Why Do All The Models Smoke?

Originally posted by AlexN@Aug 18 2004, 05:33 AM
Some of you wonder why someone would question why many models smoke. Perhaps because their job requires them to look good and look young. Smoking is proven to cause premature wrinkles and stain teeth. Wouldn't you think a model would keep from jeopardizing the longevity of his/her career at all costs? I certainly would; smoking while in a career that depends on outer appearance seems foolish to me.

Regarding the comments about smoking being comparable to things like general pollution and not really mattering: Granted, but why add to the bag of life-threatening components in our everyday atmosphere?
[snapback]336869[/snapback]​

i agree with you so much, but some of my friends smoke and somehow their skin and teeth always looks amazing with or without makeup, so maybe its the same with some models, smoking don't hurt their apperances right now and so they continue.

this is got to be the silliest thread...models smoke for the same reason they talk on their cell phones...not to look trendy, but mainly bc they can. years ago people found that excessive talking on cell phones caused brain cancer...where's the investigation and the class action suits? i mean if tomorrow, the surgeon general put out a report saying that talking on cell phones was bad...i don't think we'd all be throwing our cell phones away. it's a habit just like biting your nails or twiddling your thumbs...

Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 18 2004, 11:45 AM
this is got to be the silliest thread...
[snapback]337148[/snapback]​

Sillier than the "Amazing cream!" thread? I think not!

Won't cocaine damage your heart to the point that you have to get an artificial one if you do it too long?

Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 18 2004, 10:45 AM
this is got to be the silliest thread...models smoke for the same reason they talk on their cell phones...not to look trendy, but mainly bc they can. years ago people found that excessive talking on cell phones caused brain cancer...where's the investigation and the class action suits? i mean if tomorrow, the surgeon general put out a report saying that talking on cell phones was bad...i don't think we'd all be throwing our cell phones away. it's a habit just like biting your nails or twiddling your thumbs...
[snapback]337148[/snapback]​

it's also the same reason millions of nonmodels do.

I absolutely love to smoke cigarettes but I do it at home with my boyfriend who smokes also or outdoors About this topic I don't see why models wouldn't try to curb their smoking since their career depends on their looks Oh well maybe they are like me and figure I'm going to do it because I like it

why would anyone choose to start smoking...:blink: :(

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ whoa after reading some of the last pages i realized that might sound preachy. I am not offended by and dont look down on anyone that smokes... whew.. i dont wanna piss anyone off

aaaaarrrrghhhh, I just can't stand, when someone says, how awful it is to kiss smoker - right after smoking? maybe, but it goes away again... you will get yellow teeth from food as well, coffee etc. BUT you would have to smoke like 3 packs a day to get your teeth that much more yellow, same issue with skin etc. My point is that all these things like WRINKLES, YELLOW TEETH etc etc would appear if u smoked 5 packs a day...you know, it doesn't mean, that if u smoke 3 cigs a day you will get this and that, come on soooo many other chemical sh*t in the air that we all have to breathe evert day!!! And all these models - MOST of them smoke SOMETIMES. They just have 1 cig in a while, smoke on parties... I know sooooooo many, that smoke only while travelling and working and never while they are at home (obviously not addicted). So when u see pic of model, holding a cig, it doesn't mean she does 2 packs a day...
Smoking kills you very slowly??? WHAT DOESN'T...look what we all eat, what chemicals we eat every day, what we have to stress about, we do so many unhealthy things. Of course, if u smoke all the time, it might affect your health, but thats the same thing with food for example - If you will eat McDonald every day, wont that affect your health?? All kinds of cancers are out there, never know who is going to be next victim...non smokers get lung cancer of course, coz they breathe some other thing...maybe too many cars around, who knows.
Just let people do whatever they do... and if they don't do it TOO MUCH, they'll be ok. you have same chances to get lung cancer as NOT-OVERDOING IT smoker or person, who doesn't smoke but walks, sits etc. around people that do...

