Top Ten Favorite Collections Of All Time

Great choice with that Vuitton collection kimair....it was such a cool, chic collection, probably one of Marc's best at LV.

1. Christian Dior S/S 04 Haute Couture. this collection was absolutely genius. That first Tutenkamoon piece took my breath away. This is the collection that affirmed Galliano's brilliance.
100122176.jpg
100122186.jpg

100122192.jpg
100122204.jpg

2. Alexander McQueen S/S 2003 Pret-A-Porter. I saw that rainbow organza dress is some random magazine and I was like :o that's when I found McQueen. After that I visited Style.com and my interest in fashion was sparked.

100084883.jpg
100084843.jpg

100084877.jpg
100084859.jpg

3. Jean Paul Gaultier F/W 03 Haute Couture. WOW. The skin tight catsuits with the veins, the integrated hat. So chic and sexy. Catburglar Couture.

100106003.jpg
100106053.jpg

100106067.jpg
100106025.jpg

4. Christian Dior S/S 04 Pret-A-Porter. The first Dior show I anticipated (and the first I knew of) needless to say I was absolutely enthralled with the collection. The reworking of the suit and those bathing suits, absolutely absurd. Oh and the D'Trick.

100116788.jpg
100116799.jpg

100116825.jpg
100116802.jpg

5. Yves Saint Laurent S/S 02 Haute Couture. Yes, it was basically all of his HC's all over again. But it's YSL condensed, there are so many looks to choose from and each are drenched with style and sophistication. The Le Smoking (right top) is just...perfection.

100056223.jpg
100056446.jpg

100056289.jpg
100056247.jpg

rochas s/s 04
balenciaga 03 / s 05
lanvin 03
narcizo ANY SEASON =)

ever since tom ford left gucci. the collection has been pretty bad, with the exception of the " ciggrette pants ", but i'd give the new lady some time before i cross off gucci on my list

travolta said:
...he'll speak about the appreciation for a certain flower, like a dogwood (in general he is attracted to frilly, quirky flowers that have some defect) how its beauty is powerful and melancholy because it blooms and dies. i suppose i like fashion that is very similar to flowers aesthetically, physically evolving before your eyes, living out it's life cycle practically and metaphorically
:heart:
i can very much relate to that feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
PrinceOfCats said:
Fashion seems to give people short memories...favourite women's collections:

Lanvin SS '92 Haute Couture by Claude Montana

I'm sorry but do you know where to find those pictures? :unsure:
I've been looking for it on the internet and didn't really find the whole collection.. :doh:
If you (or anyone here) do, that'll be much helpfull... :blush:

My top 5 - random order:

-Givenchy HC s/s 1997
-Dior HC s/s 1996
-Gianfranco Ferre RTW s/s 2005
-Chanel HC s/s 2003
-Chloe RTW s/s 2000

Cloak F/W 04

00029.L.JPG

Cloak S/S 06

00040m.jpg

Ann Demeulemeester S/S 06

00230m.jpg

Firstview.com & men.style.com

Raf Simons S/S 02

00029.L.JPG

Dior Homme S/S 02

00035.L.JPG

firstview.com & men.style.com

helmut lang s/s 04

attachment.php

prada s/s 03

attachment.php

balenciaga s/s 02

attachment.php

luella bartley f/w 03

attachment.php

miu miu s/s 2003

attachment.php

firstview.com

great thread idea!

my favourites:

1. balenciaga f/w 2004: the collection that started it all. i was madly in love with the motorcycle jackets with fur, the balloon skirts and the wedge boots. incredible greys and creams.

fw0413al.jpg
fwo428yo.jpg

2. miu miu f/w 2005: i loved the dark mood of this collection. the nets over the hair were so incredible. my favourite miu miu collection to date.

00060m4tw.jpg
00470m6sa.jpg

3. chloe s/s 2006: i loved all the white shapless dresses. especially the oyster pearl dress. it was to die for!

chloe4xz.jpg
00370m2ww.jpg

4. helmut lang f/w 2004: the horse hair! i loved it on the sides of the dresses and on the heels. i didn't like the rest of the collection that much though.

