US Vogue February 2021 : Kamala Harris by Tyler Mitchell

okkkkk... gurl, where the fashion editorials at?

The American designers feature is actually a cute idea and I'm pretty sure it takes them a long time to prepare it, and I love the idea of featuring more obscure American designers and giving them exposure to Vogue readers. But the whole ed lacks the high fashion angle one expect from Vogue.

The whole vibe of this issue feels like a "scrapbook" tbh

i'm tired with diversity, BLM, etc
Just Bring back the Fashion, Glamour

I think this attitude is outrageous.

Fashion/Glamour and diversity are not mutually exclusive. Casting more Black models or models with varying body types doesn’t mean you lose anything by default. Yes, magazines have been largely disappointing lately, but that’s pretty much across the board and it’s incredibly unfair to scapegoat Diversity and BLM.

^ Thank you! I have found it increasingly depressing and worrying to see an undercurrent of prejudice and antiquated social morals seeping through in a lot of comments on this forum in the last year, to be frank.

Fashion, and yes, US Vogue are sh*te at the moment, there's no way around facing that fact, but this has been coming for a long time as many historied institutions in this industry try to extend their lifelines by tapping into youth and chase trends that have no connection with fashion (and little desire to be associated with it) such as social media and the relentless feed of information/news.

Fashion is not sh*te because the powers that be have finally caught up with the 21st century and deemed it acceptable to give permission to black (and Asian etc.) models and creatives to access the same level of success as their white counterparts. That is simply the dumbest line of thinking I can conceive at this time.

Difference as a concept is at the forefront of fashion at the moment, and it may be being pushed too far in some cases, but again, let's not be naive here, it's being mistreated and exploited by people like Anna as a seemingly shiny mask for the lack of effort in the production of magazine issues and ready to wear collections. It's not the root of the issue, but it's very easy to scapegoat something like racial diversity when the unfortunate correlation of these two concepts occurs almost simultaneously.

Listen, Tyler did an awful job on this cover, but he is not representative of every other BAME photographer working in the industry. It was Anna's choice to use him to capture this moment, and she demonstrated that she made the wrong choice here. We don't have a black photographer on the level of Meisel, Klein or McDean, but not one of them has been given a chance to get to that level so far! We have to start somewhere however, and believe it or not, the likes of Mitchell being given 'plum' jobs like this will open the door for others and in time, hopefully (maybe I'm being overly idealistic) allow other, more talented individuals to come to the fore. Which is why I do still support what's slowly happening at the moment, even if I'm not inspired at all.

At the end of the day people from different cultures, backgrounds and ethnicities bring something new to the table and the fashion industry, like the film industry, was going to have to get on board sooner or later. It's a slow start and I think we do just have to persevere and welcome these opportunities in order to level out the playing field. Why should fashion be immune to the same expectations that exist elsewhere within the workforce at large? And why should members of this forum who are part of the BAME community be subject to outdated and corrosive lines of thought in this day and age?

[OK, I rambled a lot there and don't know if I made sense, but hey, rant over! This issue is pure b*llocks, but I like the idea of the main edit giving exposure to brands around America. As many others have said, the execution is just a shocker.]

“It’s not Anna’s fault” — lol ok. So I suppose the social justice movements are the Editor in Chief of US Vogue right now? Did they get paid the same salary as Anna and receive the same benefits as hers?

After seeing Kamala's elevated styling today at the inauguration, I am even further bummed I don't have a more gorgeous and strong cover as a moment in history. Annie should have shot it.

“It’s not Anna’s fault” — lol ok. So I suppose the social justice movements are the Editor in Chief of US Vogue right now? Did they get paid the same salary as Anna and receive the same benefits as hers?
Anna Wintour is adapting to this politically correct, because if you don't include stylists, photographers and black models, she is being blamed as a racist !!! so the fault lies only with people who make controversy about everything, people who don't even buy the magazine!

Anna Wintour is adapting to this politically correct, because if you don't include stylists, photographers and black models, she is being blamed as a racist !!! so the fault lies only with people who make controversy about everything, people who don't even buy the magazine!

There are literally pages on this thread of people blaming the atrocity of the cover on Kamala’s team and Tyler. I happened to be one of them. But the rest of the contents, Anna could’ve easily hired anyone else. Some of the photographers for the editorial about different designers from different states happen to be non-POC. The stylist and photographer for that Sasha Pivovarova editorial, which is also beyond lazy, are white. No one would bat an eye if those editorials were given to say, Ethan James Green. So yes, tell me again how Anna is not at fault, here.

