not going to talk about Lady Diana who used very innovative ideas and outlets to put the limelight on some NGOs and work. I wish the Duchess could start focusing more on what kind of Princess she wants to be, what kind of interest she has etc.. The Duchess remind me of Princess Marie & Mary of Denmark in that regard, those 2 looks like they are just there to inaugurate stuff and cut ribbon. I am very excited to see how Princess Charlène will develop her interest for the special Olympic, environment and AIDS/poverty.

^Not even Diana and Camilla had their own Charity 2 months after they got married. I doubt Mette-Merit, Malthide, and Rania did also.

Well I hope she doesn't take the Camilla route :lol: I am not talking about setting up a foundation/charity. If I recall correctly I don't think Mette-Merit has hers, it's her husband's. CP Mary has her own foundation but doesn't do much with it. I am more talking about engaging yourself, doing little events but starting somewhere.. Charlène wasn't married when she started fundraising for the special olympics in SA. That being said, seems like Charlène has always been a very engaged/"charity" oriented person even before she dated the Prince. This may be why she actually knows where she wants to focus. I am not going to compare her to CP Maxima who had a very solid foundation to be able to make a difference.. But you are right, let's give her time. We'll see :smile:.
What are they doing in Canada anyway? Is there some kind of summit going on? What is the purpose of the trip?

What are they doing in Canada anyway? Is there some kind of summit going on? What is the purpose of the trip?

I assume they chose Canada for a number of reasons. Given the positive reaction globally to William and Catherine sending them to countries in the Commonwealth and letting them interact with the people is incredibly clever diplomatically. There are plans for them to visit Australia and New Zealand next year. While all three are big countries in the commonwealth they are also countries plagued with the constant argument for a republic. Putting this couple in the spotlight distracts from the republican discussion.

Also, the British Royal Family is not just the British royal family.
From Wiki:
Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, born 21 April 1926) is the constitutional monarch of sixteen sovereign states known as the Commonwealth Realms: the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis. As Head of the Commonwealth she is the figurehead of the 54-member Commonwealth of Nations; as the British Monarch, she is the Supreme Govenor of the Church of England.
In other words, the Queen and her family visiting parts of the Commonwealth is much like any other European Royals visiting parts of their own countries- it's just the Queen has a much larger area over which she is Head of State!

It was once said that the sun never set on the Empire of Queen Victoria. You could easily claim that for Queen Elizabeth too. Britain did an excellent job colonising the world (save for the disappointment of losing the US...)!

IMO- Monarchies are centuries old and can be outdated and irrelevant. In the modern world of constitutional Monarchies (i.e the Monarch has no actual power save for symbolic gestures) they need to stay relevant/relatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I don't think they choose Canada. The Canadian government invited William to come a year ago and when he got engaged they extended the invitation to Catherine. The Canadian Government/British Government also have a large part of the events that they are participating in.

^ I don't think they choose Canada. The Canadian government invited William to come a year ago and when he got engaged they extended the invitation to Catherine. The Canadian Government/British Government also have a large part of the events that they are participating in.

I'd forgotten about the invite, thankyou!
Posted via Mobile Device

They are hosting a charity polo match in California and ...
"On Sunday, the royal couple will attend an event supporting the U.S. branch of Tusk Trust, an international group promoting conservation of African wildlife. They'll also visit an inner-city arts program for impoverished children and a job fair for American military personnel transitioning to civilian life."-AP

They aren't only shaking hands and kissing babies. Don't forget, all of the visits across Canada have broadcasted the nation's beauty and qualities, which I'm sure the Canadian economy has appreciated.^_^

I think Kate has to be one of the luckier people to marry into royalty...from all the candid stuff we've seen from this trip, William actually seems love her. It appears very genuine. I don't think she ever has to worry about cheating or any other crazy crap embarrassing her. It's nice to see two people in such a high profile situation who aren't faking it.

They are hosting a charity polo match in California and ...

They aren't only shaking hands and kissing babies. Don't forget, all of the visits across Canada have broadcasted the nation's beauty and qualities, which I'm sure the Canadian economy has appreciated.^_^

We have a booming tourism industry. We don't really need them to promote the country to the world.

Isn't there some saying that any publicity is good publicity? I definitely want to visit Canada after seeing photos of their trip!

The Royals help make alot money via tourism.

Looking forward to seeing them in LA! It'll be such a different setting to the beautiful scenery we've seen in Canada. Plus I'm pretty exited re the BAFTA event dress! Whatkakrewoe had this shot of them loading the plane a few days ago, has me curious whether this is the dress:
Kates-Luggage-Getty-Images.jpg

^ I definitely agree - I never realised how beautiful Canada was until I saw photos of this trip! I know in the UK at least Canada doesn't really get that much coverage (especially compared to other Commonwealth countries) so this trip has definitely raised its profile.

And good spot on the dress! (Please could you let us know where the photos are from though, as otherwise they might get taken down by a mod :flower: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->