00360f5cw.jpg
00460f6vm.jpg

5. louis vuitton s/s 2005: i loved the leather gloves, the tights, and the heels. the models had their hair so nice. it was such a sweet collection.

ss0510fo.jpg
ss0524gl.jpg

all photos from style.com and balenciaga.com

Reviving the thread....

In no particular order:

1. Alexander McQueen Fall/ Winter 2006
Everyone remembers this collection for the Kate Moss hologram. But for me, the finale just happened to be the icing on top of the most delicious cake ever made. The actual show itself was so emotional, the combination of some of the most stunning clothes ever designed, the gorgeous hats, the moving Michael Nyman soundtrack, the rustic set...everything is just so incredibly perfect.

2. Alexander McQueen Fall/ Winter 2005
I know, I know...it was one of his most commercial collections to date...I get it. But that still doesn't stop me from loving this collection. I love the atmosphere that McQueen created. From the location, the lighting, the music, the casting, the hair and make up, the fantastic update of classic 60's shapes, colors and textiles. I especially love the Hitchcock inspiration and references. And that closing look on Hana....I could die.

3. Yves Saint Laurent Fall/ Winter 2005
I just love this collection so much. I love the stoicism of the collection, the stiffness, the "overworked" silhouettes...I adore the clerical inspiration. And then those incredible Botticelli gowns that closed the show! I also love the simply blue set, the gorgeous music, the breathtaking hair bows, and then....the SHOES! My favorite shoe of all time is the oxblood platform loafers from this collection!

4. Balenciaga Spring/ Summer 2006
Such a modern collection. This was the first Balenciaga show that I was obsessed with. I think the evolution of simple, architectural shapes with a 60's rocker attitude into ornate, worked, baroque silhouettes with tons of detailing work is so stunning. And those navy blue/ black brocade skinny suits are so gorgeous. I saw them in person (along with many of the...magnificent cream baroque looks) when I was in Paris at the Balenciaga exhibit...and they were mesmerizing...I just stared at those suits for a good hour!

5. Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture Fall/ Winter 2007
The ultimate JPG. Stunning tailoring, magnificent male/ female exploration, a heavy dose of wit and humor, exquisite fabrics and embellishing, ethnic referencing in totally modern way...JPG is just the epitome of modern, sophisticated, adult couture. And this is just a collection I obsess over...I can't get enough of it.

6. John Galliano Fall/ Winter 2004
One of the 'funnest' collections of all time. This collection just is so incredibly energetic and has personality bursting at the seams. I love the vagabond/ pack rat/ magpie/ bag lady feeling of the collection. I love the Civil War shapes done in crazy, folk fabrics, the vibrant colors. And the soundtrack is so fantastic, one of Jeremy Healy's best efforts. The hair and make up are also beyond genius.

7. Christian Lacroix Haute Couture Spring/ Summer 2006
The absolute, epitome Lacroix. I just can't say enough about this collection. I love the slightly wilted, antique aesthetic. It was also such a mature, yet entirely youthful collection. It's hard to describe really...I think it's just one of the most gorgeous collections ever.

8. Dior Haute Couture Spring/ Summer 2005
One of John's most forward thinking collections. I mean, a couture leotard? How fantastic is that? John's interpretation of Edie is, in my opinion, is the best ever done. And then that....stunning.....red/ orange/ pink velvet section. I've watched the video of that section hundreds of times. It's just...words like magnificent and stunning cannot even begin to describe it. Those crushed, red velvet coats with embroidery beading and splotches of bleaching worn by models who look like Rembrandt paintings and the live violins playing music from "The Hours"....and then the beautiful white section. That coat on Eugenia is TO DIE FOR. And then one of the closing look...one of the most gorgeous dresses of all time. The detail work on that dress...the bare, frayed threads...I just...it's perfect.

9. Dior Haute Couture Fall/ Winter 2003
Three words. Those flamenco dresses. That opening look...I could stare at it for hours. This is one of the sexiest shows of all time. It's so raw, so energetic, so full of life. The whole show was a celebration and I loved that. Plus, this is some of Pat's, Orlando's, and Jeremy's best work, too. You can just tell they were all so inspired and that level of excitement and creativity is just infectious.

