Roland Mouret for GAP

It's not that they look particularly bad....just very overpriced imo.... I would have gotten that dress Innocent tried on if it was 45-50.... but 78????

yeah I agree with susie. I don't think any of us mind paying 78 for a dress, that we think there is something special about, but if you wanted around long enough you could find something identical at Topshop, H&M, Miss Selfridge, Zara, etc. etc.

I remember that they would be available at GAP stores in the States as of 12/1. Are they in yet?

they should be in. here are the NYC stores. call 'em and ask.

The dresses will be available at: Astor Place, (212) 253-0145; 657 Third Ave., at 42nd Street, (212) 697-3590; 734 Lexington Ave., at 59th Street, (212) 751-1543; 60 W. 34th St., at Broadway, (212) 760-1268; 680 Fifth Ave., at 54th Street, (212) 977-7023; 1466 Broadway, at 42nd Street, (212) 382-4500; 122 Fifth Ave., at 18th Street, (917) 408-5580.

wow,nobody's buying 'em in the US. once again gap screws up. they shoud have advertised mouret's name. they hint at a possible philo partnership!

excerpts from a bloomberg news story

Gap's Designer Pieces Fail to Drive Buzz for Holidays

Dec. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Cynthia Sanner got to Gap Inc.'s New York store Dec. 1 on Fifth Avenue two hours before it opened to make certain she would get one of French designer Roland Mouret's dresses made exclusively for the clothing chain.
She needn't have bothered. She stood alone for an hour and 20 minutes before being joined in line by two other shoppers. ``I was shocked,'' said the 35-year-old personal assistant from New York. ``I thought it was going to be a mob scene.''
Sanner's experience suggests that not even borrowing a tactic used by Swedish rival Hennes & Mauritz AB will help Gap ignite holiday sales. Chief Executive Officer Paul Pressler is struggling to lure shoppers after comparable sales declined in 27 of 30 months. H&M drew throngs by partnering with designers such as Karl Lagerfeld and Stella McCartney.
More retailers are using high-end designers to boost traffic and sales. Target Corp., the second-biggest U.S. discounter, sells Isaac Mizrahi clothing while Kohl's Corp. will sell a collection by Vera Wang.
Unlike Stockholm-based H&M's treatment of its designs, Gap didn't display Mouret's name in stores or windows or even on the clothing. ``It's missed execution,'' said Mark Montagna, a New York-based CL King & Associates analyst who rates Gap ``underperform.''
``It's good they are doing this test,'' Montagna said. ``It's more to raise the image of the Gap brand. But it's a missed opportunity.''
Gap Strategy
Gap said the dresses were intended to be an exclusive collection and that it promoted them in publications such as Style.com as well as local newspapers including the New York Post. New York stores received phone calls from different parts of the country several days before the dresses went on sale asking for them to be put on hold, spokeswoman Robin Carr said today.
``Our stores had lines of people wrapped around the block'' in anticipation for them to open, she said, without specifying locations. ``The dresses are selling rapidly and we are extremely pleased'' with the results.
San Francisco-based Gap's shares rose 28 cents, or 1.5 percent, to $18.96 at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock has increased 7.5 percent this year, compared with a 13 percent gain on the Standard & Poor's 500 Index.
Analysts estimate Gap's profit will decline for a second year as slumping sales force the retailer to discount. November sales at stores open at least a year tumbled 8 percent.
``They already blew'' the holiday, said Montagna. Sales will keep falling this year, he said.
Holiday Quarter
The holiday quarter is the biggest for Gap and other retailers. Last year, November through January accounted for 32 percent of industry profits, the International Council of Shopping Centers said.
Retailers' holiday same-store sales in November and December may rise as little as 2.5 percent, the ICSC said. The projection came down from an estimate of 3 percent after Wal- Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer, reported its worst month in a decade.
Gap sold a larger Mouret collection in Europe last month. Priced in the U.S. from $88 to $108, five dresses were black and one was red. They included cowl-neck and capped sleeves and were sold at seven New York Gap stores. Carr declined to give the European sales performance, except to say the company is ``very pleased with customer response.''
Mouret's designs have been worn by celebrities Nicole Kidman and Cameron Diaz.
Short Sales
The number of Gap shares that have been sold short rose 75 percent in November, the biggest gain among apparel retailers tracked by Credit Suisse as ``investors speculate that holiday sales will be lackluster,'' the firm wrote in a Nov. 30 report. Investors can profit from a falling stock by selling borrowed shares and buying them back later at a lower price.
At New York Gap stores, Mouret's pieces were featured in windows with a sign reading, ``The Five Dresses. Limited Edition. Designed Exclusively for Gap.'' Nowhere did Mouret's name appear. When H&M in November sold Dutch duo Viktor & Rolf's collection, their name was prominently displayed and lines snaked around the outside of stores.
``I don't think it was well-publicized,'' said Kate Casey, 30, a registered nurse from New York who said she hadn't shopped at Gap in two years and came only to buy the dresses. ``I even went online, and they didn't have this on the Web site.''
``We have lost confidence in management's ability to source the right product,'' wrote Todd Slater, an analyst at Lazard Capital Markets, which lowered Gap's rating to ``hold'' from ``buy'' on Nov. 30. In addition to the Roland Mouret partnership, Gap is working with a number of other ``individuals,'' Carr said.
``It's encouraging to see they are trying different avenues,'' said Lawrence Creatura, a portfolio manager at Rochester, New York-based Clover Capital Management who said he'll consider buying Gap shares if sales improve.
The key is converting shoppers like Barbara Saunders, a 48- year-old museum curator from Ormond Beach, Florida. Saunders, who hadn't been to a Gap in two years, bought three Mouret dresses and browsed through other racks.
``I was shocked there were so many cute things,'' she said. ``I'm going to try to encourage my girls to shop here.''

