What Magazines Have You Bought/Received Recently?

bd_1_b.JPG

Christina on the cover of US Elle July, wearing Givenchy's cropped jackets & baggy trousers (looks like Louis Vuitton to me though) and BCBG's sequined tank. This is the best she has looked in years--a believable tan, nice colors--but too bad she gave up on the makeover as soon as she finished the shoot and when she turned up for the MTV movie awards she looked horrible and Anna Sui-esque again.

http://www.***************/image/0604200415482118.jpg

She has not had her hair done like this in ages! Memorable quotes: "People ask me why music is so raunchy now. When has it not been raunchy?"

Even though Elle did not put a model on the cover, this is actually the most satisfying and fashion-relevant issue this year.

Notable ad: Gisele Bundchen for Dior's Resort collection (mainly handbags)

Linda V, Adrianna Lima, Erin Wasson, Leticia Birkheuer, Caroline Winberg, Jessica Miller each has a 2-pg studio layout modelling the fall line from established designers: Narciso Rodriguez, Calvin Klein, Zac Posen, Donna Karan, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Oscar de la Renta, Marc Jacobs, Bill Blass, etc. Curiously, none of the pieces are stand-outs from the show (I blame the fashion editor for this), but using a variety of famed models is a good thing.

The shoes editorial showcases fall's heels. Again, nice & glossy layout; disappointing selection.

Similar to Adrianna Lima's "City Tweed" story (which has her walking on crowded city streets) is the following editorial which also uses 5-6 different girls to showcase stuff from newer designers: Libertine, Derek Lam, Peter Som, etc. The stylist did a better job this time and the looks are current and fun, better than the previous editorial feat. top models.

Finally, Linda V. has an only girl editorial that does some neat mixing and matching.

71_1.JPG

Completely forgettable issue. Angelina Jolie on cover of US Cosmopolitan July.

Lucky, despite the horrible cover, has produced a nice bargain issue that shows cute looks achievable under $100. Is August their Denim Issue? Lucky's denim issues are always awesome.

a2_1.JPG

Glamour's themes parallel those of Lucky's--it also has a bargain issue for July and a denim issue in August (come to think of it, Marie Claire is the same), but its staff aren't as creative.

May UK Vogue (june didnt arrive yet to Hungary, i think)(or may be I just dont check the shops :rolleyes: )

Attachments

• scarlett1804.jpg
    scarlett1804.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 7
June French ELLE, with the most beautiful miscellany of the season !

cover3049.jpg

Wow, Christina looks actually beautiful on that cover and pic. Amazing...I know she looked really nice in the beginning - Genie in a bottle time, but that's a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago...

July04Cover.jpg

Catherine Zeta-Jones is on W's July cover, wearing a Donna Karan gown especially created for this shoot. Ph: Michael Thompson. The interview was quite a read and brought forth many things that Ms. Zeta-Jones may not have wanted to discuss: her age, her cell phone commercial, and her law suits. I've always liked Catherine (even though she seems to have aged a lot between "Zorro", "Entrapment", and the birth of her first son), but I find it surprising that she wonders why people pick on her all the time. Well, darling, you are being portrayed as a "rich b*tch." So embrace that status because you will never be as well-liked as the romcom queens i.e. Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon.

W's celebrity editorial is running smaller and smaller. Only two accompanying photos this time.

The magazine also runs an article on Carmen Kass and her political aspiration. Quote: "To many Estonians I am a stranger. They think I have forgotten. But through more traveling I have realized where my home really is."

Editorials: Raquel Zimmermann in futuristic outfits by Stella McCartney, Junya Watanabe, Balenciaga, et al in a 13-pg studio shoot by David Sims. I like Sim's photography, even though the pointlessly over-the-top styling is typical for W. This is the beginning of many more Raquel editorials to come, I hope. She is the reigning star of the fall campaign along with Isabeli Fontana.

Julia Stegner in a black and white editorial by Michael Thompson. Very much like her Mert & Marcus editorial in W last year. Moody & good. The best thing about the issue.

Also want to recommend May's Spanish Vogue, even though it has been out for a while:

c4_1.JPG

Angela Lindvall looks ravishing on the cover in Loewe's black swimsuit. The editorials inside include a sexy, denim-themed "Cowgirl" spread with Georgia Grenville and flowing summer dresses with Sara Ziff.

Kirsten Dunst on cover of Premiere wearing a black backless Cavalli dress.

Paris Hilton on cover of Movieline's Hollywood Life. Julie Deply has an editorial inside.

Originally posted by LibertyRose@Jun 7th, 2004 - 8:54 pm
bd_1_b.JPG

Christina on the cover of US Elle July, wearing Givenchy's cropped jackets & baggy trousers (looks like Louis Vuitton to me though) and BCBG's sequined tank. This is the best she has looked in years--a believable tan, nice colors--but too bad she gave up on the makeover as soon as she finished the shoot and when she turned up for the MTV movie awards she looked horrible and Anna Sui-esque again.

http://www.***************/image/0604200415482118.jpg

She has not had her hair done like this in ages! Memorable quotes: "People ask me why music is so raunchy now. When has it not been raunchy?"

