Target's "Go International" with Luella Bartley

I finally got a chance to see the collection yesterday. I am in love with all of it. :heart: Unfortunately, I can't do any more shopping now :lol:

one of the chunky necklaces is supposed to look like guitar picks.

the bracelets looked pretty flimsy like they could snap.

im impressed by the sheer number of items! seems like there is 50+.

stella for h&m was only 20 i think.

the canvas bags look like they'd be good for the beach, as are the mesh bags.

I'm not too into the 80s punk-princess look, but there are also some chic items. I LOVE the distressed leather jacket (looks horrible on target.com) and the plain button-down shirts. Cute summery necklaces and bags, along with cute minis.

Has anyone who tried on some of these items noticed they're quite ill-fitting? I'm talking specifically about the tee with puffy sleeves and a zipper...and the pants with suspenders. I had to size up on those..and they weren't a good length/cut.

I just thought of how similar Nicole Richie's Teen Vogue cover looks to the collection, of course also by Luella:

B0001A99IS.01.PT02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nicole wears a Luella Silk Faille Dress and Silk Striped Jacket
(amazon.com)

whoa crazy

i'm really curious as to how this stuff will fit...
esp that red dress on the website...someone who buys or orders it, let us know

haute femme said:
I'm not too into the 80s punk-princess look, but there are also some chic items. I LOVE the distressed leather jacket (looks horrible on target.com) and the plain button-down shirts. Cute summery necklaces and bags, along with cute minis.

Has anyone who tried on some of these items noticed they're quite ill-fitting? I'm talking specifically about the tee with puffy sleeves and a zipper...and the pants with suspenders. I had to size up on those..and they weren't a good length/cut.

I totally second that notion about the fit thing. I tried on the puffy sleeve tee and that black zippy rocker skirt, and both fit me very poorly. And I ususally have little trouble finding clothes that fit, so I was kind of p o'd.

Has anyone seen the shirt dress? It wasn't in the store, I think I'm going to buy it online & see what happens.

What does everyone mean when they say the fit is poor...? Like too loose or too tight?

I thought the sizing was generally going by the American Junior/Teen frame (smallish) since it's aimed at teens. Here's a sample listing from the Target size chart-

XS/size 1 = 31.5 bust, 24 waist, 34 hip
S/size 3-5 = 32.5-33.5 bust, 25-26 waist, 35-36 hip
M/size 7-9 = 34.5-35.5 bust, 27-28 waist, 37-38 hip

& so on...

Personally I think the stuff's adorable, and if everyone gets them, so what... isn't everyone who posts here one of the masses... I mean, unless designers start making one of a kind clothing, someone out there will always have your outfit...

I remember a certain $270 Marc Jacobs top that was featured everywhere, in magazines, on celebrities, and on TV shows. Sure it was expensive and designer, but because it was so visible, it became as recognizable as something from a mass market store! To me anyway...:innocent:

and Lovemyboots, thanks for the Teen vogue pic, I have that issue and I didn't even recognize the outfit. Looks cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the person that said this line is fitted for JUNIORS is correct. It was in the Junior section of my Target. So if you are twenty something with alittle curves or you do not have a early-teen body, the sizing is not off - the clothes are not cut for your body or weight class. I can see somebody like Nicole Richie with her small frame and weight fitting very easily into this collection with no sizing issues. Average size 12 to 17 year olds should be able to fit into stuff without having to size up.

i didnt mind the length on the pants at all. i think the pant length inseam is 32 inches.

i'm glad it isnt 34 inches long like stella for h&m's was....

Target Tests Higher Price Point With Luella
By Katherine Bowers

http://www.wwd.com/issue/article/104066

BOSTON — Cheap chic discounter Target keeps pushing the price envelope with apparel that's more chic, less cheap.

The Luella for Target collection, British designer Luella Bartley's mass market debut and the Minneapolis-based retailer's first offering in its Go International limited-edition apparel program, hit stores Wednesday for a 90-day run that will last through April.

Six custom racks with built-in mirrors, papered as if covered in black-and-white airline stickers, held $24.99 tulip-shaped miniskirts, $39.99 jeans with star appliqués and a $149.99 pale blue suede jacket.

The pricing is Target's test of its customers' willingness and ability to spend. For similar items, Luella was priced 50 to 70 percent higher than the retailer's Mossimo brand, which had jeans at $22.99 and swim separates at $12.99. The jackets, available in two colors of suede or distressed black leather, break a new price barrier for Target apparel, which had previously set a high of about $100 for cashmere sweaters and other specialty items.

