Prince William & Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge News #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I definitely agree - I never realised how beautiful Canada was until I saw photos of this trip! I know in the UK at least Canada doesn't really get that much coverage (especially compared to other Commonwealth countries) so this trip has definitely raised its profile.

And good spot on the dress! (Please could you let us know where the photos are from though, as otherwise they might get taken down by a mod :flower: )

Whoops! They're from whatkatewore.com

I think Kate has to be one of the luckier people to marry into royalty...from all the candid stuff we've seen from this trip, William actually seems love her. It appears very genuine. I don't think she ever has to worry about cheating or any other crazy crap embarrassing her. It's nice to see two people in such a high profile situation who aren't faking it.
this! to tell you the truth, i didn't have much simpathy towards her or him too much. dunno why, might be due to all the waity-katey stuff, either way, nothing too substantial, but...i've been watching vids from canada here and there and i must say i'm surprised in a very nice way, when it comes to their "handling" each other and then handling this whole tour. i really didn't think they'd be the ones to turn windsor's image to more modern one, but now i'm rethinking it all*...i'm thinking it's mostly coming from the fact they seem quite genuine towards each other and other peeps. hope it lasts.

*esp after seeing the monaco wedding, compared to will and kate's, the latter ones seem as in love as romeo and juliet.

:blink:
The Canadian Tourism Commission seems to disagree:
http://www.facebook.com/KeepExploring?sk=app_173542406038616

I live in one in one of the most popular tourist destinations in the States. Perhaps, I should tell local attractions to stop advertising so much. Since, we don't really need it.:huh:

I agree Jillian. I can't really see how it could hurt Canada, even if they don't need the additional tourism. :blink:

I think it's great to see them out and about! It's a lose-lose though, if they weren't out meeting people I'm sure there would be complaints about that too.

I try to never base my assumptions on a royal couple by how affectionate they are.. Look at Prince Joachim and Alexandra. No one would have thought they'd get a divorce esp at the beginning yet.. That being said, if she survived 10 years being "waity katie" I am sure she'll do just fine in her new role. Plus PW seems quite protective of her and she has a long time coming before becoming the next Queen esp since those Windsor take their time before passing away :lol:

this! to tell you the truth, i didn't have much simpathy towards her or him too much. dunno why, might be due to all the waity-katey stuff, either way, nothing too substantial, but...i've been watching vids from canada here and there and i must say i'm surprised in a very nice way, when it comes to their "handling" each other and then handling this whole tour. i really didn't think they'd be the ones to turn windsor's image to more modern one, but now i'm rethinking it all*...i'm thinking it's mostly coming from the fact they seem quite genuine towards each other and other peeps. hope it lasts.

*esp after seeing the monaco wedding, compared to will and kate's, the latter ones seem as in love as romeo and juliet.

Completely agree! Never used to really care for them one way or the other. But following the wedding and this tour they've definitely improved my view of the Windsors!

I still have issues with the fact that she spent 9 years waiting around for him to get to where he wanted in his career and wish she'd perhaps concentrated on her own a little more (though maybe she did and I'm just unaware). But she does seem like a lovely person and they seem to be in love.

^She was with for her parents company party pieces and in 2008 launched first birthdays.
She also tried to open up her own mail-in-order company in baby clothing after she graduated college, but it failed to launched

^ Hardly a 'real career' though. It smacks of filling in time rather than doing something purposeful. The only real benefit she got out of her uni degree was meeting William. With a degree in History of Art, surely she could have used her societal connections to find substantial work in an auction house, a gallery, a museum or something of the sort (I understand these kinds of places sometimes act as short-term forms of employment for 'society girls' in their 20s who work until they meet their husbands and then retire to have babies). In my opinion, the reason she worked for her parents was so that she could have absolute flexibility in her hours so that she could arrange her life around pleasing William so that he'd wife her up.

^ Hardly a 'real career' though. It smacks of filling in time rather than doing something purposeful. The only real benefit she got out of her uni degree was meeting William. With a degree in History of Art, surely she could have used her societal connections to find substantial work in an auction house, a gallery, a museum or something of the sort (I understand these kinds of places sometimes act as short-term forms of employment for 'society girls' in their 20s who work until they meet their husbands and then retire to have babies). In my opinion, the reason she worked for her parents was so that she could have absolute flexibility in her hours so that she could arrange her life around pleasing William so that he'd wife her up.

Very true. That's what I meant to say earlier. But you explain it much better!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is a difference between "helping your parents out once in awhile" and holding a real position at her parents firm. Holly Branson held/hold a real position at Virgin same could be said for Ivanka Trump. The Duchess, not so much. Her most die hard fans used to say that in her position it was very hard to find a job, yet tons of princesses and prince did it before her (best example would CP Daniel). That being said, she is doing extremely well so far. She def learned the rope of the whole etiquette and royal thing, she seems to be a very easy going, warm person. She used to be described as very shy yet she mastered the whole small chat thing. Great for her, I am sure she'll be a good princess for the UK :smile:

Documentary about The Duchess in Canada. It's nice to see her clothes in motion.

Thanks Persephone G for finding this documentary.

Exactly why I don't like Kate.

