Vogue Italia December 2018 : Shalom Harlow by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

I hate to pull that card but the cover story would have been wonderful by Meisel.
The very theatrical styling doesn’t work here with I&V.
Gave them wind, a lot of hair, natural makeup and simple clothes and now, we are taking!

I HATE the current obsession with 90s models, but my God, those b&w shots of Shalom is dripping in 20s/early 30s glamour. Why not give us more of that charming attitude instead of this Vogue Thailand playing at VP cover? Shalom is just so perfect for it and I doubt a contemporary model other than Karlie or Mathilde Brandi, who has the wit and personality to carry such a story, would have succeeded. Don't like the ones in colour. It's almost a different story entirely. At least the vintage hair suits the story unlike last month with Freja.

The rest of the previews look great and well-balanced, which is something new for them. For so many years VI functioned on an imposing cover and edit, and a series of Klein/Aldrige/Linbergh/Roversi edits while sole purpose seemed to make Meisel look great. At least the content contributors are getting more attention now that the covers are so awful. Call it a blessing in disguise, if you like.

Yep, Steven Meisel always turns it out when it comes to studio shooting. People can say he’s Richard Avedon 2.0 or anything but he did it well. He captured beauty moment...
Oh wait his recent campaign doesn’t prove that... I’ll take my words back

The main editorial is probably the worst editorial I've seen with Shalom and it's not one bit her fault. The photography is terrible, cheap and amateurish.

Pierre Debusschere, Nathaniel Goldberg and Gregory Harris's editorials look promising. My favourites Lindbergh and Roversi still appear to wander in the dark creative limbo - I'm not expecting much from those previews..

Love it. What a coup, when was the last time we saw Shalom anywhere?

Also love the nuanced 80s reference with the Celine label showing.

Best & strongest VI cover I’ve seen in a while

I find it amusing how VI feels the need to give Shalom's backstory. Yes, in the age of wikipedia, we need MORE wikipedia like fashion nuggets spoon fed to the masses.

Shalom's BW cover editorial shots are passable, slightly better than Farneti's usual output.

Image 1: Should've better utilized that curved set design. That's more definitive, eye-catching than the rest of the mess of a photo. On the fashion front: bedraggled roadkill skunk shawl/jacket with 70s platforms, mini-dress of some sort with mystery fabric fluff highlighting Shalom's rear end with matching yet unidentifiable object in Shalom's hand. Does the editorial team truly think this was worthy of being printed? I'm flabbergasted.

Image 2: Why is Shalom's face so orangey red while her hand is closer to human skintone? Not feeling this Elton John ensemble. As far as the posing, more neck please.

Image 3: Shalom looks stunning. The fashion is on point. Too bad the tie looks so wonky.

High fashion pajama's in editorials, fashion features and magazine covers. Nobody saw that trend coming c 2011 :innocent:

Page count: 244 Pages + Bridal Supplement (212 pages) which is a collaborative effort between VI and Vanity Fair. So you can imagine the one bridal edit in the supplement to be VERY generic. Will only post on request.

Vogue Code: Love is a Country

Photographer: James Perolls
Stylist: Zara Zachrisson
Hair: Daniela Maginetti
Makeup: Giulia Cigarini
Cast: Roos van Elk

Vogue Italia Digital Edition

Flock Together

Photographer: Peter Lindbergh
Stylist: Jacob K
Hair: Shon
Makeup: Stéphane Marais
Cast: Mica Arganaraz, Kiki Willems, Signe Veiteberg

Breathless

Photographer: Nathaniel Goldberg
Stylist: Elin Svahn
Hair: Tomohari Ohashi
Makeup: Christine Corbel
Cast: Maike Inga

The 1920s bnw inspired photos intrigued me. The colored ones, not so much.

Heart of Glass

Photographer: Gregory Harris
Stylist: Beat Bolliger
Hair: Tomo Jidai
Makeup: Hannah Murray
Cast: Kiki Willems

Gregory’s editorial tries to imitate Meisel?
And failing.

I am starting to wonder if Meisel had had his own art director doing his photos layout during Franca period. Frankly, all the editorials in this issue suck. I don't know whose fault it is -- photographer or art director -- but not one of them even try to play with different orientations, sizes, layouts, poses etc.

I am starting to wonder if Meisel had had his own art director doing his photos layout during Franca period. Frankly, all the editorials in this issue suck. I don't know whose fault it is -- photographer or art director -- but not one of them even try to play with different orientations, sizes, layouts, poses etc.

This situation is endemic to so many editions right now. That's why I heave a sigh of relief when I see double page edits because at least it's very hard to muck that up. I do understand there's no 'right' way to sequence images, but yikes, some of the edits (the Lindbergh one especially) is terribly laid out.

So boring everything.... Nothing really exciting.

Sara's editorial is beautifully executed. It's a shame she's making the same boring face in all the shots. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->