Virginie Viard - Designer, Creative Director of Chanel

Haider (who i have a soft spot for) is the one Karl wanted as a successor. however, in this day and time, i doubt he wants the responsibility, and i seriously doubt his aesthetics will appeal to the bland, style-bankrupt, tastelessness of the current generation of chanel customer. i just won't work. he's an intimate designer and he is not a personality, so it would be hard to build a "cult" around him in the same vein as Karl or even Chanel's problematic self.

i never like Hedi, never will, him at chanel would be a terminal nightmare and ii just rather not entertain the thought.

Jeremy... yes. i like the idea of him at chanel. it could actually really work concomitantly well and the thought of him there excites me. he will provide chanel a much needed iv therapy of energy and vivre that's been sorely missed. now that the clouds are gone, let the sun shine in with Jeremy.

Marino's agency has more than 400 employees and they work exclusively for Chanel, Dior, LV, Tiffanys and a few others. Meaning they have at least 40 people working full-time for Chanel stores.
That's an entire department that can't be changed by a CD overnight.
And it’s facts like that that makes me wonder the necessity of having Slimane coming to such a well oiled machine.
There are rumors that the CEO wants to eliminate the separation between all the operations but even for a control freak like Hedi, it doesn’t seems like an ideal position.

I feel like Chanel is the dream job for a lot of designers but when it comes to Hedi in that equation, it seems more about branding than design.

I still don’t get the fuzz about him for Chanel, really.

Mouais…
When Lagerfeld was in charge, he decided everything regarding fashion. But the aura of his work trickled down to all the departments. And the aura only grew bigger when Jacques Helleu died…

But maybe indeed Hedi will thanks to his vision for fashion, will lead everything else. The statement mentioned « organization » indeed.

Lucia Pica left Chanel and was replaced by 3 women. So maybe Hedi will come with Aaron De Mey, who will become the director for Make-Up. Olivier Polge will stay for the perfumes but already with Hedi and him, they will infuse that kind of linear communication probably needed for Chanel.

My Chanel S.A. confirmed to me that Slimane is indeed leaving (She got the info from Celine’s store manager). Everybody is waiting so hard for the info now lol.

The perspective of Hedi taking over Chanel makes me sad….

I don’t know if the people at Rue Cambon are ready for Hurricane Slimane (if he goes). Peter Marino will be unemployed? Ahaha
Peter Marino has so many clients and Dior and LV will keep him busy as well :-) but i like his way of doing stores art and textile disneyland for the rich :-) but looking forward to Hedi as well doing chanel if it's True ......somehow i feel Chanel will give us a curveball and do a multi team thing like the 3 ladies doing beauty as you mentioned only to resort few seasons or years later to get one CD to oversee the fashion again lol.

Chanel is the same cut and clothes adapted with a sauce for the seasonal twist, its has roots in realty of dressing yes KL made it more fantasy (open up the brand to many adaptations ) and Virgins brought some reality back into the clothes, Hedi would sharpen the vision and ad youthful edge to it, it's more about chapters than revolution with Chanel i feel.

Last edited:
I am taking the gossip I heard with a grain of salt, but apparently she abruptly decided to leave without telling anyone beforehand from what I was told so maybe they DON'T have a plan in place after all ! DRAMA.
I like that for her. She didnt seem so proud to be chanels cd any way. Maybe shes someone who needs to work off of someones energy.

I do like the existing Chanel boutiques. It is very different than LV and Dior. I like that they arr not trying to reinvent the wheels or be edgy. The thought of Hedi-designed flagship boutique is already a nightmare in the making. Bright fluorescent, tacky white marble, cold polished racks and endless selection of jeans. Nonnnnnn

I like that for her. She didn't seem so proud to be chanels cd any way. Maybe she's someone who needs to work off of someones energy.
She was humble as a CD and prefered to be in the shadows yes and very no nonsense person no drama as she mentioned in the studio she likes things to run with calm and ease with and after KL and see she still made this move forward and making profit at Chanel, like the style or not agree some of it was not the best.

People with pride are everywhere and more people should take humble pie´s for the their output in there work being less than enough.

On a side note i don't understand so much the hate for the few women in top CS positions doing real clothes and sell well there is a big discrepancy with consumers of fashion as a sport or fan and actual buyers.

Yes Dior now is not like John´s crazy shows years but Christian Dior his original clothes are more close to what MGC is doing than John and its the Ralph Lauren of Princes Chic yes but why not get upset with all the woman buying it that dont even care to post or comment on social media about fashion or don't even know who Maria is lol

In the real sense of fashion Luxury as a brand you don't listen to the mass, you anticipate what they will like in the near future.
Its a balance for sure , its something KL was mentioning often he does not do or work with marketing people.

I think the only moments brands in general should listen to the mass is when they f.... up with quality and safety and racism and culture stuff and environmental issues everything else regarding the creation /creativity it should be: you get or like or love it or you don't shop at the brand and keep it moving.