What I want to see is her using her "power" and influence to work and promote for social issues. Imo, that's the right way to modernise monarchies. Monarchies have become obsolete and they need to redefine their purpose. Promoting a country, generating tourism is not enough. The money spent on them could have been applied directly with similar results.

These two remind me more of a politician and wife than royals -- just going by their whole presentation on this trip. All the activities they did remind me of how politicians campaign. And then there is her whole image, specifically how she is being careful about buying accessible clothes. They are really making Charles and Camilla look so...last century.

These two remind me more of a politician and wife than royals -- just going by their whole presentation on this trip. All the activities they did remind me of how politicians campaign. And then there is her whole image, specifically how she is being careful about buying accessible clothes. They are really making Charles and Camilla look so...last century.
That's just smoke. More people in the UK dresses more from shops like Mark&Spencer than from Jenny P, DVF, McQueen and Erdem. A real statement would have been wearing a cute M&S simple cocktail dress at the polo event with nice accessories. It's not because she is not wearing Versace that her clothes are less expensive :wink: She has just the amazing talent to make designer pieces look blah.. The last evening gown was McQueen, not in a million year would have I believed it.

As for their trip, it was very First Lady like I agree. But what do you want them to do? They'll probably have to wait 30 years or so before becoming Queen/King. They aren't the direct next in line so very few political meetings etc. This was a trip to showcase the new bride and put some positive light on the firm. Let's be honest, The Duchess is nothing more than a pretty face for now and the Duke despite his best effort with his patronage/charity is more known for being the soon of his iconic late mother, his polo matches (which help raise money for his charities) and 1/2 exotical outing (sleeping in the street to learn more about homeless) than his stellar charisma and original ideas to tackle the issues he cares about/is asked to care about. I don't think he came out as his own for now.. Harry is succeeding better on that aspect.

It was perfectly planned and perfectly executed that's for sure. They make a great team, I think it was success on every level wasn't it?

Ammarra is completely right.

Yes, the clothes Catherine wore on this trip are accessible. But they're only accessible to people like her- Britain's (upper) Middle Class.

I believe I've said this before but the problem with Royalty, and royal houses, is that they are obsolete*. The Queen is Head of State for a handful of countries but one of her only duties directly relating to government is approving each new Prime Minister, which is done by the Governor General (the Queen's representative) in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Granted, she's also the Head of the Commonwealth and in this role she will travel to Perth, Australia later this year for a Heads of Governments conference.
(FYI: What countries are in the commonwealth? For the most part, those that were at one time or another occupied/ruled/invaded/'looked after' by Britain. India, Botswana, Cyprus and Mozambique etc. The Commonwealth functions much like the EU, in that it has a set of goals relating to, amongst other things, Democracy, free trade and World Peace)

Given the Queen rules over Constitutional Monarchies there is very little 'ruling' to do. Which is why it's so important the Royal Family is seen to be doing something- Charities etc. When Catherine starts getting involved in such things and making a difference, well then I shall be very impressed :smile:

For the time being however- She has does a marvelous job, dressed appropriately and impressed both the public and the media. She and Will have also definitely warmed up my own perception of the RF. But it's barely been 4 months yet!

*I say obsolete because I can't think of a better word. Unnecessary? an added extra? Not sure what's right! ETA: Have just realised ADVO uses the word higher up the page to say the same thing!

When Catherine starts getting involved in such things and making a difference, well then I shall be very impressed :smile:
I look forward seeing what she'll choose and how she'll do this. Cutting ribbons is not enough for me. She is a Art degree graduate so I am hoping for some creativity. She seems to get along well with kids, I wonder if she'll do like the First Lady or Grace Kelly and try to open up the castles to kids and disadvantage children from the country. I don't think wearing less expensive designers would be more effective than, setting up events which would bring more "life" to Kensington or BP when the times come. It'd be amazing to see her develop some art program to help kids discover maybe other sides of themselves or really team up with existing charities, I'd love to see if she is going to tackle the whole teen pregnancy epidemics, or alcool issues of the youth, bullying, minorities rights etc.. I also think the Monarchy needs someone who will stand up for women's rights. Someone who will embody the modern women with all her layers. I look forward seeing how she'll embrace the Britain of today which is a crazy melting pot. I love that FLOTUS incorporate in her outfits or menu differents elements, sometimes African or Asian etc.. The world is her oyster and I really hope she'll make the most of it and leave a great legacy. But maybe my dreams are too big for her :flower:

^Hmpf. The world was always her oyster but she just never made anything out of it then. Will it be different now that she has become a princess - or rather a duchess - perhaps. But I would certainly not understand the mentality that I'll just wait with doing something in my life until I've become a duchess...? :blink:

I think we're all on the same wavelength here. She should have and could have made more of herself prior to becoming a Duchess, but now she is one and hopefully will make a difference. Time will tell....

Some great plans for her there Ammarra :smile:

Hopefully they use Kate for more things than just playing "The Good Wife"...she's clearly been well educated and can speak well. I'd like to see her taking to the podium a little more in the future.

clothing reimbursements are made by the Queen (and by extension the taxpayers) for every garment used when on official appearances. :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->