Who Are The New Supermodels?

I agree with Joseph. "New wave" doesn't really characterize what these younger models are. If you take out the "super", you've changed the nature entirely of the term and the model. None of the younger models today can be considered "super".

A term like "top model" works, though, or perhaps a new title altogether needs to be created to better fit the new era.

You can't just adopt terms of cultural signifiers once an era has ended. It's like saying a woman is, I don't know, a Rosie the Riveter because they work in a factory today. Well, after WWII, the context changed, so it's not really the same thing.

Dadum said:
UUuuh... Doutzen?!?! Beauty is a personal taste, but you can't deny Doutzen will be liked mainstream. So I don't know why she couldn't be "supermodel" material.

I was told that Doutzen is like a mix of Claudia Schiffer and Carre Otis, I was so happy and emotionally excited that fastly looked for her thread.

I was so dissapointed, her features are strange, of course she's not ugly, she's cute but definitely not the most beautiful .

Attachments

• doutzen.jpg
    doutzen.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 6
Just like the new-rave scene, it's reminiscent of the rave period of the 90's, but it isnt the same, its just adjusted and changed over time to what makes it what it is now.

Mr-Dale said:
Yup, it's something historical...look at art: neo-classicism, neo-realism, neo-expressionism...neo-supermodels!

Yes, but in those cases, aren't they just revivals of the same thing? Heavily borrowing elements from the past?

What, really, do today's models have in common with the real supers, besides the fact that they model? I mean, if they look differently, walk differently, "different personalities", not as known in mainstream, don't have the celebrity status that triggered the term "supermodel" from "superstar", don't have as many covers, etc... is it a fair comparison to make?

I hate to argue semantics, but unless the industry changes as ignites the careers of legendary models and catapults them to superstar status, they won't be "neo-supers". They'll be great "regulars". :lol:

Neo-Supers is a good way to put it. There is no one that will replace the era of models that were acredited with Supermodel status, but there is definitely a new breed of girls that are on their way. I agree that Gisele was the last official Supermodel, and she sealed the end of the official Supers.

As far as I'm concerned there are two groups here, girls that are already Neo-Supers, and girls that are on their way to becoming Neo-Supers:

As far as the first group of established, Neo-Supermodels I'm going with: Carolyn Murphy, Natalia Vodianova, Liya Kebede, Karolina Kourkova, Carmen Kass, Angela Lindvall, Daria Werbowy, and Gemma Ward

As for the latter group of up and coming potential Neo-Supers: Doutzen Kroes, Caroline Trentini, Freja Beha, Natasha Poly, and Hilary Rhoda

Just my two cents.

sepia said:
I agree with Joseph. "New wave" doesn't really characterize what these younger models are. If you take out the "super", you've changed the nature entirely of the term and the model. None of the younger models today can be considered "super".

A term like "top model" works, though, or perhaps a new title altogether needs to be created to better fit the new era.

I agree :flower:

youarearockstar said:
Neo-Supers is a good way to put it.

I insist, why the "Super"? could it be only "Neo"? :lol: Neo-models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joseph26 said:
I insist, why the "Super"? could it be only "Neo"? :lol: Neo-models.

because being neo-models would only put them at the same level as every other model of this time. If there was no super added, there would be no separation from the girls that can't book a Chanel show :wink:

sepia said:
Yes, but in those cases, aren't they just revivals of the same thing? Heavily borrowing elements from the past?

Revivals indeed and as ybf stated, adjusted and developed into something different....I'd say that neo-supers have a bigger focus on recognition within the fashion world than by the manistream. There is the big difference between the real supers. But that doesn't mean they are or will not be known by the general public. I think if you let Sasha Pivovarova (neo-super, hello!) on the loose in Japan or certain parts of China, she'll be needing bodyguards to kick the wacko fans of her!

Also, I would say that the worldwide success of every single Next Top Model franchise brings back a focus on the topmodel...they're idolised again more and more in some way...who knows what this discussion wil look like in 10 years.

yourbestfriend said:
because being neo-models would only put them at the same level as every other model of this time. If there was no super added, there would be no separation from the girls that can't book a Chanel show :wink:

what about "Neo-Top Model"? a top model is a model who is in the top of the fashion Bussiness, like Gemma or Daria.

In the era of the Supermodels there were models who booked Chanel shows but they were not "Supers", like Irina Pantaeva or Navia Nguyen.

- a model don't need to be a "Super" to be in a Chanel fashion show.
- a model needs to be a Top Model to be in a Chanel fashion show.

can you see the difference? :wink:

Bleh, let's not be a pain in the ***... Neo-supermodels is good. But didn't you know who Doutzen was?

