The Finland Thread

Originally posted by Asdiklon+Jun 21st, 2004 - 4:49 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asdiklon @ Jun 21st, 2004 - 4:49 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by the_finn@Jun 21st, 2004 - 11:13 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Asdiklon
@Jun 21st, 2004 - 3:57 pm
Sorry, I dont quite understand, which kind of atmosphere? :huh:

eerie, as in scary or frightening. :P
:blush: thanx... [/b][/quote]
Sorry for not making it clear. My fault.... :(

Hi
So has anyone been to Norway? What is the fashion scene like there? I'm a student of Fashion have been thinking of moving there soon. I'm in Seattle now and there is no fashion scene unless you include Eddie Bauer and REI. The grunge scene is definitly over by the way.

Yay! :woot:
San Jose, Costa Rica (here) Ranked #130 out of the 144 total cities.
We're cheap! :wink:

Originally posted by Sugo@Jun 18th, 2004 - 8:10 pm
the espresso and deserts we got from a bakery across the street from the synagogue (I dont remember street names right now) and we ate in some restaurant in a basement (looked kinda shady) with gypsy music, but the food was delicious. Plus, the food in the super market was considerably cheaper than here which is how we ate most of our trip.
ok, but it doesnt soud real, you see... I meen, where the hell in the world you can get 2 espresso and two deserts fro 200 ft ($1)???!!!! If you count like this then a piece costs 50 ft which is 25 cents :lol: ??!! Man, Im serious, you cant do it here!!!!

Tell me more about the prices here, pls. :huh:

Originally posted by caresser@Jun 22nd, 2004 - 10:42 pm
Hi
So has anyone been to Norway? What is the fashion scene like there? I'm a student of Fashion have been thinking of moving there soon. I'm in Seattle now and there is no fashion scene unless you include Eddie Bauer and REI. The grunge scene is definitly over by the way.
Norway and fashion don't really go together just like Finland and fashion ! :lol:

Finnish Archipelago (Åland, Turku Islands Etc.)

Here are some beautiful photos from the archipelago of Finland :

archip2.jpg

Coast guard

archip3.jpg

The view from our boat

archip4.jpg

A small island with miniature houses and a lighthouse. Notice the table with a bottle of champagne. :D

archip5.jpg

This harbour was where the czar of Russia spent his summers.

archip6.jpg

A full moon in the archipelago as seen from a water-front sauna house.

archip33.jpg

A water-scooter.

archip7.jpg

The harbour of Mariehamn in the Åland islands. The city of Mariehamn was founded in 1861 by Czarina, Maria Alexandrovna.

archip8.jpg

ÅSS (Åländska Segelsällskapet) , sailing club of Åland.

archip9.jpg

archip10.jpg

boats in Mariehamn's harbour

archip11.jpg

same.

archip12.jpg

Pommern. The ship serves as a memory of the superb fleet of sailing ships that had their home in the port of Mariehamn. The cargo ship was commissioned by Wencke & Söhne in 1903. World famous Åland ship-owner, Gustaf Eriksson bought the ship and it sailed under the flag of Finland. His son Edgar & daughter Eva later donated the ship to the town of Mariehamn in 1952.

archip13.jpg

The guest harbour of Mariehamn.

archip14.jpg

The ferry terminal

archip15.jpg

A Finnair plane above Åland

archip16.jpg

The flag of the autonomous region of Finland, Åland & Pommern.

archip17.jpg

archip18.jpg

The ferry terminal of Mariehamn and the flags of the Nordic region.

archip19.jpg

A traditional mid-summer pole. Mid-summer is traditionally celebrated in Finland & Sweden and such poles are part of the tradition as are bon-fires which are lit near the water-front.

archip20.jpg

archip21.jpg

"Wise people eat fish."

archip22.jpg

old & new

archip23.jpg

archip24.jpg

ferries arriving in and leaving Mariehamn.

archip25.jpg

Small sailing boats from Sweden.

archip26.jpg

Traditional colourful houses in Mariehamn

archip27.jpg

"People of the sea." Åland and the islands of western Finland were the Finnish homelands of the Vikings.

archip28.jpg

St. Göran's cathedral as seen from the Northern Esplanade.

archip29.jpg

Register plates of the autonomous region of Åland

archip30.jpg

"In memory of the Ålanders who lost their lives at sea."

archip31.jpg

The national bird of Finland, the swan. The swan is displayed on the Euro coins of Finland.

archip32.jpg

A beautiful sailing boat arrives at Mariehamn's guest harbour.

A bit OT, but the swan is actually also the national bird of Denmark, isn't that a bit strange, no ?

Originally posted by Fashionism@Jul 7th, 2004 - 12:01 pm
A bit OT, but the swan is actually also the national bird of Denmark, isn't that a bit strange, no ?
Dunno ! :lol:

That's cool cause the swan is a beautiful bird but it can be very dangerous as well. Whilst I was photographing this cute creature it started growling at me. :unsure:

Originally posted by étoiledunord+Jul 7th, 2004 - 12:04 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (étoiledunord @ Jul 7th, 2004 - 12:04 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fashionism@Jul 7th, 2004 - 12:01 pm
Dunno ! :lol:

That's cool cause the swan is a beautiful bird but it can be very dangerous as well. Whilst I was photographing this cute creature it started growling at me. :unsure: [/b][/quote]
Dosen't sound nice, though they are very beautiful :unsure: I'm actually afraid of swans. Most birds in general. Lets say all that's bigger than pigeons :lol:

But I actually don't know why the swan is out national bird. Maybe it has something to do with the fairytale of H. C. Andersen ? Don't answer that. I'm overtired :rolleyes:

Your pictures are great BTW, and I love the "Wise people eat fish" one :wink:

Beautiful pictures!! :flower:
I'm part Finnish, and I've always wanted to visit Finland. Maybe sometime soon...I can only hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->