i went to the gap at 42nd and broadway and the roland mouret dresses are there -- tucked away in the back of the 2nd floor. (i don't understand why they don't promote it more.) there aren't many small or even medium sizes left at that particular store, in most styles of the dresses. i tried on the red tunic with bell sleeves and the belted boatneck dress, and ended up getting the red tunic - it has a nice flow to it, and is super-comfy (and the profits go to a great cause!)

overall i wasn't that impressed with the quality of the dresses. i thought about getting the boatneck dress as well, but i didn't think the quality was worth $108.

Here's an article the daily mail did on how the staff of Vogue style the dresses: source dailymail.co.uk
Give us mouret

By GEMMA ROGERS

The team from style bible Vogue shows us how they're waering Roland's Gap dresses. Antonia Mackay, 24, Editorial assistant from West London. Wears her Gap A-line dress (£78) with: Black leggings from Falke, grey peep-toe heels from Zara and a white vintage belt. Verdict: 'You can't go wrong with these dresses, everyone loves Gap and Roland Mouret. I always try to keep mine simple with either heels and jewellery of an evening, and pumps with leggings during the day. I do think the dress is quite expensive for Gap, but it's good quality.'
pic4_228x390.jpg

Sarah Harris, 27, Fashion features writer from West London. Wears her navy wool Gap dress (£78) with: Black leggings from Falke, black belt from YSL, court shoes from Chanel. Verdict: 'I like to wear the dress to work when I have something going on in the evening. I always wear a belt with mine so usually bring in an evening one to change into. I always roll the sleeves up on mine as this dress has balloon sleeves which I'm not overly keen on. Gap is my favourite high street store so a collaboration with Roland Mouret was the ultimate. I brought three dresses.'
pic5_169x450.jpg

Muffie Sproat, 27, Picture Coordinator from West London. Wears her Gap jersey dress (£55) with: Black opaque tights from Topshop, black boots from Kate Kuba, vintage silver jewellery and ribbon used as a hair band from Liberty. Verdict: 'The dress is really practical and very easy to wear, even though lots of people have them they all look different. I think the dress is really good value for money with great quality fabric. I love the fact you can get a classic, designer evening dress for £75 from the high street.'
pic6_166x450.jpg

Verity Parker, 22, Fashion assistant from London. Wears her Gap shirt dress (£78) with: Black leggings from Falke, black lace up shoes from B Store, watch from Casio, vintage bangles and black quilted bag from Chanel. Verdict: 'The dress is so versatile, it's great for that work-to-evening look. I always roll the sleeves up on mine, making it more personal. During the day I'll wear mine with flats and leggings, if I have something going on in the evening I change into heels and lift the dress up slightly, by pulling the side splits in from the pockets, which makes it shorter and sexier. It's so nice to be able to own a piece of Mouret at a high street price, a classic staple in any girl's wardrobe. I prefer not to wear a belt with mine, there is too much going on with the bib detail.'
pic3_174x450.jpg