Last edited:
The entire issue is the vogue friends lot but the really cringe gross ones. The cover is trash and I think we covered it enough lmao But I’d love to talk about the editorial with Jordan Daniels and her annoying friend/pet photographer Tyrell who recently was in hot water for publishing a photo book about an iconic safe haven nightlife space in NYC that he had nothing to do with and then was literally taking credit and money away from the Trans community that actually created it. Then told them he doesn’t give a f’ck about them while having Jordan claim the said trans community were bullies and bad people online YIKES. Bad enough yet? ALSO exactly what I mean gross vogue friends. Like that model works never and she’s featured next to someone like Sasha? Then we all know how the cover went and big surprise EJG bestie was the one who did by far the worst job next to Tyler with her set.

Vogues issue is it’s full of old heads who have lost complete control of what’s hot or not. A bunch of random quick hires to a slew of issues coming at them but not actual talent. And then add to it the culture of narcisisism that breeds the egos that these people now have for literal garbage work. The only way it’s going to get better is it needs a complete overhaul. They need to have what Edward did at BV and clean house and start fresh. I would love to see what a proper new life the magazine can have once it sheds itself of all the trash.

This issue is the living proof to not take the mass's opinion in consideration.

It is directionless, useless, pure waste of paper and not an ounce of luxury. The brands featured in Vogue have clothes with prices that very few can enjoy and therefore I don't understand why Vogue cares more about what the ones who can't afford it than the ones who can.

Anyway, US Vogue can stop publishing honestly.

Some general thoughts based on several of the comments in this thread and just alot of the discussion recently. Probably not very eloquent, but...

While I don't like the idea of Vogue or others catering to uninformed reactionary types on twitter, I do think Vogue is more than just a luxury goods catalogue. Consciousness about what's going on in society and the shifting values of the public/consumers is very much something in which Vogue should be engaged. Part of the reason why Vogue has meaning to the public and value to brands is because it has a point of view, and was/is a cultural authority. I mean, decades ago people like Joan Didion were writing for Vogue! Kerry James Marshall painted an original for a Vogue cover just a few months ago! As disappointed as I often am in the fashion content these days, I think highlighting a diversity of talent in the fashion industry, giving a platform to worthy people in the arts and in politics, etc. are great things and the idea that we have to choose either/or is disconcerting. I also resent the idea that people who care about things like diversity can't afford Vogue-friendly brands and that people who can afford them don't care about the types of values and content Vogue is trying to promote. For one thing, many luxury brands stay profitable by selling perfume, cosmetics, and accessories that are affordable to a broad swath of the population. For another thing, luxury consumer is a label that I'd say applies to a rapidly diversifying group of people. So in my opinion it's not only snobby, but also inaccurate to suggest luxury and social justice or more progressive values can't be intertwined.

Nurturing up-and-coming and diverse talent in the fashion industry is a process, and it's going to take time. I personally think Tyler Mitchell has been handed numerous major opportunities and has almost always failed to rise to the occasion. However, I hate how often I see it implied that the failure of some of Tyler's work is tied into the fact he's Black. Correlation doesn't equal causation. Yes, he's getting opportunities he wouldn't normally have been given because the industry is trying to play catch-up after decades of dramatic inequality of opportunity. But just because he isn't delivering doesn't mean there's an issue with the idea of trying to diversify the talent pool. How many awful Terry Richardson shoots did we all endure year after year in various magazines? Yet his race was never part of the conversation, never to blame. I hope Vogue continues to focus on new talent rather than just relying on the tried and true, time-tested talents. I love Annie and I'm glad to see her work in Vogue, but Nadine Ijewere, for example, is a talent I'd love to see Vogue continue to foster as well.

Part of why I think the reaction has been unfair to new and diverse talents being finally given opportunities by Vogue and others recently, is the pandemic. You've got people using lower ad counts as "evidence" that diversity doesn't sell. You've got people comparing shoots that had to take place with dramatically reduced budgets and resources while adhering to Covid guidelines to no-holds-barred shoots from the glory days. People have finally been given an opportunity but saddled with multiple restrictions and setbacks, and then people are going "see?! no talent!"

Back to the issue at hand: The Local News is horrible, but why do the clothes look like they come from the same one collection? I'm not very familiar with American fashion, so my question is if everybody does the same or did Vogue just make a wrong choice?

Maybe Maya Rudolph will get a Vogue cover. Personally I love her - if I have to be a fan of a celebrity - it’s Maya :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->