Valentino F/W 08.09 Paris

the girls walking the 8 on the runway symbolizing infinity of the brand?

jsut a random 2 am. thought

In a way I feel like she's got this catch 22 situation on her back. If she sticks to the archives, she's just trying to be Valentino and not dong anything new. If she tries to infuse newness into it, she's not being true to the house. It's not an enviable situation to be in. That said, I'm extremely excited for her. She was just starting to grow on me at Gucci before she was ousted.

Oh certainly... it's very difficult for a designer to start designing for a house when the namesake has just left. Designers like Nicholas Ghesquiere at Balenciaga, Albert Elbaz at Lanvin, and Olivier Theyskens at Rochas have/had it very easy, because in all honesty, those labels had been dead for years and there was really no way a designer could move in without at the very least 'updating' the look. Valentino had the same thing going for the last few seasons, so any change (which was inevitable, of course), was going to seem like a drastic one.

It is certainly not an ugly collection in the least bit (it was very cohesive, always a plus), but it just didn't impress me; same with Halston this season.

This is really beautiful, if boring. That beige ruffled blouse on Olga is just gorgeous and so luxurious. I think the evening wear is a snooze, which is sad because what is Valentino without some drop-dead gorgeous gowns?

Oh certainly... it's very difficult for a designer to start designing for a house when the namesake has just left. Designers like Nicholas Ghesquiere at Balenciaga, Albert Elbaz at Lanvin, and Olivier Theyskens at Rochas have/had it very easy, because in all honesty, those labels had been dead for years and there was really no way a designer could move in without at the very least 'updating' the look. Valentino had the same thing going for the last few seasons, so any change (which was inevitable, of course), was going to seem like a drastic one.
You're absolutely right.

I mean, the fact that she didn't completely fail is huge in itself. Pressure like that she was under is scary to imagine.

I think the real test of her skill at re-envisioning Valentino will be in the couture department, and definitely in the 2009 collections. She's one to watch.

Surprisingly, I think she did very well and I really like this!!
Yeah it's a little different but what did you expect??

No.

The palette is wayyy off and that should be a bad sign already. Valentino is sophisticated and bold. This looks like a wilting flower.

I love this! The collection isn't all the impressive, although it's not bad for a first collection, but at least the fashion world doesn't have to suffer more of Valentino's uninspired collections he's been putting out for the past so many seasons. Also, I feel like these pieces would actually be able to transition into the real world without looking like they're made of paper^_^

I also see the YSL reference, but IMO this collection looks almost New York (a la Phillip Lim anyone?)

IDK, she is definately no Valentino. No one did glamorous, feminine and classic like Valentino. He dressed women who wanted and needed to be noticed and had a great appreciation for the women body. Afterall, the guy could dress Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman and Cameron Diaz and make them all look equally stunning. I think it was all the ruffles, bows and lace that made his clothes that more feminine but never took away from a women natural beauty. With that said I enjoyed her collection. I was a bit more edgier than classic Valentino and it looks more suited for NY fashion week than Paris but a great first collection nonetheless.

Don't you gusy feel like this Valentino collection could be worn who, say, knows how to make casual friday seem more sexy and elegant. She can be girly but there's toughness too. She can make decisions and seems to be better at conversations. It's probably because it's a winter collection.

Although it's not stylistically breaking through boundaries i.e. Tisci there's a few things. Open stomach? Done tastefully. Frilly lace: catching up to the modern trends. Coats: Very 60's Valentino.

She does need to work on the reds and stat.

I resereve all of my judgments about Alessandra Facchinetti until I see a few more collections from her. You can tell that she is going for a younger more relaxed aesthetic. Her tailoring is light and girlish and the colors are playful. The collection is not ugly by any means and just like any other succesor to an iconic house such as Valentino Facchinetti must get into the set into the design DNA of the house her own style. I didn't expect iconic right out of the gate and I am hoping no one did. What I did want was a fresh way to look at the Valentino woman; and I believe she is on the right trck to achieving that.

I resereve all of my judgments about Alessandra Facchinetti until I see a few more collections from her. You can tell that she is going for a younger more relaxed aesthetic. Her tailoring is light and girlish and the colors are playful. The collection is not ugly by any means and just like any other succesor to an iconic house such as Valentino Facchinetti must get into the set into the design DNA of the house her own style. I didn't expect iconic right out of the gate and I am hoping no one did. What I did want was a fresh way to look at the Valentino woman; and I believe she is on the right trck to achieving that.
Agreed. I guess we should cut her some slack and wait a few seasons because this collection is very lovely, even if it is not what we're accustomed to see. Because after, all Valentino is no longer at the helm so we should expect something slightly new. :flower:

I am pround of Alessandra! It's very hard to take place of someone like Valentino, and she did it very well and I am glad she is making the house move into a different direction!
I think too that she made very good job. For example coat and dress combination is really nice #80 :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clubmissy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->