Emma Elwick, 27, Market editor from North London. Wears her Gap navy scoop neck dress (£78) with: White pinstripe shirts from Miu Miu, nautical belt from Chloe, navy tights from Falke and patent green wedges from Christian Louboutin. Verdict: 'This dress has to be personalised, it's fatal in a office like ours where nearly everyone owns one. I like wearing vintage scarfs with mine, adding colour. I tend to wear the dress mostly at the weekend with pumps, but it's very easy for office chic. I also brought the grey bib one and tend to wear that with brown boots, creating a Victorian child look. The collaboration is a natural union, Roland is known for his glamour and unique tailoring, Gap is know for really good plain clothes, and together they have create a classic, timeless piece.'
pic7_163x450.jpg

Harriet Quick, 38, Fashion features editor from London. Wears her Gap shirt dress (£78) with: Black heels from Gucci, black tights from Wolford, belt from Miu Miu and watch from Christian Dior. Verdict: 'The collaboration is great, they've created a really good charcoal colour - grey can usually be quite draining but this is a winner. You know these are Roland dresses because of his signature trademark, the detailed pockets and puffed sleeves on this dress. I'm as happy to wear this as I am the real thing. Roland adores women, this shines through in his work with a sexy femininity every time.'
pic2_115x450.jpg

Fiona Golfar, 44, Editor at large from London. Wears her Gap jersey dress (£55) with: Black trousers, black court shoes from Prada, black belt from YSL and black bag from Pierre Hardy. Verdict: 'It's a genius idea providing us with a classic staple that is so versatile. A obvious marriage. I knew the dress would fit, it's Roland! I don't like to wear short dresses so I wear trousers with mine and a good heel giving you a nice silhouette, you have to counter balance.'
pic8_138x450.jpg

They totally dropped the ball on the publicity. I mean, if you're going to use a high-end designer, use the designer! Don't come out with a line of pieces that are hardly distinguishable from your (the low-end firm's) usual fare...and don't fail to publicize them in the US if you're going to sell them in NY. Also, they should have posted pictures on their US website at the very least. I searched and searched for images when I first heard about the collaboration...and they were nowhere to be found on the Gap website. And typically if I am going to go out of my way to visit a store I almost never visit just to see a massclusive collection, I need some motivation (..like enticing pictures) to make the effort.

Nine West also screwed up the massclusivity thing by failing to sufficiently publicize their Front Row Project...(I'm speculating here but I have a sneaking suspicion that they did not exactly sell out)

If you look at H&M and Target--arguably the most successful massclusivity partnerships stateside--they were all about publicity and hype. And each line was consistent with the aesthetic of the designer they partnered with...

It really seems like the Gap and Nine West do not have people who understand sophisticated taste or the dynamics of luxury goods markets running these projects. Perhaps they thought that word of mouth would do the trick? That it would be more "exclusive" if only the right people caught on to it?

Oh well...

Btw...anyone else getting a little massclusivity weary at this point? I've been so disappointed with so many massclusive collections as of late..just wondering if others feel the same..

I mean, I'm always open to seeing more massclusivity partnerships if they deliver (and by that I mean produce covetable items)..

...and this post is long enough now.. :lol::innocent:

india thanks for posting. its nice to see the garments on "non-models".

i also think they dropped the ball on publicity. but i think they didnt want to anger non NYC residents who may have wanted to purchase the line but werent able to. that may have been wise.

nine west massively screwed up my overpricing their project front row items. i would have bought that vivienne westwood skirt if it had been half off.

they didnt bother trying to mark these items down either. what a shame.

wow rails of returns, models with fake smiles, and different aesthetics for the "designer collection," that's the GAP for ya. Ick! The only thing I ever found appealing was their ad campaigns with Freja and Irina. Beautiful faces, horrible clothes. :sick:

raskal said:
We've got a whole rail now due to returns.

did u overhear any customers about why they returned it? Tell the manager he has the okay to burn the rack.

Lucy, I agree with you completely. They completely dropped the ball regarding the press...It's not like Gap can't do press, right now they're doing that HUGE campaign, the one that was just after (RED) whatever it is, "peace love and Gap"

Maybe they didn't want to go too many directions so quickly? They did go straight from the huge (RED) campaign into the even bigger "Peace Love & Gap" campaign. Also, I was thinking, perhaps they just want it to be cool, like cultish, but that is so completely moronic, when Gap is desperate to be hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markchris20224
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->