Who Are The New Supermodels?

See. I don't think you can classify any of the working models in high fashion today as the 'new supermodels' because they're clearly not. Gemma Ward have reached a certain amount of fame but unless models nowadays are raised to VS status, they won't be considered supermodels.

My definition of a supermodel is, like most of the TFSers here is based on their level of 'fame' and how well they appeal to the mainstream audience

Personally, I think Sasha and Freja are beautiful but the general public wouldn't. Yes, they can be considered 'supermodels' but only within the restrictions of the high fashion industry.

I agree with everyone that Gisele is the supermodel. Even if people can't put a face to her, they know her vaguely as the 'girl from Victoria's secret'

The term "Supermodel" has no relevance today, why?. Because times have changed. The supermodels of the 90's achieved mainstream fame because they were beautiful and were occassionaly seen with a famous singer or actor from time to time. You'd be fooling yourself if you think that they actually appealed to the masses for being "good models". They were considered good models for the people who were in the industry. With that said they all had star quality and an eagerness to put themselves out there for the world to see. With the exception of Naomi, who I adore. I still don't think that highly of her fellow supermodels.

wow you guys are good. I learnt a lot. :smartass:

to me the idea of being the new supermodel you must have these: :P
1. Vogue cover/ mens mags cover
2. loved by paparazzi
3. dating celebrities
4. terrible acting
5. controversial
6. be in sexiest women list (FHM/Arena)
and the ones that I can think of are Naomi, Gisele and Kate Moss whom the media have been calling them "the new supermodels".

I don't know. I think it's sad. Are they the new supermodels or the new celebritymodels?

omg, another thread on this subject! :o

i have only one thing to say as usual: daria isn't a real supermodel and hopefully she'll never become a supermodel.
actually i think she already wasted her opportunities.

(and she isn't a classical beauty either)

There aren't any supermodels, and there never will be again, at least not within the next twenty or so years. What little girls want to grow up to be Sasha or Vlada? None. Scarlett or Beyonce? Pleanty. :flower:

Gazillion said:
wow you guys are good. I learnt a lot. :smartass:

to me the idea of being the new supermodel you must have these: :P
1. Vogue cover/ mens mags cover
2. loved by paparazzi
3. dating celebrities
4. terrible acting
5. controversial
6. be in sexiest women list (FHM/Arena)
and the ones that I can think of are Naomi, Gisele and Kate Moss whom the media have been calling them "the new supermodels".

I don't know. I think it's sad. Are they the new supermodels or the new celebritymodels?

I don't think that's the criteria at all. :lol: Besides, Naomi is one of the original supermodels, so how would she be a "new" one? Kate, also, she kind of closed out the super era. She's part of another time, even though both remain relevant today.

I disagree with the notion that no one cared about the supers as good models. The fact that couture runway shows, for instance, held so much more excitement than they do today, and people used to literally clap when these women came down the catwalk. :lol: People loved seeing their ad campaigns and many of their pictures became iconic. Yes, it has to do with celebrity ("supermodel"= "Superstar"), and controversy helps that in many cases, but they were respected for their modeling abilties as well, IMO.

Yes, I also hate the implication that women like Cindy Crawford and Christy Turlington weren't "high fashion" like the girls today. Uh, they walked in every major show, they were on the covers of Vogue, Vogue Italia, did campaigns for Versace, Armani, Gucci, etc. Just because someone has commercial appeal doesn't mean that they aren't "high fashion" or "unique".

Today models have to choose: a viable high fashion career or "commercial" work like a cosmetic contract or lingerie. There won't be any supers until that notion is outmoded because you can't have it both when you're forced to choose between two very different types of modeling.

Stam, because of how circles in NY and LA know her and because she's grown into a woman now?

Wow! I didn't expect this to be such a conversation starter. I think because the fashion business doesn't want to create another batch of ''ubermodels'' the new models have to work harder these days to hit mainstream status. Also, there are so many trends in models that a lot of them never last a season. I think we need to bring back the true models: shapely, beautiful, tall, graceful, photogenic, etc. and we will have ourselves supermodels again.

I begrudgingly agree that Gisele is the last "Supermodel" but that was due to her relationship with Leo. I agree that there needs to be a new word to describe girls like Daria, Gemma, Liya...etc
How about Super Pricey Models?

Last edited by a moderator:
eword said:
i have only one thing to say as usual: daria isn't a real supermodel and hopefully she'll never become a supermodel.

Oh don't worry, we already knew it :lol::lol::lol:

Jacque Marcel said:
I begrudgingly agree that Gisele is the last "Supermodel" but that was due to her relationship with Leo.

WRONG! :ninja:

fouroclock said:
Stam, because of how circles in NY and LA know her and because she's grown into a woman now?

I don't know if that's true or not, but whatever that's not enough to be a Super.

I know I put forth Stam's name at the beginning before this turned into a huge discussion but in all seriousness, I don't want Stam to become a super.

yes, there are no more supermodels like Linda, Christy, Cindy etc. people were totally enamoured with them because they were also personalities.

i agree with Donatella when she says celebrities took the place of supermodels.

the girls at the top at the Top Models, like someone else suggested - Daria, Gemma, Natalia - but they don't have the celebrity power of say for example, The Holy Trinity.

Supermodels are long gone...

what do u mean when a model has to "prove" they're a super-model....whats ur definition of super-model?

Look, the Supermodel was a one time thing. There will never be models who command as much attention again. The reason that models have been so heavily replaced with celebrities is due in part to a societal revolt to the power and attention that the trinity commanded. With most things that are so heavily prominant in popular culture, there is a rise and a fall. All signs in Semiology reach an inevitable collapse once they have been too widely accepted. Its the same thing for fashion as we're taught about the lifecycle of trends. The same is true with models.

So no, there will never be another group of Supermodels, the terms and conditions which applied to that group of girls will never be ablicable to the girls of now. We can discuss and debate for as long as we'd like to about what it takes to reach "Top Model" status now a days. However, I think the most valid thing we've reached in this discussion is the "Neo-Supermodel" term. To modelphiles and fashion elitists everywhere, the girls that we can most widely recognize, and that people outside of the elite circle of the fashion world recognize as well, are the new "Top Models" of today.

I just think it would be more adventagious to discuss which girls of today have the most staying power, the best chance to move into the upper echelon of the modeling world, than to debate why they'll never be like the Supermodels of the 80s and 90s.

Well since there are no more Supermodels, Who do you think are the new "Top Models"?

youarearockstar said:
As far as the first group of established, Neo-Supermodels I'm going with: Carolyn Murphy, Natalia Vodianova, Liya Kebede, Karolina Kourkova, Carmen Kass, Angela Lindvall, Daria Werbowy, and Gemma Ward

As for the latter group of up and coming potential Neo-Supers: Doutzen Kroes, Caroline Trentini, Freja Beha, Natasha Poly, and Hilary Rhoda.

I already gave my two cents on who I thought were the Neo-Supers of our day and age, and the up and comers of our times. I didn't mean to sound critical before, I just wanted to address the growing debate within the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->