"It's cute," David Wolfe, creative director of trend forecaster The Doneger Group, said of Bartley's work. "The merchandise can certainly stand alone, which it has to [do] because I doubt anyone who goes in to Target actually knows who Luella Bartley is."

Bartley has had New York runway shows, but receives limited coverage from mainstream fashion glossies and tabloids such as Us Weekly. Limited-edition programs from design stars Karl Lagerfeld and Stella McCartney at H&M have been commercial and public relations home runs.

The Bartley hangtags, featuring a double-decker bus bearing a Target bull's-eye logo, give a summary of her background, describing her as a former fashion editor with a design aesthetic "like Joey Ramone meets Gidget."

Wolfe cited the net handbags, cherry-print clutch and plastic cuffs and chunky necklaces as standouts. Bartley's offering is well rounded, with dresses, swim, jackets and jeans. It's particularly heavy on miniskirts, cropped schoolboy-style jackets and Eighties references that sometimes might be too literal — as in a black-and-white striped shirt with an attached skinny tie to be paired with cigarette suspender pants.

haute femme said:

I had to go up 3 sizes in the pants with suspenders. Juniors sizing or not, I know that I don't wear that large a size. I can fit a large perfectly at Forever 21, and that's probably a size 8 tops. The sizing is way off on the pants...

I checked out the Luella line at Target on Monday...I think my expectations were a little too high, but here was my experience:

- The entire collection is not out yet. I think they are putting out the Luella line gradually, that's why you don't see all of the things you see on the Target website in your local Target store yet. I guess we can expect newer pieces to be coming out in the next few weeks.

-The fit is strange, and not akin to the Mossimo and Xhiliration lines. I definitely don't have a junior fit body, so I had to try some pieces on in larger sizes. I'm normally a size 3/5 in Mossimo jeans, and the Luella pants at size 9 fit me.

-The shirts/blouses: They looked cheap to me. I thought the cherry print button-down was cute on the hanger and on the website, but when I tried it on, it looked garish...it reminded me of a flight attendant's uniform shirt. I thought the light yellow short puff sleeve with front ruffle blouse was really cute, but the fabric was a bit too thin. I'll wait for these on the sale rack.

The dresses: Tried on the green plaid dress. The dress is really cute, but I think it's a bit too young for me. Definitely cute for a skinny teenager and definitely not for the curvy. The skirt was a bit too flouncy, and since I have short legs, the dress made my legs look even shorter. Didn't try any of the skirts.

-The jackets: The blazers are adorable. I tried on the red/white/navy striped one, and it was very cute. Waiting for this one to go on sale. The suede jackets were really cute and loved the scallop detailing on the back, but wasn't too crazy about the color and the suede was quite thin. I have a feeling it would get dirty quite easily.

I bought the leather biker jacket at $150. I think this is the best deal for the entire Luella target collection. The design is simple, classic, and beautiful...like someone said a bit earlier, the picture of the jacket on the target website doesn't do it justice. The leather felt like it was good quality, and had a nice texture. I loved the little heart-shaped Luella zipper tag, which I've seen on her regular bag collection. At first I thought the fit and cut of the jacket was weird. The arm holes were cut a bit too large (felt weird raising my arms up and down), and the back didn't fall down straight and got bunched up. But, I think this is the way the back of any leather biker jacket is supposed to look. Generally, I think the biker jacket looks expensive, like it could have come straight from the Luella rack of Neiman Marcus.

Accessories: The bags were bleh. They didn't look particularly Luella to me...I was expecting a little bit more for this part of the collection since she's known for her bags and accessories. They were regular looking with some crazy prints and bright colors, but didn't particularly look unique. The jewelry was cute, but I found better looking pieces at the jewelry section of target. I am, however, looking forward to trying on the sunglasses, as well as the cherry print ipod case.

yeah there were a lot of interesting things that i wanted to see that werent at my target.

the beige victorian top.
the short bubble skirt
the pink empire waist dress
the cherry tennis skirt
and red or black dress
swimwear

did anyone see these at their targets?

dulcedeleche said:
I had to go up 3 sizes in the pants with suspenders. Juniors sizing or not, I know that I don't wear that large a size. I can fit a large perfectly at Forever 21, and that's probably a size 8 tops. The sizing is way off on the pants...

