US Harper's Bazaar 140th Anniversary Issue : Jennifer Aniston

I'm the complete opposite; I find the writing in US Vogue near enough unreadable, it bores me to tears, I mean the September issue had a pretty big spread on brooches and how to wear them!? Oh, and don't get me started on Andre's section aswell.
US Harpers is one of my favourite magazines for article content alone, everytime I've picked it up I've read it cover to to cover, and that's one of the very few fashion magazines I can manage to do that for. I even found last months article on Ivanka Trump quite interesting:shock:

I have to say I completely agree with Manuva. The number one reason I didn't renew my subscription to Vogue was because of how boring I found it to be. It's like an encyclopedia. In fact even when they do have the occasional great edit, I always feel like the rest of the issue weighs it down. There's just no fun, except for the index, they take every page so seriously. I did enjoy their Upfront section and occasionally there Nostalgia section as well but the rest was just BORING! They need to come up with a better mix of intelligent articles and fun, lively spreads. I'm usually not a big proponent of dumbing something down but too many "intelligent" articles can really suck the life out someone. Take my psych 101 and Anthropology Text books, expertly written and researched I'm sure but also the most boring things you'll ever read!

I *love* all the eds. The cover is crap, but the issue itself is really wonderful. Every ed absolutely sparkles - though I'd like to see more of Stam & Onopka's faces in the ed since they are known for their fantastic features. US Vogue could really learn a lot from HB. :innocent:

Thank you some much for all your scans Luxx!!! The edits are great and the quality of the scans is excellent! I have just one more request, can you give us a quick review of the issue? Is there any retrospective articles? Thanks in advance!!

Sure thing. I think that overall this is an excellent issue. I haven't finished scanning the editorials but they are all choice material. Very elegant photography, wonderful model selection and interesting themes. I will scan Caroline Trentini's edit next I think - its just gorgeous.

The Designer style swap is awesome as well, sometimes its easy to forget just how much a designer is tied to their overall "look" so its fun to see them switch styles. I love the results - they turned out great.

The A Fashionable Life section is as exotic as ever - Lawrence and Claire-Anne Stroll's estate on Mustique is a sight to behold. The whole thing reminds me of the classic Slim Aarons pictures from the 60s.

There is another Rita Wilson article, I wonder how she started writing to be honest - I thought she was an actress. This one is about bad hair days - meh.

The 140 Best Beauty tips is nice albeit redundant. If you read Allure you probably won't find anything particularly new in this article but its laden with pretty pictures and is a concise beauty assessment.

Truly stunning picture of Cat McNeil opens the beauty section though.

Everything is very focused on Resort - granted this time of year calls for it but I feel like this is truly a resort issue in the way that September is all about fall.

There is also a socialite feature, women whose ancestors were in Bazaar are shot by Douglas Friedman next to pictures of their famous forebearers.

My favorite part is a section where designers re-imagine the Bazaar cover. Lord knows that cover could use an update...

All the retrospective stuff is great. There is also a Best Dressed OF ALL TIME list as well.

I hope thats a decent enough analysis. I'm running on empty at the moment. :doh: so my brain might not be a full power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Luxx for the scans and the review! Looks like a great issue.

Thanks Luxx :heart: I'm disappointed with the Stam+Snejana+Lagerfeld story. It has the ingredients - gorgeous clothes, girls, settings, colors - but it seems to be too photoshopped. Snejana's face is not favoured by that at all. Stam looks more like herself.

thanks for all the scans luxx...
yes, overall it is a strong issue, i was just left wanting more...
i just finished the gq 50th anniversary issue, and it's great...
bazaar has such a strong history, i wish there was more of that reflected in the pages...

the best dressed of all time list had some very interesting choices...
chloe sevigny? jemina khan? i don't think so...

I love the soretti and lagerfeld eds
but I'm not really impressed woth the amber ed

The High Fashion ed is horrible and cliched. The other eds have substance and/or wit, and that one is yawn-worthy. But what else to expect from a combination like Karl Lagerfeld and Snejana :yuk:. Stam, gratefully, breathes some life into it

Thanks for the review Luxx,cant wait for this issue which i will not buy because of Rita Wilsons article :ninja: or their best dressed list,but because of all the great edits. :heart:

The American Idol ed would have more impact with a younger model such as Chanel Iman.

Just got the ish, and scanned their anniversery opening pic.

Attachments

• greatest_hits_sm.jpg
    greatest_hits_sm.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 31
Some of the most classic Bazaar covers from the intro (scanned by me:(

1 & 2: Erte from the 20s.

3: Lauren Bacall 1943

4 & 5: Surrealism.

Attachments

• erte.jpg
    erte.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 12
  • erte_1924.jpg
    erte_1924.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 11
  • bazaar_1943.jpg
    bazaar_1943.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11
  • bazaar_30s.jpg
    bazaar_30s.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 10
Thanks, Luxx! I really like the the covers here. ^_^ It's nice to see what the magazine once was.

The Sorrenti ed is really beautiful and I'm in love with the old covers.I wish we had such creative covers nowdays

Can somebody pleeassseee scan the naomi campbell editorial thankssssssssss

I don't think this has been mentioned, but forgive me if I'm wrong. Du Juan has one shot in an accessories editorial, Denisa Dvorakova has a one page picture ph. by Terry Tsiolis, and Inguna Butane & Valentina Zeliaeva have a few pictures in a Ralph Lauren article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->