Who Will Succeed John Galliano At Dior? #2 *Update Raf Simons Offically Hired*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys it's impossible they will hire John back. If they do they lose the multi millions dollars contract they have with Natalie Portman. They will pretty much send the message that saying things like he did has no impact. They will lose all their jewish clientele, and trust me they don't want that.
Unless LVMH has a big secret plan... which I doubt

Oh and it might be old news but this morning I heard Anna Wintour allegedly advised Arnault to hire Peter Copping at Dior.

^ Copping?! Really?! That kinda made me hurl for a second. I mean no hard feelings to Peter, but hiring him would be settling for average. He doesn't seem to have the ideas or the public persona to lead something as major as Dior. Why not just go for Theyskens? I don't get it.

^^

They mentioned it in a Vogue article that dismissed Marc as the new creative director. Arnault was allegedly considering rehiring Galliano as he felt the situation had been dealt with appropriately and he didn't believe anyone else could do the job. If I have time I will try and find it.

well theyskens is under contract right? and he seems perfectly happy where he is now

^ plus, why was he fired from nina ricci? wasn't it cause it was not selling? toledano and co. would never go for someone who won't sell.

^ Yes that was the main reason why he was fired, and that's probably the exact reason why they're avoiding him. Same goes for Lacroix.

^ but Olivier has been successful with Theory, right?
i don't think we can be sure that they're avoiding him, maybe they're just waiting until his contract ends..

Guys it's impossible they will hire John back. If they do they lose the multi millions dollars contract they have with Natalie Portman. They will pretty much send the message that saying things like he did has no impact. They will lose all their jewish clientele, and trust me they don't want that.
Unless LVMH has a big secret plan... which I doubt
Natalie Portman works for Dior so if she walks away that will be money that flows back in their pocket, although that may not even be the case because she may have already been paid for services rendered, and the company has the rights to her images and commercials, or if it is an ongoing thing then they have the rights to the images and she just has to take the money, so what they would be losing is her promoting the brand by her wearing their dresses and accessories on the red carpet, and it just so happens that when she would have gotten the most notice, at this year's Oscars, she did not wear Dior. Has she been a big pull for Dior? I don't recall seeing any commercials (although they may start playing in the coming weeks since it's the holidays), and I remember seeing images a while back but not so much recently, but I don't know if that is a reflection of the magazines I read / browse. Does anyone know if Natalie's Miss Dior's images are in heavy rotation in fashion and beauty mags?

I think that the thing with Dior's Jewish clientele is iffier, I think that they would definitely lose some customers but I am not sure one way or the other if it would be a significant amount. I think that the big thing is do the execs want to put up with having a flamboyant talent as the Creative Director, or do they want to go the quieter, more solid route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc Jacobs is not going to Dior.

A source close to the situation tells us Jacobs “declined” the job for good sometime in “mid November.” LVMH reportedly approached Jacobs about taking the reigns at Dior in July after Bill Gaytten showed his critically-slammed couture collection for the house. Jacobs seemed a shoe-in for the job. But negotiations between LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault, Dior president Sidney Toledano and Jacobs fell apart over money and the reorganization of Jacobs’ team. According to a source, Jacobs wanted to bring his team from Vuitton to Dior and “transfer the aesthetic from one house to another” (which might explain the dramatic shift towards a more girly aesthetic in Jacobs’ spring collection for Vuitton). As WWD reported earlier this month, that would leave Vuitton, LVMH’s cash cow, in the lurch, with the conglomerate’s other design star, Phoebe Philo, unwilling to leave Céline to replace Jacobs at Vuitton.

Ever since John Galliano was fired as the creative director of Dior last February for making racist slurs–a story that dominated the headlines of major newspapers, tabloids, and fashion rags alike for weeks–the question on everyone’s red-glossed lips has been: Who would replace him? Speculation commenced as soon as Dior issued the press release about Galliano’s firing. According to our source Albert Elbaz, Haider Ackermann, Azzedine Alaia, Ricardo Tisci, and Marc Jacobs have all been named as possible contenders for the job, and lately the name being bandied around is Tom Ford.

But so far, there are no takers. (Maybe new names in the ring, Alex Wang and Jason Wu, actually have a shot). It’s a massive undertaking to revamp the house–one that is still turning a profit under Galliano’s vision. “Designers probably have declined the job since LVMH has not shown any gratitude towards John Galliano,” the source tell us. “In fact, he has managed to revamp the House and give the image it still has today despite the scandal. People today see Dior through Galliano’s outrageous, romantic, glamorous and innovative vision. To see how he has been forgotten by the leaders of the House in a such ungrateful way would not attract anyone with self esteem.”

