What makes a good male model?

happycanadian

Reaction score
this topic was discussed in a different thread, so i thought it appropriate to give it it's own spot on the fashion spot. since the "male eye candy" is mostly dedicated to . . .well. . . eye candy, i figured this would merit its own thread.

just a few questions i've wondered regarding male models:

who are the most influential and important male models ever?
what makes them so significant?
how come there aren't really many male SUPERmodels?
is it easier to break into the male modelling world than the female?
do male models have distinctive walks on the runway?
do any of them have dynamic walks? if so, who?

there are tons of posters here who like and appreciate male models, so i'm sure there'll be some great responses.

feel free to answer my questions and/or post your own!

it's good if he's taller than the girl...:P

Don't know about the most important or influential but I think the biggest male models would include people like Tyson Beckford, Antonio Sabato Jr., and Marcus Schenkenberg. At least those were some of the most mainstream ones.

I definately think it's easier to break into the modeling world as a model for guys than for girls because of competition. This is what many girls dream of doing growing up so it could get very very competitive. For guys, not the same story. I've yet to know a guy that dreamt of modeling as a kid.

currently i would say will chalker is the biggest one, but i think Vincent Lacrocq is the coolest!
i think having a style is more important than having a pretty face for a male model.
and they don't need a dynamic walks, just walking on the runway and showing the style of the clothes and themselves are just fine, and being natural!
afterall i think the word ""catwalk"" can only apply on female models, imagine a male model "catwalking" on the runway...:sick:

I like to think Harry Kinkead as a "supermodel" because of those Prada campaigns, although he probably isn't.

I think that a good male model is one who is versatile (this goes for female models as well).
And also it depends on what look designers want.

Elite NYC considers him as one of their top bets in the current race for the next male "megamodel". Competing with Boyd for this title includes David Smith at IMG, Nick Bryant at VModels, Derek Hunchins at NY Models and Jeppe Zeller, also at IMG.

From http://www.model-max.com/boyd_holbrook.htm

amchan said:
currently i would say will chalker is the biggest one, but i think Vincent Lacrocq is the coolest!
i think having a style is more important than having a pretty face for a male model.
and they don't need a dynamic walks, just walking on the runway and showing the style of the clothes and themselves are just fine, and being natural!
afterall i think the word ""catwalk"" can only apply on female models, imagine a male model "catwalking" on the runway...:sick:

Yeah, at the current time, Will is as close to "supermodel" status as you're gonna get...Definitely not as mainstream as Tyson and Marcus (as previously suggested by another poster), but doing EVERYBODY's campaign & runway shows definitely says something.

And yes, you are right amchan: Vincent Lacrocq is the coolest!

hugobossdaria said:
has to be photogentic,and has to have a good height

and having a nice package NEVER hurt any male models career either!
:D

i believe that a good attitude is what makes a good male model. humility, smarts, and sincere interest (good relationship with clients you build relationships with) attributes to the longevity of a male model in the industry. having a good reputation is invaluable in the success of a male model.

You dont necessairly have to be good looking (some models in general look kind of strange). But you should have a good work ethic, be easy to work with, have a very diverse look that can be changed to fit the mood of each show/photoshoot (there should also be something about you that everyone likes).

Not to be so TYPICAL. And plus, you need to create an impression. If you notice, supermodels are not only pretty, they come ALIVE in pictures. I saw a lot of guys look gorgeous, but there is no life coming out of them. But models like Vincent Lacrocq -the newbie- provoke a personality. He seems strong -one of the thing I like about him is that he looks very MALE, no eye-candy-, loyal, faithful,... Jeremy Dufor even though looks eye-candy, but have an amazing structure (he's just perfect! His face, his body, all comes into perfection!) and a mesmerizing charisma. THey can go different looks without loosing what's distinctive about them. Plus, they have a fabulous walk! Vincent gives out a little kick everytime he turns, very street-like and attitude. Jeremy is surreal and charming! Both of them are nice, decent guys too. I like to work with models who are nice. I feel like I can make them beautiful and its worth it. If a model is bitchy and cocky, I consider it a turnoff. How can I make someone look beautiful if I hate their guts???

chizzled facial features. (for that "strong" look)
rock hard abs.
physique. physique. physique.

There's such a wide range in male "ideal" no? I mean obviously there's a wide range in female modelling as well.. but say.. Daria can do Prada, Marc, Dolce, Chanel, Dior all in one season.. whereas NO male models can say the same beause the shows casts totally different "ideals".

well,imho

good height,

handsome..like Tyson Ballou is good-looking, i think

somebody who's got a personality

has his own style and has a good taste about fashion,dressing...

not terrible on the runway!:angry:
maybe it's just me, but i think most male models' catwalk is just
ugly and boring :yuk:

good height and well trained but not over the top athletic body is a must..

personality is huge (even more than with girl models)
male models can be very succesful if they show their brains during the shooting, there is nothing more boring from a beautiful, tall guy with empty eyes and vacant/cow eyes expression
and believe me, there are far too many of those in this business

who said male supermodels dont exist?
super models = 80's so..
Marcus and Cameron where total gods (in their time)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->