The What to Wear Where? Thread

Organic said:
hey...i just found out last night that i'm going to be going to the mtv video music awards next thursday, and i have NO idea what to wear, and next to no money to work with. and when i stress no cash, i really mean it. i'm not allowed to wear white, prints or logos and it's gotta be pretty flashy.i'm pretty stressed. any ideas?
Well, what do you have to work with? What are you thinking of wearing? Pants, skirt, etc.

Are you NOT allowed to wear white, prints or logo's b/c of MTV or b/c of your personal taste? Curious.

considering the style this summer and what was worn at the Teen Chioice awards I would go with a cute mini dress( retro)... definetly heels...
or maybe some shorts with a flairy top and heels.. go all out man its the vma's.. you dont need much money,, visit your local thrift stoe i know you can find soemthing to pull off..good luck

Diorling said:
Well, what do you have to work with? What are you thinking of wearing? Pants, skirt, etc.

Are you NOT allowed to wear white, prints or logo's b/c of MTV or b/c of your personal taste? Curious.

those are their rules, not mine. i got a long, explicit list of do's and don'ts.

and as much as i love black, i sort of want to stand out for once and not go to my stand by. plus i'm being told i'm going to be standing most of the night, so comfy heels are a must. i'm going to give myself a heart attack finding something.

Okay.......I got a job (starting next week) at a major luxury department store in the cosmetics section.

As far as dress I was told:

dress pants
Blazers (if we choose, but that most people do not wear them as they are constricting while doing makeup)
dress shoes
dress tees????
dress shirts.

I want to look fashionable, and stylish, and of course professional. But not like I work for the IRS or in an office.

I have several dress pants and dress shirts........all pretty boring from when I worked in an office.

I am the only guy in the department.........so I don't have anyone to model my outfits after from there. I asked the manager and HR and they just gave me the guidelines I mentioned above.

I DONT have to wear a full suit or a tie, so that's good.

I'm thinking along the lines of:
Mostly black
thin Vneck sweaters
Black dress shirts and pants
a few cardigans and vests

any other ideas?????

I'm going to a picnic on Saturday with a lot of people I don't know, some I haven't seen for a while, and all who I'll be spending considerable time with over the next few months. I want to look fashion-y, but still relatively my age (which will be 16 by then - happy early birthday to me :wink:). There's a good chance I'll be doing more than sitting still and looking pretty at the picnic, but I by no means need activewear. I have a good amount of different items in my closet, so if you could simply post pictures or describe outfits, I'd try to make it work. Thank you so much!

going to an award show thing in London...invitation says black tie.
What do I wear?? Cocktail dress??

Award show - sounds exciting! According an a few articles I looked at Black Tie is the same as formal. Women wear cocktail, long dresses, or dressy evening separates.

princesse-thanks for the answer! Maybe I get a black cocktail dress...guys have it easy!!!!

one of my good friends has just invited me and my husband to bryant park this sunday for olympus fashion week. i'm very excited as i've never been but i've no idea whatsoever to wear. what would you guys wear? is it so important that i have to wear something of the designer's who i'm going to see?.....oy....i'm a bit lost-since having 2 kids for the past 2 years, my shopping experience has gone from saks and bloomies to marshall's and target :lol: :shock: :doh: :innocent: any ideas would be greatly appreciated :flower:

I almost hate to do this, but could I draw attention again to my dilemma of post #281? It's nothing like a fashion week, but it is tomorrow, and I'm quite at a loss to find an outfit that isn't too dressy.
I had a perfect summer dress to wear, but even that is too dressed up. Any outfits revolving around shorts, perhaps? Thank you. :blush:

*Princesse* said:
I almost hate to do this, but could I draw attention again to my dilemma of post #281? It's nothing like a fashion week, but it is tomorrow, and I'm quite at a loss to find an outfit that isn't too dressy.
I had a perfect summer dress to wear, but even that is too dressed up. Any outfits revolving around shorts, perhaps? Thank you. :blush:

i doubt this would reach you in time, but maybe some slouchy shorts with tie up wedges, and a flowy, top? maybe something floral and printed, thin garden party B)

maximus, lucky for you i have never been to fashion week in my life! as it is for spring, you could wear a casual summer dress with a pair of heels and a smart cropped jacket? or maybe a loose shirt, heels and a pair of belted shorts.. as for the designer thing... i dont think its a coutosey to wear something along the lines of the clothing they make, but it may be best to incorporate aspects of their stuff into what you wear. say if you were going into jil sander who makes a lot of black and white stuff, you would keep your palette fairly monochrome. hope this helps!

