US Vogue August 2020 : Simone Biles by Annie Leibovitz

Game Changer
Cast: Simone Biles
Photo: Annie Leivobitz
Fashion: Phyllis Posnick

Game Changer1.jpg Game-Changer2.jpg Game-Changer3.jpg Game-Changer4.jpg Game-Changer5.jpg

Source: Vogue Digital Edition

Reactions: KoV
Head Over Heels (part 1)
Cast: Tanya Reynolds, Augus Imrie, Kesewa Aboah, Primrose Archer, Lily Nova, Lara Mullen, Audrey Marnay, Jeremy O. Harris, Lucas Gillespie, Gwendoline Christie,
Photo: Autumn de Wilde
Fashion: Amanda Harlech
Head-Over-Heels1.jpg Head-Over-Heels2.jpg Head-Over-Heels3.jpg Head-Over-Heels4.jpg Head-Over-Heels5.jpg Head-Over-Heels6.jpg

A New View (part 1)

Photo: Jackie Nickerson
A-New-View1.jpg A-New-View2.jpg A-New-View3.jpg A-New-View4.jpg

Photo: Zoe Gerther
A-New-View5.jpg A-New-View6.jpg A-New-View7.jpg A-New-View8.jpg

A New View (part 2)

Photo: Collier Schorr
Cast: Olivia Galov
A-New-View9.jpg A-New-View10.jpg

Photo: Bibi Borthwick
A-New-View11.jpg A-New-View12.jpg A-New-View13.jpg A-New-View14.jpg

I want to like Head over Heels because I liked Emma and thought Tanya Reynolds looked wonderful as Mrs. Elton but it's a mixed bag. The shot with the huge hat and the one with the pink dress are charming though.

Audrey Marnay deserved being featured more prominently. She's divine.

All the other eds could barely be considered content. They fill pages and that's it.

Thanks for uploading jorgepalomo

Autumn de Wilde, Marc Jacobs called and he wants his Daisy campaign back. Also, the rest of that edit looks like the type of work Leith Clark could do with her eyes closed. And better.

I know it's only August, but wow, they clearly could not have been bothered.

I really like Head Over Heels. The second shot does seem quite derivative of a Daisy campaign but girls in white dresses (with blue satin sashes) in a field with daisies in their hair doesn’t feel like an original concept to begin with, I suppose. Love most of the rest of it, though. It feels fresh and romantic and escapist. Just what I want!

A New View is atrocious. I don’t care for a single shot and it makes the wares look unappealing.

A new low for US Vogue. Although I'm beyond thrilled to see Audrey!! :crush:
It all looks like a bad issue of British Harper's Bazaar.

It all started with the dismissal of Mario Testino Patrick Demarchelier ,Bruce Weber ...... this New formula does not work at all, how much I would like to see the paired model / actor of Peter lindbergh(R.I.P.), the jumping models of Davis Sims, the grey backgrounds of Patrick, the stories and glamour of Mario testino, the Amazing editorial of Steven Klein, the iconic images of Steven meisel and still Tim Walker Craig mcdean Bruce Weber mikeal jansson ... this would be Vogue !!! Of this issue except for the cover and editorial by Annie leibovitz in perfect Vogue style

It all started with the dismissal of Mario Testino Patrick Demarchelier ,Bruce Weber ...... this New formula does not work at all, how much I would like to see the paired model / actor of Peter lindbergh(R.I.P.), the jumping models of Davis Sims, the grey backgrounds of Patrick, the stories and glamour of Mario testino, the Amazing editorial of Steven Klein, the iconic images of Steven meisel and still Tim Walker Craig mcdean Bruce Weber mikeal jansson ... this would be Vogue !!! Of this issue except for the cover and editorial by Annie leibovitz in perfect Vogue style
I'd rather have this new work than the work of sexual predators tbh.

I think it’s better to move forward and not live on the past. Apart from Meisel, I do not really miss the others at US Vogue.

We can’t ask for US Vogue to change with the times, to highlight new talents and at the same time have the same people doing the same thing. If it was me, Annie would be dismissed too.

There are photographers like Jansson, Zoe Ghertner, Jamie H who are great. I think Tyler is a great addition to Vogue.

Testino and Demarchelier were already boring for US Vogue before being dismissed (even if I loved Testino’s Zendaya cover).

This particular issue is mediocre and I understand why they felt the need to have Annie as a star-power but I give a pass because of the lockdown.

Thanks for the discussion above, guys. Very interesting to read and engage with. :flower:

I definitely think that Vogue US must change with the times, and perhaps, they are getting there, however gradually. I also think there's something to be said about branching out and trying different photographers, so as to not enable certain people to amass such power in the fashion industry. Plus, this brings something new to the table. For a long time now, many established names have been producing work that now feels stale.

I really like Autumn de Wilde's photoshoot! It's so playful.

^^ The suburbanisation of Vogue & the celebration of mediocrity is what makes Vogue stale … & soulless :angry:

After the unveiling of such a powerful and commanding cover image with Simone, the content sure is DIRE! There's absolutely zilch from this issue for me to appreciate, unfortunately. Autumn de Wilde's story is the type of editorial I loathe. Guess we always have the next issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->