Vogue Italia November 2023 : Anna Ewers by Bruno Staub

I keep thinking about how this would fit much better in another magazine. But well... Vogue Italia is not how it used to be anyway.

Scott Schulman street photography circa2007 is now as good as Vogue Italia gets LOL ..Even more hilarious— and/or pathetic is that it actually took a team to conjure these random InstaGallery shots for the coverstory.

Vogue Italia resembles the aesthetic of a Neiman Marcus or Saks on 5th outlet warehouse— where there’re plenty of bluechip brands on display, but the sensibility is just so highly discount looking that it just blends into the consumer brands right next to it. The only stronge image in this issue that bares teh faintest trace of Vogue Italia is the one of Mexican actresses Celeste Romero and Aneken Zaldivar by Emmanuel Lubezki’s “Il Paese delle Leggende” (…looks a tad on the digital-composite side, but I'll take it…:(

VogueItaliaN878Novembre2023.jpg

Love Anna but this cover is so insipid and uninspiring

The cover stinks. There is absolutely nothing special about it. This is Voge Italia. They are supposed to have the most creative covers. Anyone could have taken this shot.

My digital copy is showing 204 pages. The Archive page looks back at the Meisel cover of June 2011 with Tara Lynn, Candice Huffine and Robyn Lawley. In general, the front of Vogue Italia (and España) can be quite lively, with a lot of content.

When you flick through five different Vogues yet see the same editorials again and again (which weren't even that good in the first place), it becomes apparent that the life force of these editions is hiding in the 'throwaway' features at the front.

Anyhow, what reprints do we have this month... after Anna Ewer's cover story, there's a reprint of the Mexico City shoot by Emmanuel Lubezki (the longer version), a reprint of Larissa Hofmann's shoot with Lila Moss, a reprint of the recent Vogue France cover story with Malika and Ikram, then potentially an original accessories editorial shot by Hedi Stanton... and that's it.

the cover is lacking some spark but I do like the editorial.

I relate Bruno with men's fashion editorials. He's really good working with male models. But anyway, the cover isn't bad or a disaster to me. It's just simple.

Compared to this Ashleigh Good cover, which turns ten years this day (!!!), yeah, Anna's cover is not even close to that. This magazine used to be sooooooo good. I like Bruno's work, but Meisel :holdingbacktears:

759 2013-November-01.jpg

VOGUE ITALIA ARCHIVE

PD: Anna's debut cover turns 10 the next month.

I don't even remember that Ashleigh Good cover, lol.

2013 was such a great year for VI. This one and Vanessa's cover are classics.

Since the cover and story are supposed to be representative of Anna’s character, I think it’s authenticity works but I do sympathise with people who want to see more grandiose editorial concepts and styling.

I do wonder if these more organic and stripped back editorials are a response to 2010s/2020s excess, like 90s minimalism following the lurid 80s.

Since the cover and story are supposed to be representative of Anna’s character, I think it’s authenticity works but I do sympathise with people who want to see more grandiose editorial concepts and styling.

I do wonder if these more organic and stripped back editorials are a response to 2010s/2020s excess, like 90s minimalism following the lurid 80s.
Multiple things; as response of the Trump years, the pandemic, the crisis of print media and how that impact to the budget to make a fashion magazine now.

When is this issue appearing on newsstands in Italy? Or is the issue already on sale?

Nah, it doesn't even have to be grandiose but something has to be elevated so that the photos don't look like social media rejects. I personally think this looks terrible. There's maybe one image that I like, two if I'm generous. Since we usually tend to compare everything in this magazine to Meisel's work, the first thing that comes to my mind is one of my favourite editorials from 1992, Shana Zadrick's Basic Story from the May issue. It strips Shana of her usual glamorous vamp look and offers refreshing simplicity without losing the elements of good style and cool - neither of which are present here, unfortunately. Sometimes authenticity simply isn't a good look.

Nah, it doesn't even have to be grandiose but something has to be elevated so that the photos don't look like social media rejects. I personally think this looks terrible. There's maybe one image that I like, two if I'm generous. Since we usually tend to compare everything in this magazine to Meisel's work, the first thing that comes to my mind is one of my favourite editorials from 1992, Shana Zadrick's Basic Story from the May issue. It strips Shana of her usual glamorous vamp look and offers refreshing simplicity without losing the elements of good style and cool - neither of which are present here, unfortunately. Sometimes authenticity simply isn't a good look.
Oh, those early years of VI. Yes! Meisel started to be more avant garde in the mid 90s, but back then the stories by Joe McKenna (and sometimes Lori Goldstein and Carlyne) were more simple or casual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->