Mr-Dale said:
I think if you let Sasha Pivovarova (neo-super, hello!) on the loose in Japan or certain parts of China, she'll be needing bodyguards to kick the wacko fans of her!

that's what It's all about! goal! a "Super" has to be worldwide recognized, not only in certain parts of China or Timbuctu. if not, you're not a Super, so easy!

as I said before, "Super" in the modeling world has a meaning, it's not only a nice fashionista term.

yourbestfriend said:
If there was no super added, there would be no separation from the girls that can't book a Chanel show :wink:

...we could just call those girls models. Girls in that level have been called models from before the eighteenth century to now; I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to continue doing so.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the rest of the VS models? I'm sure more people know and care about Alessandra and Adriana than they will ever care about Gemma or Doutzen, however good Gemma and Doutzen are as models. The VS girls have more in common with supermodels than any of the models today; they are relatively well-known, perilously close to first-name status, and their beauty and appeal is immediate and obvious, unlike Gemma's more subtle beauty or any of the other models that most people would never "get".

Well, we are not to discusse the term: Supermodels, neo-supermodels and all the other terms where mentioned. I think it's more clear now who enyone thinks about it and lets talk about models who have succes, nowadays and in the future.

bismarck said:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the rest of the VS models? I'm sure more people know and care about Alessandra and Adriana than they will ever care about Gemma or Doutzen, however good Gemma and Doutzen are as models. The VS girls have more in common with supermodels than any of the models today; they are relatively well-known, perilously close to first-name status, and their beauty and appeal is immediate and obvious.

Exactly! the most of the people think that Adriana and Co. are the continuation of the Super of the 90's, they have practically ignored girls like Gemma or Daria.

well said Bismarck! ^_^

Joseph26 said:
nope, should I? :huh:

Yes I think you should. She did some big things (campaigns: Valentino, Gucci, Spokewomen of L'oreal, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, Geurlain, Calvin Klein (multiple) + fragrance) just to mention some stuff.

I'f you are discussing about "Supermodels" it would be nice if you know something about models.. But on the other hand, it says something about the status of todays "supermodels" :wink:

Dadum said:
Yes I think you should. She did some big things (campaigns: Valentino, Gucci, Spokewomen of L'oreal, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, Geurlain, Calvin Klein (multiple) + fragrance) just to mention some stuff.
I'm not a fashionista, sorry :wink: I love traditional fashion photography (Lindbergh, Penn...) but it doesn't mean I have to know the name of the girls. it made sense in the era of the Supermodels but now it's really irrelevant to know her names.

The only "real" super I can think of is Gisele. If I say "Sasha Pivovarova" I get a blank stare, but there's always recognition with Gisele.

Revivals indeed and as ybf stated, adjusted and developed into something different....I'd say that neo-supers have a bigger focus on recognition within the fashion world than by the manistream. There is the big difference between the real supers. But that doesn't mean they are or will not be known by the general public. I think if you let Sasha Pivovarova (neo-super, hello!) on the loose in Japan or certain parts of China, she'll be needing bodyguards to kick the wacko fans of her!

Also, I would say that the worldwide success of every single Next Top Model franchise brings back a focus on the topmodel...they're idolised again more and more in some way...who knows what this discussion wil look like in 10 years.

The true supers, I think, were able to dominate both mainstream and high fashion. Covers, haute couture shows, muses for the top designers, etc, while still being celebrities. I mean, do you really think Naomi and Claudia, for instance, weren't incredibly respected in the fashion world? It's limiting only from today's model scene, which kind of asks you to pick one: 1) mainstream success (such as Adriana Lima and other VS models) or 2) high fashion (like Gemma, etc).

I think you're right about a revived interest in fashion these days. Even the real supers have seen a resurgence in exposure and popularity as of late. But still, to compare Natalia, Daria, Liya, etc, even Giselle to an extent, to Linda, Christy, Naomi, Helena, Stephanie at the height of their careers is flawed, IMO. They just aren't comparable. They are popular today, but the industry and mainstream are different. Not that it takes anything away from them or their careers (I quite like Natalia and Liya is one of my favorite models ever), but their context is different.

So a "neo-super" is really like saying "a poor-man's super" or a "less popular super". :lol: It defeats the purpose!

I say fashion heads get creative and derive a new name for the current era and the women succeeded in today's industry. Evolve! :flower:

Now I can agree that perhaps one day, a new type of supermodel will emerge, but I don't think we're there yet. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->