US Vogue January 2022 : Olivia Wilde by Annie Leibovitz

If you look up “Olivia Wilde” online every headline about her is related to Harry. They’re also quoting what she said about him to Vogue. She was not relevant enough for a cover before.

It's so obvious that she was chosen for the Harry Styles connection. I mean seriously, with all due respect, as an actress she's quite average, and as a director she's quite average too. Booksmart was terrible and was like a poor man's Ladybird by Greta Gerwig in its attempt to convey that adolescent indie humour and quirkiness. It was quite embarrassing really.

If we are talking American female film directors, then why not Sofia Coppola or Maggie Gyllenhaal? Has Sofia Coppola ever even had a Vogue US cover? And Maggie Gyllenhaal has a film coming out later this month: The Lost Daughter which premiered at Venice Film Festival and won Best Screenplay (which she wrote/adapted from the book). She also has a stellar acting career.

Let's be real. Vogue US is all about how famous you are and about how famous the person you date is. Let's not pretend like Anna is championing indie talent or just talent in general for that matter. She is shameless.

Another desert sunset cover? This is like the third one I think. She is looking tired and through, wearing that bra in the middle of nowhere.

Same, I didn't knew that she was dating him. But why on Earth you change a gorgeous man like Jason Sudeikis with Harry Styles???! It breaks my heart this separation. In another note, I love this cover and editorial. This must be the most realistic work of Annie in so long. It doesn't look that this was made by her. I would to se her doing more of this kind of work. It's more Mikael Jansson than her, but I love it.

This looks like C Magazine... how embarrassing for Vogue.

Agree completely with the rest of you, she's landed this because of Harry and no other reason... doubly embarrassing.

wooo, imagine u finally land on the cover of Vogue and this is how you look like.... with the eye bag, smile lines and hang over face expression

this is the Vogue I want, a beautiful cover, maybe I don't particularly like Gabriella's style, Annie leibovitz is perfect together with Grace Coddington, they would have done an even better job ... now we have to wait what's inside with the editorials (certainly disappointing) ... it would be nice to have David sims, Craig Mcdean mert Marcus and Steven Klein back, but by now I have lost all hope !!!!

I'm a little surprised that everyone is so shocked by her appearing on the cover - it was downright predictable! The past January issues specifically have had women like Greta Gerwig, Frances McDormand, and Stella McCartney on the cover - certainly successful and famous women, but not exactly typical cover-girls. In fact the past year or so has seen a poet, 3 plus sized models, a vice president, a trans model, 4 or 5 women over 50, etc. all appear on the cover of American Vogue. I know it's a brave new world, but is an acclaimed and beautiful white 30-something Hollywood actress/director nabbing a cover such a shock?

Olivia has been typical cover-girl material for years. I'm sure she's been on Elle, In Style (she was one of their "Badass Women" covers recently), Harpers Bazaar, Allure, Glamour, all the usual suspects, but despite starring on a hit TV show, writing and directing a hit film, being in multiple major Hollywood movies (and working with people like Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, etc. in the process), and amassing a good sized fan base (she has millions of followers on Instagram, for example), Anna never gave her a cover. Now she has one, so the cynic in me might say Harry's the reason, but I don't think it's that cut and dried. She met Harry *because* she was doing so well that she was able to cast him along with a slew of other in-demand stars in the new film she wrote and directed. She's starring in a new Oscar-buzz type movie from the director of La La Land with Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie out in 2022, she's attached to direct a new Marvel film. Her career is on fire. Ironically, the Harry Styles fanbase really hates her (typical toxic stan behavior) so while Vogue may be capitalizing on the press she'll get because of her dating life (there's already stories about her all over today, all linking back to Vogue) I don't think they're relying on Harry's fan base to buy this issue. She brought her a-game to the shoot, and she has an enviable career that only seems to be gaining steam.

Last edited:
I love it! I only like a US cover once in a decade, and this is the one!
And come on, of course she got the cover because she's dating Harry Styles but it does not mean she is undeserving.
Plus her looks alone are cover worthy, back in the "House" day i was convinced she must have been a model.

It does not matter that people that will actually buy the magazine do not know who Harry Styles is, it will give the magazine hype, even if it's just to snigger.

Olivia looks beautiful, I just wish they would've put more effort in her outfit.

more obscure things give it a nice depth, like that reddish line on her side/belly - probably from one of the outfits.

This. This is what won me over. Not the actual thing, but @dontbeadrag saying it.

It's hard to explain. To put it in the lore's immortal words, at first I was afraid, I was terrified. As soon as I saw it, the cover took me back to my Daria-centric era, when I thought that bed hair was supposed to be understood literally. I'm older now. As for wiser, the jury is still out. Be as it may, that's the first impression Olivia had on me: too natural, too literally. For the record, I love her casual street style. But this is Vogue. It's another conversation entirely.

That said, after reading and re-reading the positive reviews that many of you guys have shared, I'm in. It's January. It's Olivia. It's unexpected Leibovitz. And to be honest, I'm tired of my own Wintour-of-our-discontent BS. What the hell. I love it.

Gorgeous cover! Always here for new and unexpected subjects on the cover of American Vogue from time to time and the overall cover is just too nice not to appreciate. The colours are sublime, love the minimal styling and thoroughly appreciate the subtle shade of purple used for the masthead.

Fresh, stunning, powerful, sexy. January covers are often my favorite and this cover is no exception. The color of the masthead is beautiful and seems new. The styling is impeccable. This is a winner!

The cover is bland but the editorial is fine. Can't believe it than Wintour choosed Wilde as the cover girl because she's dating with Harry Styles, sounds like a propaganda marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->