Rodarte S/S 10 New York

It's not about the wear-a-bility factor for Rodarte though. I don't think they claim to be creating a collection that you can wear in everyday life. A lot of stuff shown in couture shows is pretty useless in terms of where you can wear it also. I suppose you have to think of it in those terms, after all it is pretty much demi-couture anyway.

I do agree there's a bit of a 'seen it all' element, but i love how using the same silouhette, they manage to create different looks each season, and the collection still feel fresh.
Loved this collection.

i keep coming back to see how many people find this genius and it stuns me.. put this show in Paris or London and it becomes just another show.. worse even, it could be someone's grad show and it will be off schedule and noone will even look twice..
honestly this is NOT GOOD in terms of work, it might be a great show in NY because all is grim and models look tough and there is some smoke and possibly some great music but the clothes really aren't spectacular. it gives me as a buyer the same vibe as every other season and i never managed to buy it so WHEN will they make some changes (you can change and yet still be true to your style)

I really cannot agree with you more. :shock:

IMO (very important) there is nothign remotely couture about this. It looks homemade. At least with NINA Ricci from afar (again) it looks good and with heavy edititing there is some commercial viablility.

co-sining with those who belive NY is trying hard to make them as genuis. Looks like the standard European gra collection, and even they could do a better job.

Well it's nothing new for them, and that is a little disappointing in a way. I love their collage-like approach to design, I really do, but I want to see what else they're capable of at this point. So far this feels very familiar to me, more so than last season where they kept the techniques the same but changed up the shape and look of the clothes.

On a purely aesthetic level though I freakin love warrior women and apocalyptic beauty, so I am excited to see this all together.

I was waiting to see what you said, because you and i usually have the same thing to say and i agree with you completely. I love the warrior look but since this is "rodarte" I was hoping just an improvement on the polish to take it from looking like a crafts project to something closer to high fashion, which sometimes they fall short of doing. Because they keep repeating themselves, I am starting to think that these "techniques" are coming from a "how-to" book instead of having some real crazy collaboration with a textile mill or conceptual/visual/whatever artist who is able to give it a new perspective.

The silhouettes are a re-hash of a few of their past collections, and this is more of let down than their lack of real "techniques".

They certainly have their shtick- I don't go to Rodarte looking for anything innovative. But what they do they do well, and this season is no exception.

the issue i have with this is that it's a collection of laziness. Unfinished seams, sub par details, and the same silhouettes.

I don't know exactly how I feel about this but I will say that the shoes are incredible. I love the idea of the tattoos but they could've been executed much better. Maybe they could've made sheer body suits or sleeves with the tattoos printed on them?

I really adore the lattice leasther work on some of the outifts, but others are not up to scratch. However, atleast there is a level of experiementation that isn't there with a lot of NY shows.
I definitly prefer the last few seasons instead of this, it seems like the level of skill and taste has decreased but I am still excited about them as designersd in general.

No one does work like Rodarte. You can't find clothes like these in any stores unless it bears the Rodarte level.

As recognized as Dior, de la Renta, Marc Jacobs, YSL, Miu Miu, etc etc is, you can find similar clothes (maybe not of the same quality) at H&M, one of the high-fashion street stores, vintage shops or outlets, etc. But Rodarte is wholly unique.

I'm beginning to think they are a one-trick pony. I realized webbing is their thing but I would like to see the look evolve more from season to season.

the more i look at it... yes it is similar to their other collections but perhaps i was too quick to judge? I hope to see something a bit different next season, but it's really growing on me... like devils and goth chicks... ha!

I feel like I need detail shots... anyone know where I can get some of this collection? the more I look the more I want to see the details! let me know!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->