10. Gucci Fall/ Winter 2003
Probably Tom's best collection. It's one of the most sophisticated collections of all time. Those body con dresses, those breathtaking coats, those stunning shoes, the stirring music, the role petal runway and rose petal finale....you don't forget a show like that. And Carmen closing the show in that red gown, the rose petals falling, "Nothing Compares 2 U" playing...and then she does that little turn before she exits....perfection.

1. - Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 07
2. - Gucci F/W 03.04
3. - Prada F/W 02.03
4. - Prada F/W 03.04
5. - Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 06

1-christian dior spring haute couture 1998
0000337201-012.jpg

2- jean paul gaultier fall haute couture 2007
44m.jpg

3- christian dior haute couture fall 2000
0000368172-009.jpg

4- john galliano r-t-w spring 2008
42-19022050.jpg

5-john galliano r-t-w fall 2008
42-18006934.jpg

6-yohji yamamoto r-t-w fall 2008
00300m.jpg

7-yohji yamamoto r-t-w spring 2007
00380m.jpg

8-christian lacroix fall haute couture 2002
100071824.jpg

9-christian lacroix spring haute couture 2007
00220m.jpg

10-comme des garcons rtw spring 2008
00030m.jpg

all images from Style except the first image from Corbis

^^I agree with a lot of those. I really have more than 10 favorites...so it was really, really hard for me to narrow it down to 10.

I would also have to add Marc Jacobs FW 06/ SS 07 to my list.

Paradeyes - great choices.

Lacroix Couture S/S 05

Lacroix Couture F/W 05

Chanel Couture S/S 06

Dior Couture S/S 07

^lacroix spring 2005 was a special one for me too :heart:

^^I agree with a lot of those. I really have more than 10 favorites...so it was really, really hard for me to narrow it down to 10.

me too and actually any collection by john galliano could be my absolute favourite.
i forgot to add : galliano spring 2006. i know many people hated it but i found it to be pure genius ^_^ and the music was perfect for it; "everybody's free".
i loved how john used a puppet of himself at the end :lol:
00020m.jpg
00110m.jpg

style

i'm going to limit my choices to the past five years...

10. dolce and gabbana fall/winter 2002...that rustic elegance matched with the sexiness of dolce and gabbana met with such a frisson that the outcome was nothing but pure gold.

09. jean paul gaultier haute couture fall/winter 1999 ... for one of the first times i understood the modern couture. jpg used the ultimate fabrics to cut something that had the weight of the couture but the sharpness of the coming millenium

08. ysl rive gauche spring/summer 2002 ... i felt that tom ford really hit his stride with the safari collection for rive gauche. he loosened the lines and dropped the hems and made a themed collection that still shined despite the world's tragedy.

07. prada spring/summer 2000...although i must say i was quite lathered up over prada fall/winter 1999. for the first times i saw that miuccia's strange vision of the world could actually translate into utterly chic and luxe garments (the ostrich skirt featured in ads made me gasp).

06. burberry spring/summer 2004... i felt that christopher bailey had even more work at this point in burberry's span than he did when he first started. he had already reacted the ubiquitousness of plaid and tried to run from it...but in his running he discovered something completely modern and sleek in the burberry trench and (with the pawning off of the trench to every other house) made the trench the "it" item for spring.

05. fendi fall/winter 2000 ... simply because i can't remember when it was that i "got" what lagerfeld was doing there...i think it started with the ads i saw for fall/winter 2000 with maggie rizer and the poloroid type of nonchalance. the idea that you'd wear this retooled leather coat to some country retreat. i really bought into that whole idea of casual luxury. and he just amped it up season after season.

04. rochas fall/winter 2003 ... there's something amount the mixing of new talent and an old house. everyone somewhere had an idea of how rochas should look. i still had a rochas fragrance on my perfume stand. and for everyone who picked up a vogue, we knew about theskyiens work. so when they came together it was everything we expected and a whole lot more. rochas tapped into our appetite for absolute elegance and made clothes that women could dream over again.

