The Finland Thread

Asdiklon
I was just in Hungary last week and I must say that the food was VERY cheap (compared to NY anyway).
I mean my mother and I both had dessert with espresso for under a dollar. A 2 course meal (huge portions) in a restaurant for under 7.
Considering I come from NY, that's very cheap.

fashionism: i actually did find denmark expensive. i remember going to mcdonalds and thinking the conversion to canadian dollars make the meal about $8-10 canadian. when here we pay ~$6-7 or less. thats the only straight forward example i can think of. but then again, i believe your min wage is alot more than ours is. as far as what my cousins told me.

my job i make ~$1100/month, and my rent is $550. its a little difficult but things here are cheap as it is, depending where you go.

a mars bar is 60 cents here, :lol:

i found ireland to be expensive, i can only imagine what it must be like in Denmark and Finland

Originally posted by Sugo@Jun 18th, 2004 - 11:03 am
Asdiklon
I was just in Hungary last week and I must say that the food was VERY cheap (compared to NY anyway).
I mean my mother and I both had dessert with espresso for under a dollar. A 2 course meal (huge portions) in a restaurant for under 7.
Considering I come from NY, that's very cheap.
Tell me a place where you can have an espresso with dessert under a dollar! :blink: Id be happy to spend less money on the same quallity espreso... Anyway, I dont know where you went but normally in a cafee just the espresso is about 1 dollar. In case if you want to risk buying it from the automate then it is 50 cents. (not to forget 1dollar is about 200 ft. to make it easier.)

About the meal. Resently I went to not a such expensive restaurant and a big dish costed me 1700 ft which is 8.5 dollars. Dont forget the drinks.

But yes, there are some places where you can eat for totaly cheap money, but why should you eat less tasty food to save money though?

:innocent:

the espresso and deserts we got from a bakery across the street from the synagogue (I dont remember street names right now) and we ate in some restaurant in a basement (looked kinda shady) with gypsy music, but the food was delicious. Plus, the food in the super market was considerably cheaper than here which is how we ate most of our trip.

Originally posted by the_finn+Jun 18th, 2004 - 7:27 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_finn @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 7:27 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Scandinavia sux. I'm moving. :lol:[/b]

Yeah, Me too! :lol:

<!--QuoteBegin-star @ Jun 18th
@ 2004 - 10:30 am
fashionism: i actually did find denmark expensive. i remember going to mcdonalds and thinking the conversion to canadian dollars make the meal about $8-10 canadian. when here we pay ~$6-7 or less. thats the only straight forward example i can think of. but then again, i believe your min wage is alot more than ours is. as far as what my cousins told me.[/quote]

McD is pretty expensive yes. And you're right. It's at least $10 canadian for a meal. :ninja: But I guess you're right about the min wage (don't know the exact amount though) but then again: The taxes are so HIGH!

The world´s most expensive countries are still Norway, Japan and Switzerland.

No kidding! :rolleyes:

Here in Norway we go to Sweden and Denmark and think everything is super cheap! :rolleyes: :innocent:

Originally posted by Caramel@Jun 18th, 2004 - 6:40 pm

Here in Norway we go to Sweden and Denmark and think everything is super cheap! :rolleyes: :innocent:
And when people here in Denmark go to Norway they can't understand why a beer should cost more than $15! :shock: :rolleyes: I know it used to be like that at least. Not sure anymore.

Originally posted by Diesel21@Jun 18th, 2004 - 11:04 am
a mars bar is 60 cents here, :lol:
it's $0.65 here :cry:

just kidding. but all the prices are going up, well they went up in the past couple of years. soda used to be $1.00 now its $1.25~$1.35. candy bars used to be 50 cents now its 65~75 cents. i'm not complaining though. actually, i do want to complain about the metrocard. im still pissed about it being $2.00 now.

:ninja: sorry for everyone else.. (here i was thinking new york was expensive.. :shock: )

Ha! Everything's so cheap in Costa Rica ... no wonder people on their early thirties sell everything and have an early retirement here.

Originally posted by Fashionism+Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:57 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fashionism @ Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:57 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Caramel@Jun 18th, 2004 - 6:40 pm

And when people here in Denmark go to Norway they can't understand why a beer should cost more than $15! :shock: :rolleyes: I know it used to be like that at least. Not sure anymore.[/b][/quote]
Well, $15 for a beer would have to be at a pretty fancy place, even here...But it's not uncommon to have to pay around 8-9 euros for a beer when you're out. At the cheapest student places on the cheapest day of the week (thursdays before 23 p.m.) you could get a beer for 4.20 euros.

Our wages are in proportion to the prices though :wink:

I've heard about people who live in Sweden close to the border, and work in Norway => cheap living and higher wages.

24 Hr Northern Sunlight - Finland

Now in Finland we have 24 hrs. of sunlight. I was at my summer island for the weekend and at 1AM the sky was totally light. The atmosphere was surreal.

Here are some photos of the sky during midnight and the early hours of the day :

summernite4.jpg

summernite5.jpg

summernite3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->