What makes a good male model?

its easier being a male model though? i heard male models usually career much longer than girls. and the looks can vary alot.

^Yes, I've heard males can model well into their 30s. Whereas female models are considered "old" by the time they turn 25.

Ieva said:
Not always. I've noticed Male models are more "skinny" then built these days, you don't see as many hard abs as you used to.
Personally, I prefer the skinny look on male models instead of the muscular look.

JR1 said:
its easier being a male model though? i heard male models usually career much longer than girls. and the looks can vary alot.

Longer career but much less pay... :huh:

^ And a lot less respect and noteriety... even though she isn't Angelina Jolie, Gemma Ward is bound to have a few people stop her if she's walking down the street in New York. I doubt that Boyd Holbrook or Jeremy Dufour have the same problem. :wink:

well since they are male models, they have to look good... but besides the obvious, personality is a must. Some models are very standoffish- even during televised interviews! On the runway, they should appear relaxed and comfortable- the walk shouldn't look forced. Definitely photogenic, and their work shouldn't vary too much in quality. They should have a great range and be able to work all sorts of moods or looks.

My personal favorite is Marcus Hedbrandh. Very comfortable on the runway, very smiley and has a good personality/sense of humor (from what I can tell in his interviews and backstage vids), and basically looks amazing in everything he has done so far. Very consistent, and overall great model. ^_^

i heard most maelmodels have about 5 percent body fat? also they typica;ly have narrow waists in proportion to their frame. they are not big in person. just super toned.

this thread is funny!
what makes a good male model is the same as what makes a good female model. looks, personality and attitude.

... even though she isn't Angelina Jolie, Gemma Ward is bound to have a few people stop her if she's walking down the street in New York. I doubt that Boyd Holbrook or Jeremy Dufour have the same problem. :wink:

^ unless they stumble across some tfsers or mhers :P

:lol:B)

I'm not sure, but I think I read that Ryan Taylor has made about $50,000 when you subtract expenses. I think I saw that on MH, or maybe it was here.

wow, much less pay :ninja:
but i think that's actually b/c
when you think about it
male models are actually used as
props & not actually MODELS in
most cases, if you know what
i mean :P
but i'm wondering how much
a male model who's really a TOP MODEL
like Will Chalker or Tyson Beckford.

no idea, but Ryan Taylor's relatively new compared to Chalker and Beckford. I'm assuming that the $50,000 came from non-runway shows since those don't pay very much. Maybe in a few years he'll get more.

i think a good sense of humour is really important... not so much with girls but def with boys...

I have no authority on the topic, but IMO, I think just like women, men have a variety of looks too. There is that ripped and conventionally beautiful, tan, gorgeous hair and smile guess?-type man. Then there are the skinny, androgynous, fair-skinned, delicate type men. Then there are all the inbetweens. Neither so macho or so femme. Same with women like the VS catalog type on one end and the high fashion ed type on the other. And some work on both ends of course.

I think in some ways men's bodies are more important than women's. They need to either be skinny or very built where women just need to be skinny but rarely do they need to show muscles (unless it's a fitness job).

For height, I don't think men need to be exceptionally tall, but I don't think there is any leeway if you're short. Women have a tiny chance of being the exception if they are shorter than the average model but with men I just don't see it happening.

I think facial structure is just as important for men as for women. And it doesn't necessarily have to be strong and masculine. I often see men in ads and eds that look so beautiful and delicate they could easily pass for a woman.

Just my $.02:flower:

I agree with your points pinksatin... but I think the models that get the most jobs often fall in the "in between" category. They are built, but not overly muscular, and they also are slender enough for the "beautiful/gorgeous" jobs instead of only the hot/sexy ones. In the end, they get the most runway/campaign jobs because some designers like Burberry favor the skinnier models, while Dolce & Gabbana tends to favor more built models. The in-betweens can work both ends.

As for face, the same principle applies. It seems that many brands want models who can appear both masculine or beautiful (not necessarily feminine... it's hard to explain). They want range. Good examples of such models are Kevin Flamme, Marcus Hedbrandh, Mathias Lauridsen, and many other members of Models.com Top50.

This is of course mere speculation. I don't work in the industry, but from what I've seen, this appears to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
what makes them so significant?

Personality, Good Looks. Charisma. Easy to work with. Range. Likability. Will Chalker has the total package. He can be dark and brooding or he can look like the the most disarming, happiest guy on earth. Some represent a type of image or fantasy.

There are some male models whom I don't consider very good or have any range, but they can be so far and beyond better looking than other male models and that can be enough. Others aren't so good looking, but have a personality that jumps off the pages.

how come there aren't really many male SUPERmodels?
Women, Men, Gay Men, Gay Women (basically people of every sexual persuasion) all appreciate a beautiful female model, but only Gay Men and some Women appreciate a good looking guy.

do male models have distinctive walks on the runway?

Yes, but they're much more subtle than females. Men tend to walk more naturally. Women can play it up.

do any of them have dynamic walks? if so, who? I can think of no male model known for his walk. There is no male equivalent of a naomi walk or a gisele walk. Walking for men is easy. They just need to be natural.

^Danny Beauchamp has a SUPERB walk. look @ his vids! IMO, very flaunty for a guy but not in a feminine way. :flower: Ryan Taylor, btw, whom i think is very attractive facial wise, doesn't have a good walk :unsure: But he's relatively new so maybe he'll get better with time ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->