So it looks like Bill Gaytten may stay at the helm of Dior for a while longer and it will be well over a year before LVMH names Galliano’s successor. Of course, the fashion industry loves to buzz…
fashionista

Well, all of us already knew Jacobs isn't going to be Dior designer anymore but there are another important points or notes.

Natalie Portman works for Dior so if she walks away that will be money that flows back in their pocket, although that may not even be the case because she may have already been paid for services rendered, and the company has the rights to her images and commercials, or if it is an ongoing thing then they have the rights to the images and she just has to take the money, so what they would be losing is her promoting the brand by her wearing their dresses and accessories on the red carpet, and it just so happens that when she would have gotten the most notice, at this year's Oscars, she did not wear Dior. Has she been a big pull for Dior? I don't recall seeing any commercials (although they may start playing in the coming weeks since it's the holidays), and I remember seeing images a while back but not so much recently, but I don't know if that is a reflection of the magazines I read / browse. Does anyone know if Natalie's Miss Dior's images are in heavy rotation in fashion and beauty mags?

I think that the thing with Dior's Jewish clientele is iffier, I think that they would definitely lose some customers but I am not sure one way or the other if it would be a significant amount. I think that the big thing is do the execs want to put up with having a flamboyant talent as the Creative Director, or do they want to go the quieter, more solid route.

well someone under contract can't just walk away,it's be stupid for her. Plus the things she models for Galliano has no part in. Perfume and Beauty are not things he designs. She hasnt really been a huge part, I think Dior just had enough money to hire her, so they did. Her images and commercials come around every once in a while. I see a lot more of Charlize's fragrance ads.

I don't understand how Alexander Wang's name is still being thrown around, or why it came up in the first place. It makes me very uncomfortable.

They should really be looking at the fashion schools to give someone a chance if they dont want / cannot get a Theyskens, Ford, or Elbaz. There's a lot of talent there that would maybe need to be refined, but it could work. Although haute couture would be the most trying for someone new. Or maybe not.

I just wish they would hurry to name someone as I cannot take another Gaytten collection.

let's not forget the power of celebrity. natalie portman can make a very public break from the brand and actively -- as much as her contract allows -- draw negative press toward the brand. it doesn't matter that her campaign may have ended, she still has her voice. and she could still rally any number of organizations and celebrity friends against dior.

it's too soon. also, in my opinion, dior vacilated too much in breaking with galliano up front. they need a new designer if only for place holder and good press purposes. people still make jokes about galliano -- i heard one on gossip girl tonight -- so it's not something that's blown over quite yet.

They should really be looking at the fashion schools to give someone a chance if they dont want / cannot get a Theyskens, Ford, or Elbaz. There's a lot of talent there that would maybe need to be refined, but it could work. Although haute couture would be the most trying for someone new. Or maybe not.

I just wish they would hurry to name someone as I cannot take another Gaytten collection.

i agree with this. or recruit someone with a small line not-long out of a fashion school. dior really needs a fresh perspective.

Oh and it might be old news but this morning I heard Anna Wintour allegedly advised Arnault to hire Peter Copping at Dior.

one could certainly see peter copping standing in as a great choice for a placeholder designer. he has certainly kept nina ricci relevant in the absence of the naked genius of theyskens, but do they really want someone as a tide-me-over or a fresh start?

00280m.jpg

(style.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want Copping to leave Nina Ricci, I'm so in love with the collections, the romantic Parisian!

God, tell me about it - thinking about his vacant Galliano collection and pastel pleated Dior Couture is making me wince.

I'm finding it quite amusing how
fashionista is writing "Gaytten's collection was critically slammed" when all I read at the time of the show was "Mm, it's not as good as Galliano, but Gaytten is sure doing a good job continuing that legacy." shortly followed by "The whole collection sold out!!"

Peter Copping for Dior... I think his ulta-feminine style is much suited at Nina Ricci, and should stay there where I can handle it - it's a mountain higher than Gaytten's work but [without knocking his quality of design, which is excellent] the aesthetic of his Nina Ricci is a slightly older customer than Chiuri and Piccioli's Valentino but with some excellent jackets.

I couldn't bear the drama of exquisite cut and drape of couture bowing out to multiple catwalks showing varying qualities of nude fitted dresses with frill abundance.
Peter Copping doesn't have the
"extravagant Victorianism of Dior’s vision", as Rebecca Arnold so correctly commented, which is what Galliano had - Dior would turn into chiffon and lace and be wearable but bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->