budsy88 said:
i doubt this would reach you in time, but maybe some slouchy shorts with tie up wedges, and a flowy, top? maybe something floral and printed, thin garden party B)

I actually didn't read this before I went, but thanks for answering! I ended up wearing the dress, and I got a little flack with everyone else is denim and capris, but it did work. It was actually along the same lines of what you suggested - it was quite flowy and floral, and I would have worn wedges if I hadn't been talked out of it by well meaning people who made me realize I should display at least a little bit of praticality. I like the outfit you suggested, I'm going to wear something along those lines sometime soon.

budsy88 said:

maximus, lucky for you i have never been to fashion week in my life! as it is for spring, you could wear a casual summer dress with a pair of heels and a smart cropped jacket? or maybe a loose shirt, heels and a pair of belted shorts.. as for the designer thing... i dont think its a coutosey to wear something along the lines of the clothing they make, but it may be best to incorporate aspects of their stuff into what you wear. say if you were going into jil sander who makes a lot of black and white stuff, you would keep your palette fairly monochrome. hope this helps!

budsy, thanks for your help^_^:flower:
i've never been to fashion week in my life either-this was my first and really hope it's not my last. it was wonderful. since i had a limited amount of time and the weather turned out to be unseasonably cool, i wore a pair of tuxedo pants with a magenta silk sleeveless tie-back blouse, threw some peep-toe wedges on and brought a cardi-wrap with me. it's the only thing that fit me after having two kids:shock: :lol:

i realise a few people have asked about what to wear to interviews, but they've been of all different types (topshop, saks, etc) - mine is very simple, to be honest. i've got an interview (and assessment) at marks and spencer on thursday. i realise it's nothing high end or anything, but i am only 18 and they pay incredibly well.
basically, i just wanted the advice of you clued up ladies (and gentlemen). should i go for the traditional, given their generally percieved as traditional values, or should i stick with my gut reaction to lean a little more towards stylish?
i would either go with the basic black ensemble, but with a bright purple shirt (if we want total traditional, i'd wear a black pinstripe one, maybe with a bright tshirt underneath as its quite low) OR a navy blue pencil skirt with a blue & white striped short sleeve blouse.
BUT, i'm open to suggestions. i want to make the best impression possible - i have to get this job!!

allmyshoes said:
i realise a few people have asked about what to wear to interviews, but they've been of all different types (topshop, saks, etc) - mine is very simple, to be honest. i've got an interview (and assessment) at marks and spencer on thursday. i realise it's nothing high end or anything, but i am only 18 and they pay incredibly well.
basically, i just wanted the advice of you clued up ladies (and gentlemen). should i go for the traditional, given their generally percieved as traditional values, or should i stick with my gut reaction to lean a little more towards stylish?
i would either go with the basic black ensemble, but with a bright purple shirt (if we want total traditional, i'd wear a black pinstripe one, maybe with a bright tshirt underneath as its quite low) OR a navy blue pencil skirt with a blue & white striped short sleeve blouse.
BUT, i'm open to suggestions. i want to make the best impression possible - i have to get this job!!

I hate going for interviews as my natural style is a little loud when interviews generally lean towards the conservative, except in art related fields or ones where showing your own style is essential.

In this case, I'll defintely want to show a sense of who I am, but yet stay away from bright colours in normal interviews, yet dress enough to be taken seriously. hmmm if that helps a little? I would not go too casual though. Hope you get the job!!!

Those of you going to Teen Vogue U what are you planning on wearing to the events?

Hey,
I was just wondering what I should wear to the Teen Vogue U events? Jeans? Skinny jeans? A dress? I don't know! For those of you that are going, what are you planning on wearing to "classes" and the after party and fashion show? Let me know, okay???:P

Help! What Should I Wear To World Music Awards??

I'll be doing PR work on the red carpet at the World Music Awards, but I have NO idea what I should wear! Dress? Probably not, right? Any suggestions? Visuals would be great too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericsalodesign
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->