US Vogue February 2021 : Kamala Harris by Tyler Mitchell

Perhaps this would’ve made more of an impact, and caused more for celebration if Nina Garcia hadn’t beat Anna Wintour to the punch with a Kamala Harris cover three months ago. Very unfortunate.

Gabriella Karefa-Johnson is already on Instagram defending the cover (via art8amby’s Instagram page).

I understand that in the political race Kamala being a woman and a person of colour was used as a stunt, so they have to continue with this approachable image of hers (and Anna was desperate to have her on the cover ASAP), but this clumsy, goofy cover does not do any favors either to the cover subject or the magazine. Couldn't they just bring a good photographer to do an iconic portrait of hers? I can wait to see how the article (it will clearly not be an editorial) will look like. I imagine ''spontaneous'' photos of Kamala and her employees in her office.

I understand not wanting to glam her up in the middle of the pandemic before she has even been sworn in but they could’ve at least given her a sharp suit à la AOC in Vanity Fair. Hope it’s not real.

I've been waiting for this but it can't be the real cover image. Kamala made history which is a big thing even in my country where a woman's only job is to give birth to at least 3 children.
They could've shown a little respect with a good fashion photographer.

A good cover but it's not fashion. I guess it's either Tyler Mitchell or Nadine Ijewere who shot her.

Not that I'm complaining about it, but Vogue USA seems to focus more on political and/or societal issue(s) than fashion which is what their brand should prioritize about.

I'm surprised that people almost seem surprised that American Vogue is too political right now when just a few weeks ago the president of that country complained about his wife not getting a cover. This is a trend that is sweeping across the globe with magazines like Vogue Poland, Czech and India giving their covers to politicians or first ladies, Biden getting prominent coverlines on UK Vogue and GQ. These magazines have been taking stances on social issues which feeds into politics, and in American Vogue's case even went as far as to publicly endorse a candidate. So don't be surprised to see a politician on a cover.
Think of it as diversifying the way Vogue connects to the greater public. They no longer have to rely on just actresses and pop stars, they can now do it with Kamala and AOC etc as well. It is what Vogue and what fashion magazines will have to do if they want to continue enjoying the attention of the greater public.

I don't have a problem seeing politicians on fashion magazine covers personally, but make it Vogue.
Also, I keep seeing this refrain of 'I'm glad they are showing her exactly as she looks and not style or change her into something she's not' and I don't agree with that reasoning at all. If you don't want to be changed, then don't appear on magazine covers! This line of thinking is what leads to the death and mediocrity of fashion styling. Because not only do you have brands who insist on head-to-toe, but also celebrities refusing the stylist an opportunity to show them in a different light.

I love this. This is her. She’s known for her power suits paired with comfortable shoes. Great job. I agree that there could’ve been more fashion, but remember, she’s gonna run for President. This is all but part and parcel of her campaign. She needed to look relatable and approachable.

One thing though, what on earth is that backdrop?

Also, MVP landing the February cover instead of the March cover means that the March cover star is someone bigger? Who else than Dr. Jill Biden right?

Also, MVP landing the February cover instead of the March cover means that the March cover star is someone bigger? Who else than Dr. Jill Biden right?

Meghan? LOL. Remember she was one of King of Versailles' famous 'predictions'....

Oh how can I even forget!!

Meghan and Dr. Jill, if both are happening? Are sure lock ins for March and September

Don’t get your hopes up. March is probably gonna be a set of illustrations again :rofl:

Horrible but seems fake...
Everything looks mediocre...there are italian supplements and cheap magazines that have better photography of her...

Even if they wanted that laid back casual vibe there was a better way of doing it. The colours, composition, expression etc are all wrong and random, i most likely think this is fake unless her team wanted to go with the approachability spin which Anna wasnt that conversant with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->