Valentino Haute Couture F/W 10.11 Paris

What happened? This doesn't look elegant or anything. It's not tacky but it's also not what Valentino is supposed to be. Not even what HAUTE COUTURE is supposed to be. Regardless of what anyone could say, this season's couture collections ARE NOT what HC is supposed to be at all.

I dislike the styling - that hair comes straight from the head of a schoolgirl who can't be bothered about personal grooming because she's studying for her exams.

First, I thought wow this is going to be gorgeous and very elegant then it all comes out and my hype gets lower and lower. Though I see lots of Valentino archive here but gosh, can the two stop "ruffle" every thing and make simply perfect couture detailing. I mean if they want to use weird shapes, Alessandra has done that before and, damn it, it's way better than this. As this collection is created after FW 2010 collection, there are always thoughts that pop up in my mind wondering whether they have been studying the looks of Miu Miu or Valli or even Stella McCartney or not. In my opinion, this is a step-up from them but not a good collection as a whole. I would love to know what would the "ladies" whom Valentino always wants to dress elegantly and beautifully will think about this show. I bet those minis cost almost the same as gorgeous gowns of EL or a piece of Chanel.

I really liked all the models that walked! It looks like Valentino stayed with neutrals and soft colors for HC, except for the gorgeous red dresses Hanne, Frida, and Anabela wore. Pretty much i liked this collection, very feminine.

Gasp, that black dress and the same dress in white with the small stiff bows are both shockingly Valli.

This is literally the same length, same silhouette throughout. There's no inspiration apart from Giambattista Valli past and present with the empire waistlines matched with full skirts, the natural waistline triangle skirts plus countless other blatant references.
And then, they mock Facchinetti with the dresses and that minimal two-piece in that almost-white pink.

Can we please look at that red number. It is basically a tube of fabric with some slashed-and-spread frill attached. Please compare it to this from Facchinetti's couture, or better yet, compare it to this, from one of Facchinetti's ready-to-wear collections (which, I hasten to add, was also matched with ruby slippers).

It may be two years since Facchinetti left but I still refuse to accept that it can be seen as fair that her talent got disposed of in favour of this parody of haute couture.

Edit: Please don't tell me they also showed in the same place Alessandra did..?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, seeing the HQ's I have to say I'm not impressed.. I only like about 5 pieces, otherwise I think they're very repetetive and loaded full with tacky bows and weird, unflattering shapes.

And how are you supposed to do ANYTHING with that bubble dress? :D

It just goes to show how important the setting is for a fashion show is. The pieces looked 1000x better backstage when the girls were just standing around casually. On the runway they looked terrible. For Haute Couture, the runway sure is boring.
But the pieces themselves make up the best Couture collection these guys have come up with so far. After last Couture's abomination, this is great.
I like the cage dress and cage "egg" thing lol.
It looks too young though :(

It's certainly pretty BLAH and weak for Valentino. Though I think there is a little improvement from their first collections. Thay seem to try to have a closer approach to the DNA of the house and Mr.Garavani heritage. Yet their obsession to give a younger appeal to the label destroys all their efforts. I'm already bored and overdored of their little dresses . And don't let me start on that Cage-thing. It's like the representation of the "real" valentino girl who has been Kidnapped by those two.

people need to stop paying attention to the runway shows & look at the clothes- this collection is very true to the valentino heritage. the collection is very closely influenced by valentino's white collection from 1968- amazing, amazing, amazing work. i am exceptionally pleased. you guys bash the valentino label for creating something progressive & modern but then express dissatisfaction when something classic is presented. they cant win for losing. im amazed by this.

^ I so agree!! After last fall's collection I completely changed my mind about them, because they appeared to actually have a set direction for the brand, or at least its RTW. I'm beginning to cheer for them now. I think they're doing a good job.

I am touched that so many seem concerned that the Barbara Walters set have been abandoned by their go-to atelier. I am mixed on the collection. I actually like the styling and I also liked the shoes. I actually liked the cage dresses, I am not expecting to see them on the street or even the red carpet, but it worked for me as runway schtick. Although I can see definitely see them as stage attire.

I am not a fan of hem ruffles and peplums, so with a lot of looks I would be scrolling down the HQ picture going, "Yes, yes... noooo!" Ruffles just don't look refined to me, they scream 1970s home-sewn bridesmaid dress (not even from Vogue Patterns, it's Simplicity all the way baby!) and the sheer overlay on the tops certainly isn't helping things.

Hmmm, I am really torn here, some of the outfits have nice elements and perhaps the not so nice elements will be edited out between the runway and the street. Also, I can't rule out that the elements I don't like are more about my personal preferences than them being flat out wrong... although please don't let me be wrong about my hem ruffle / peplum hate.

Ironically, I feel like their appeals to youth just kind of come off... dowdy. Sheer granny ruffles are still granny ruffles. The more constructed/corseted looks are certainly visually appealing, but overall I really don't know how I'm supposed to be looking at this.

I can appreciate that it's a hit-and-miss process for the team to find their way forward, and I have plenty of patience for them. At the moment, in terms of their direction, I get the feeling that they're trying to use girlishness as the antidote to the Valentino association with 'old age', but for me, it's on a superficial level - they've lurched towards it in a simplistic way, instead of carefully integrating it with a masterful touch. This, for me, is a Valentino collection that has the rough elements of old and new, but not in expert proportion to each other. But it could all come into focus at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ00
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->