Even though Elle did not put a model on the cover, this is actually the most satisfying and fashion-relevant issue this year.

Notable ad: Gisele Bundchen for Dior's Resort collection (mainly handbags)

Linda V, Adrianna Lima, Erin Wasson, Leticia Birkheuer, Caroline Winberg, Jessica Miller each has a 2-pg studio layout modelling the fall line from established designers: Narciso Rodriguez, Calvin Klein, Zac Posen, Donna Karan, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Oscar de la Renta, Marc Jacobs, Bill Blass, etc. Curiously, none of the pieces are stand-outs from the show (I blame the fashion editor for this), but using a variety of famed models is a good thing.

The shoes editorial showcases fall's heels. Again, nice & glossy layout; disappointing selection.

Similar to Adrianna Lima's "City Tweed" story (which has her walking on crowded city streets) is the following editorial which also uses 5-6 different girls to showcase stuff from newer designers: Libertine, Derek Lam, Peter Som, etc. The stylist did a better job this time and the looks are current and fun, better than the previous editorial feat. top models.

Finally, Linda V. has an only girl editorial that does some neat mixing and matching.

71_1.JPG

Completely forgettable issue. Angelina Jolie on cover of US Cosmopolitan July.

Lucky, despite the horrible cover, has produced a nice bargain issue that shows cute looks achievable under $100. Is August their Denim Issue? Lucky's denim issues are always awesome.

a2_1.JPG

Glamour's themes parallel those of Lucky's--it also has a bargain issue for July and a denim issue in August (come to think of it, Marie Claire is the same), but its staff aren't as creative.
i didn't even recognize Christina... doesn't she see how much better she looks this way...
i love this series of photos...

and i really like the catherine zeta jones cover...

liberty rose...you ae so right about july and august...every year it's the same formula...
August is ALWAYS denim...for the more commercial mags...how do they all stay in business when they all do the same thing?...do we really need three denim issues...and is there really anything NEW about denim...don't we all know how to wear it?...american magazines bore me to tears...
:rolleyes: :ninja:

June's Haper & Queen with Sophie Dahl on the cover (posted long time ago in a different thread:( not a great issue, but I am a sucker for their "Runway to Closet" column.

July's Harper & Queen has Liz Hurley on the cover:

c5_1.JPG

June's UK Cosmo has Marissa Miller on the cover.

US Bazaar July: Hearst favorite Ashley Judd (she fronted Bazaar's 2003 March cover despite having no movies out that year) returns to promote her movie "De-Lovely" and Armanism.

Inside, Escada's autumn campaign premiered with Raquel Zimmermann (who already has Prada, Versace, Jil Sander, and Balenciaga under her belt), Erin Wasson, Julia Stegner, Eugenia Volodina, Liya Kebede, and Caroline Winberg. The clothes are in the most mundane shade of beige, but the mods look pretty good. :rolleyes:

Fashion capital editorials--something that Bazaar has become pretty good at. However, I do not think they picked any show-topping pieces this time, which is a shame, because the Paris collections are the best in years.

Paris: 16-pg studio shoot with Raquel Zimmermann by David Sims. Seems more W than Bazaar. Raquel Zimmermann is now a front-runner for "Top 10 Models of the Month" having been booked for 10-pg+ eds by W and Bazaar.

Milan: 14-pg Adrianna Lima by Glen Luchford. The same mood and setting as Luchford's last editorial with Missay Rayder and Chloe Sevingy, but still pretty good.

New York: Location shoot with Alexandra Richards and Patrick Demarchelier. This girl is cross-eyed and has the worst pout ever. Horrendously lifeless.

4-pg accessories ed with Polina K (who looks wicked a la Rie Rasmussen) by Greg Kadel. G. Kadel and G. Luchford should be contract Bazaar photographers. Patrick Demarchelier is better suited at US Vogue or UK Vogue. Michael Thompson should stick to W celebrity covers and Allure.

Homme( Arena), Meanswear, Vogue (us), Citizen K, Metropolitan Home.

While I was at the gorcery store this morning I picked up Allure with Kelly Rippa on the cover. I didn't stop once to read anything. So boring and useless. :yuk:

not enough. i need something to look at...i mean read.

oh man the new vogue is soooooooooooooo good.

the pictures are just the best for the number i've seen

The last magazine I brought was Nylon... I have yet to read it though........... My FAVORITE magazine of all time though is... SPOON. It is more like an art book then a magazine though... I actually just talked to someone about getting in it.... I'm sooooooooooooooooooo hoping too. If anyoen hasn't ever read it, you HAVE too. The photography is amazing, the models are amazing.. the concepts are out of this world.....

Rachel Whittemore

Originally posted by loserunit@Jun 16th, 2004 - 10:22 pm
oh man the new vogue is soooooooooooooo good.

the pictures are just the best for the number i've seen
Which version are you talking about.. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->