03. lanvin fall/winter 2003 ... ditto for alber elbaz...it took him longer but he really blew up after this collection.

02. balenciaga spring/summer 2002 ... for me, this represented the magic of mr. ghesquiere. while some of that magic faded with the koos controversy, it still marked a moment for me.

01. gucci fall/winter 2001 ... which i can honestly say i didn't like until i saw it adverstised (those terry richardson photographs!!!) and in stores...i have never been in so much debt.

Totally agree with you. :flower:

These are my favourites IN ORDER

#10 DSquared Fall/Winter 2008/2009

As cheap as these usually are this collection was everything but. It oozed with chicness, but with a hint of badas$. I loved the makeup and the eyebrows and really enjoyed the theme.

dsquared_fall_08_1210527640.jpg

#9 Salvatore Ferragamo Spring/Summer 2007

My favourite from the S/S 07 season. It was so simple but so girly and really fresh. The dresses looked so effortlessly chic and can make any girl look beautiful.

00010f.jpg

#8 Balenciaga F/W 2006

It was the boots that won me over. Nobody had done it before and Im such a sucker for big ankle boots. The simple prints made me squeal in joy and realise how style can come so simply.

00010f.jpg

#7 Versace S/S 2000

Its a combination of the prints and the colours and the cuts and the runway that made my jaw drop. It was such a relief from all the serious fashion, this was so bright and so easy to digest.

100009996.jpg

#6 Versace S/S 2005

Very few spring collections can outdo this one. With its huge range of colours and undeniable femininty it had me drooling over how awesome each piece was.

30.jpg
40.jpg

#5 Balenciaga Fall/Winter 2008

I loved the way that Nicolas Ghesquire explored the darker side of Balenciaga. I was extremely relieved that he hadn't produced another fiasco after his last fall collection. This was a concoction of femme fatale and rigid shapes.

022620081437367378.jpg

#4 Chirstian Dior Couture Spring/Summer 2006

This collection scared the crap out of me and thats exactly why I loved it. Galliano had transformed his models from girls to blood sucking zombies. The religious theme behind it kept me on the edge of my seat.

00010m.jpg
00170m.jpg

#3 Lanvin Fall/Winter 2008

The main feature of this collection that I loved is its mystery. It's as if the whole show had this smokey/foggy aura around it. The models looked like assassins out to get revenge. With its dark makeup and smokey colours the collection is definate favourite.

00080m.jpg
00370m.jpg

#2 Versace Fall/Winter 2005

Nothing has defined ultimate luxury like this collection has. No colour represents luxe like beige does and this collection had it all, from its costy looking fur coats to its super-lush beige boots. Everything oozed with glamour and luxury.

00080m.jpg
00470f.jpg

#1 Versace Fall/Winter 2006

Nothing has made my heart pound faster than this. A full-on combination of graphic and vivid colours made into the darkest and most mysterious fashion ever. The dark navy makeup and the pale lips added to the collection's fierce theme. The colours ranged from dark purple to navy blue to silver and thigh high slit dresses combined with vicious looking ankle boots emphasized the power a woman could have just by using the right fashion. No innocent girls here, just a bunch of badas$es out to rip someone's head off.

747608781.jpg
00490m.jpg

all pics from style.com

I simply have to add Hermes SS 06 to my list.
00230m.jpg

It is, in my opinion, one of, if not the most, effortlessly sophisticated collections of all time. JPG presented such a classic, put together way of dressing absolutely void of trendiness and current obsessions...it was just gorgeous clothes, period. From simple, easy white shirt dresses to the most gorgeous lace gowns, every piece was perfect. I adored the vintage cruise liner appeal of the collection and then that last section of signature Hermes orange dresses...utterly and completely to die for. And the soundtrack to the show is a masterpiece by Frederic Sanchez...it's a work of art on it's own. The sounds of water, old wood docks creaking, lazy, accordion folk music, cicadas buzzing throughout...if you close your eyes and listen to it you can feel the warm, ocean sun, you can feel the sea breeze, you can feel the hot, humid air of the evening...it's incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drue Price
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"