Vogue Italia April 2009 : Eliza Cummings by Steven Meisel

The clothes, the tattered,worn effect, and the caption makes it look like this is going to be a commentary on the current economic crisis.

It doesn't look like her AT ALL !

and its a very good thing, what a relief :D

The concept of the cover is good but not that goood I'm not impressed but its an good cover I can't wait for the contents !

The preview looks interesting, i dont know much about that model though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cover is amazing though. I love vintage :smile:

I actually like this! I don't know a thing about Eliza, but whatever Meisel did, it made a good cover.

Great styling, editing, and layout. Eliza looks gorgeous, but I can't say she's evoking much...

That cover is fantastic, kudos to Meisel... Eliza actually looks like a model here. Photoshop was put to great use for once!

This cover is so alluring, I'm in love.
I think I might actually buy my first Vogue Italia for the year!
I love Middle Eastern refrences in the styling, capturing the "Survival Mode" theme.
And that worn and torn effect is very cool considering the magazines theme is supposed to be sort of a Survival Guide,
which are usually used and used until it's worn to bits!
And the colors are simply beautiful, It has such a warm, comforting undertone. I'm in love!^_^
Oh and Eliza does not look like herself, making the cover even better:lol:

I am so glad I never hated Eliza- it makes the beauty of this so much easier to swallow
This is just really, really smart. ""Survival Mode"? How appropriate right now...
The effects are so intriguing and the colorsd are beautifully warm. I wonder if the editorial will look more Middle Eastern or bag lady-esque

i like the cover, and its because it does not look like eliza.

The cover is good, even though her expression is a little blah. Actually it's quite calm and she's not pretending to be agressive. It's a side of Eliza that I didn't know and which I'm liking now. The graphic part is excelent.

And by the previews... The main ed seems a bit Roversi... Maybe it's the blur...

I don't mind Eliza at all. I liked her in W and i-D and she looked good in VI before. But I don't like this cover at all. Hate the colours and the grading effect, the creases etc look so, so and I don't like how Eliza looks on this cover. I can honestly say that this is the firs time ever that I don't even remotely like a VI cover.

Nice to see Portia though. I liked her when she had a minor breakthrough in 2004 so it's nice to see her do high profile stuff again after 5 years.

When I read it was Eliza my first reaction was OMG NOOO!
But Iam impressed on how good this cover is. Meisel is a genius for making her look this great.

really nice cover. very 'old school' vogue italia, as someone said here.

It would of looked 10 times better without that annoying crease.

Well, I don't like it because it's not colorful and Spring is colorful. I'm totally sick of boring covers!! I'm thinking I won't notice when the mags start to use the Fall collections because this look very Fall and not fun and Springy. I want to see fun and colorful for a SPRING cover! I like the tattered effect though. :innocent: The contents don't sound like they are going to be good but I have never heard of any of those models besides Eliza. I also wonder what Vogue Italia would be like without Steven Meisel. It might be a good change...

The more I know about Meisel's work, the less of a fan I become. But still, Meisel is Vogue Italia.

It looks good because Eliza is not channelling her persona and is actually modelling. I can't help but think that somebody else could've made the cover look better but who knows?

And I dunno, after all the Brit kids overload the past couple of months, I think Eliza's presence here is a bit dated (these kids are all so 2 months ago!). She definitely shows here that she has the chops to rise above her persona, but I am not too convinced of that yet, well at least not with just this one work.

i hardly buy vogue italia and this isn't going to change it
but Cummings does looks better than usual...

She doesn't look like herself that's for sure. That's why the cover actually looks good.

^I totally agree with you.

If I had not heard that she was going to be on the cover, I would not have known that it was her.

I like this cover it is very *interesting*!^_^

I won't deny that I find this really beautiful and much more interesting than any of the 2008 covers.
It has an air of Steve McCurry's photo of the Afghan girl for National Geographic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->