There are so many bad bad male designers out there they don't get as much universal hate as the few that are not gay fantasy friendly female designers like Phoebe.
PPP is as boring as MGC yes only because he ad some dramatic gay flair on the same ideas its ok ?

huh?

Jeremy Scott was literally a joke name for decades and he showed up every day at Moschino and earned a name for himself. He took all that heavy brutal criticism and became better. Everyone agrees now he earned his place in fashion. Julien MacDonalds name is still in the dirt and its been 2 decades.

I agree that Jeremy Scott would be the best choice,, mainly because of his capacity to reinvent himself and experiment with brand iconography.

I wouldn't be mad at Hedi being appointed, but it's just too narrow and rigid of an aesthetic for a brand like Chanel. I can't imagine 5 to 10 years of swinging Kleig lights all over the Grand Palais. rock music on loop, waifs with unwashed hair, everything shot in B&W. The brand fatigue would comes very quickly.

I agree that Jeremy Scott would be the best choice,, mainly because of his capacity to reinvent himself and experiment with brand iconography.

I wouldn't be mad at Hedi being appointed, but it's just too narrow and rigid of an aesthetic for a brand like Chanel. I can't imagine 5 to 10 years of swinging Kleig lights all over the Grand Palais. rock music on loop, waifs with unwashed hair, everything shot in B&W. The brand fatigue would comes very quickly.
as if he would have lasted more than 5 yrs

I am taking the gossip I heard with a grain of salt, but apparently she abruptly decided to leave without telling anyone beforehand from what I was told so maybe they DON'T have a plan in place after all ! DRAMA.
With a grain of salt too; there were a lot of internal comments about her Marseille cruise and the decision to re-show it in Hong-Kong was an after-thought by the execs, because of the poor reception of the OG show... The decision was nearly imposed to her and there was some drama.
That would have been her tipping point.

I feel like people who wants Jeremy Scott somehow wants to recapture the nostalgia of Chanel in the early 90’s. Do we need to relive a pastiche of Karl’s past styled again by Carlyne?
For me he is out of the equation…

I think we really need to ask ourselves what we want Chanel to be: is it just refreshed Karl 2.0 tenure, new approach in line with original codes or a modern idea of 2024’s Chanel - what would she make today had she lived ? I’m not a fan of throwing names for the sake of it and I’m the first to hope for a new opening with a new talent rather than dusting off skilled designers but with no flair or understanding the current needs. And frankly I’m sick of hearing non stop Heidi Heidi Heidi as if he was a messiah who will save the Chanel - quite frankly his aesthetics is partly in line with Chanel and he is more of a creative manager than actual designer, he is repeating probably 10 elements of wardrobe in different configurations every season and at every fashion house…

I honestly would like that full 90s ... I am not against joyful fashion.
I agree. Fashion is lacking joy and exuberance ! I am 37, but I remember watching the fashion shows in the 90s as a kid and remembering the buzz, luxury, glamour, and FUN of it all. That's the feeling I want. Daniel Roseberry, who I have no problem with at all, thinks he is doing that, but there's no actual fun and wit to it.

ok John Galliano just cleared his ins, I mean I can't think of anyone more qualified than him for this role, except the scandal, but come on! It was just a mistake many years ago and it's not like that Karl was so innocent, he had many careless speeches himself as well. Let the ultimate dream come true!!!:lol:
Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 10.03.01 PM.png

She was humble as a CD and prefered to be in the shadows yes and very no nonsense person no drama as she mentioned in the studio she likes things to run with calm and ease with and after KL and see she still made this move forward and making profit at Chanel, like the style or not agree some of it was not the best.

People with pride are everywhere and more people should take humble pie´s for the their output in there work being less than enough.

On a side note i don't understand so much the hate for the few women in top CS positions doing real clothes and sell well there is a big discrepancy with consumers of fashion as a sport or fan and actual buyers.

Yes Dior now is not like John´s crazy shows years but Christian Dior his original clothes are more close to what MGC is doing than John and its the Ralph Lauren of Princes Chic yes but why not get upset with all the woman buying it that dont even care to post or comment on social media about fashion or don't even know who Maria is lol

In the real sense of fashion Luxury as a brand you don't listen to the mass, you anticipate what they will like in the near future.
Its a balance for sure , its something KL was mentioning often he does not do or work with marketing people.

I think the only moments brands in general should listen to the mass is when they f.... up with quality and safety and racism and culture stuff and environmental issues everything else regarding the creation /creativity it should be: you get or like or love it or you don't shop at the brand and keep it moving.

There are so many bad bad male designers out there they don't get as much universal hate as the few that are not gay fantasy friendly female designers like Phoebe.
PPP is as boring as MGC yes only because he ad some dramatic gay flair on the same ideas its ok ?
110 % agree with you, these women are getting to much hate! I not a big fan but come on , and not to mention these awful ig pages and the comments. If these people and there voices start to control the designers then you will lose focus and will end up having a collection for H&m. Some of these ig fashion critics say the worst things without a real understanding for the rich and what women actually what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->