I totally agree. I had to go up three sizes and even then, the fit was just weird. I don't have a straight, no hips body....but the sizing was just way off. The shirts fit slightly small, but no where near the pants sizing.

In my Target, they had the green plaid dress as well as a black with white polka dot dress in the same style. I hadn't seen that one before....tried it on and it was cute. I felt like I was channeling Sarah Jessica Parker in her Oscar De La Renta cocktail dresses. Very cute. I don't know if I could pull off the plaid, but the polka dots were good. ^_^
I wanted to try on the red dress and the bubble skirt, but my Target didn't have either of those.

Has anyone tried on the bubble skirt? Is it as short as the cheerleader-style skirts? If so, it's a little too short for me.

lucy92 said:
yeah there were a lot of interesting things that i wanted to see that werent at my target.

the beige victorian top.
the short bubble skirt
the pink empire waist dress
the cherry tennis skirt
and red or black dress
swimwear

did anyone see these at their targets?

I live in Northern California, and the only thing I saw out of all of those things was the cherry tennis skirt. It was cute, but a tad short for me.

SFMelissa said:
I totally agree. I had to go up three sizes and even then, the fit was just weird. I don't have a straight, no hips body....but the sizing was just way off. The shirts fit slightly small, but no where near the pants sizing.

In my Target, they had the green plaid dress as well as a black with white polka dot dress in the same style. I hadn't seen that one before....tried it on and it was cute. I felt like I was channeling Sarah Jessica Parker in her Oscar De La Renta cocktail dresses. Very cute. I don't know if I could pull off the plaid, but the polka dots were good. ^_^
I wanted to try on the red dress and the bubble skirt, but my Target didn't have either of those.

Has anyone tried on the bubble skirt? Is it as short as the cheerleader-style skirts? If so, it's a little too short for me.

was the polka dot dress cotton? i think the dresses will sell really well.

Okay, I just received the last of my shipment and I must say I'm rather impressed with the quality for the price anyway. The top and pencil skirt was a bit snug and definitely runs like typical junior sizes in the U.S but I don't think the sizing is that drastically off. They still fit me comfortably in sizes I would normally wear.

I am loving the yellow hobo. It is huge and nicely constructed compared to the skull clutch I got earlier today. The red lining is nice too. I can see it as a great casual day bag that will fit everything.

All in all, I give it a hearty thumps up!!! If I hadn't blown my spending money I might buy a couple of more pieces.

bagsnthings said:
I think the person that said this line is fitted for JUNIORS is correct. It was in the Junior section of my Target. So if you are twenty something with alittle curves or you do not have a early-teen body, the sizing is not off - the clothes are not cut for your body or weight class. I can see somebody like Nicole Richie with her small frame and weight fitting very easily into this collection with no sizing issues. Average size 12 to 17 year olds should be able to fit into stuff without having to size up.

I disagree. I have a very narrow, "junior size" body and still had to size up several sizes in the plaid dress. The line is in the juniors section, yes, but the clothes are cut smaller, more like English sizing. It's not just because of the junior sizes; there is no way so many girls (posters on TFS and friends of mine included) could go up several sizes in a day. It makes sense that the clothes would be cut smaller because there seems to be less "size-deflation" in England (aka vanity sizing), where Luella Bartley lives and works.

Nicole Richie is sooo tiny that I would imagine she would probably stay about the same-- maybe go from a 0 to a 1, maybe a 3.

I can't wait to go out to my Target this weekend and try on some things .. hopefully they'll fit me, since I am pretty damn tiny, and from what others have been saying the sizing runs really small.

If the clothes fit me, then .. wow, that'd be a first. Target clothes never fit me, ever.

SFMelissa said:
In my Target, they had the green plaid dress as well as a black with white polka dot dress in the same style. I hadn't seen that one before....tried it on and it was cute.

Was it the same price? I'm excited, hahah.

clickmekate said:
i signed up for the "passport" thing on the target site, where it said you would get updates and a chance to buy things first, but for some reason i never recieved anything - has anyone else?
now on the luella thing theres access to videos and an exclusive one you can only see if you put in your passport number - which obviously i DONT HAVE!! whats going on??
has anyone got a passport number they can PM me so i can at least see the stuff thats "exclusive"?

finally recieved it in my email and kinda confused..but anyway judging from what you guys have posted..i'm looking forward to going to target this weekend and hope a lot of her pieces are out..let alone anything from her collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDhouglas
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->