StopIt said:
aaaaarrrrghhhh, I just can't stand, when someone says, how awful it is to kiss smoker - right after smoking? maybe, but it goes away again... you will get yellow teeth from food as well, coffee etc. BUT you would have to smoke like 3 packs a day to get your teeth that much more yellow, same issue with skin etc. My point is that all these things like WRINKLES, YELLOW TEETH etc etc would appear if u smoked 5 packs a day...you know, it doesn't mean, that if u smoke 3 cigs a day you will get this and that, come on soooo many other chemical sh*t in the air that we all have to breathe evert day!!! And all these models - MOST of them smoke SOMETIMES. They just have 1 cig in a while, smoke on parties... I know sooooooo many, that smoke only while travelling and working and never while they are at home (obviously not addicted). So when u see pic of model, holding a cig, it doesn't mean she does 2 packs a day...
Smoking kills you very slowly??? WHAT DOESN'T...look what we all eat, what chemicals we eat every day, what we have to stress about, we do so many unhealthy things. Of course, if u smoke all the time, it might affect your health, but thats the same thing with food for example - If you will eat McDonald every day, wont that affect your health?? All kinds of cancers are out there, never know who is going to be next victim...non smokers get lung cancer of course, coz they breathe some other thing...maybe too many cars around, who knows.
Just let people do whatever they do... and if they don't do it TOO MUCH, they'll be ok. you have same chances to get lung cancer as NOT-OVERDOING IT smoker or person, who doesn't smoke but walks, sits etc. around people that do...

No offense, but that's bad logic. I get annoyed when people defend something obviously bad for you because "everything's bad for you." :innocent:Many things are bad for you, but some are worse than others. Also, many harmful things are just unavoidable (like breathing in semi-polluted air if you live in a big city), or you would have to become a joyless, cellibate, vegan hermit to avoid them. I'm not straight edge by any means. I'm all for enjoying things in moderation, but I don't understand the sense in putting something so harmful into your body that gives you no pleasure other than a vague sense of satisfaction once you've become addicted to it. Even having three cigs a day over a long course of time greatly increases your risk of cancer. Like many stupid kids I smoked for about a year, but I finally got some sense into me and quit. Even when I smoked, I would have never defended it.

I also believe that most smokers start because of subtle peer pressure. I'm not talking about the ridiculously exaggerated version you see in Regan era anti-smoking ads or DARE. It's not like your friends would make fun of you or harass you, but you don't want to be the odd one out when they all go have a smoke. When you're in a culture of people who smoke it's very hard to avoid. I went to college in NY before I transferred and about 90% of my friends lit up when we stepped outside. Like most cosmopolitan, artistic fields, the fashion industry has a culture of smoking and drug use. The culture perpetuates itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
marqueemoon said:
No offense, but that's bad logic. I get annoyed when people defend something obviously bad for you because "everything's bad for you." :innocent:Many things are bad for you, but some are worse than others. Also, many harmful things are just unavoidable (like breathing in semi-polluted air if you live in a big city), or you would have to become a joyless, cellibate, vegan hermit to avoid them. I'm not straight edge by any means. I'm all for enjoying things in moderation, but I don't understand the sense in putting something so harmful into your body that gives you no pleasure other than a vague sense of satisfaction once you've become addicted to it. Even having three cigs a day over a long course of time greatly increases your risk of cancer. Like many stupid kids I smoked for about a year, but I finally got some sense into me and quit. Even when I smoked, I would have never defended it.

I also believe that most smokers start because of subtle peer pressure. I'm not talking about the ridiculously exaggerated version you see in Regan era anti-smoking ads or DARE. It's not like your friends would make fun of you or harass you, but you don't want to be the odd one out when they all go have a smoke. When you're in a culture of people who smoke it's very hard to avoid. I went to college in NY before I transferred and about 90% of my friends lit up when we stepped outside. Like most cosmopolitan, artistic fields, the fashion industry has a culture of smoking and drug use. The culture perpetuates itself.

Well maybe the part, where i said that many things are bad for you, i meant it little different than it sounds...but basicly I just had to write all this down, because... i can't stand some things in SMOKING MODELS threads... Like when someone find pic of model holding cig and post it and another girl will post crying smilies with comment such as: "OOOH, i can't believe she smokes, she is so beautiful, she used to be my fave model but now...that makes me so sad...you just broke my heart..." OMG, what is that???
People here are judging models, even thought they know them just from pictures, like if they smoke, they are just bad and irresponsible...

ALL MODELS SMOKE ANYWAYS... seriously, i think we can say ALL, because there is such a small amount of these, that don't smoke occasionaly at least...

If you smoke about two cigarettes a week.. (with a good health already) that isn't really bad, right? I mean, I have total control on myself and because I have some limits, it is undercontrol. I mean, with a drink I just have one when I go out.

robertocavalli said:
If you smoke about two cigarettes a week.. (with a good health already) that isn't really bad, right? I mean, I have total control on myself and because I have some limits, it is undercontrol. I mean, with a drink I just have one when I go out.

Of course smoking two a week is not as bad as smoking more than that. But smoking is still bad for you. Obviously the smaller the dose the less bad. But Nicotine is Nicotine and Tobacco is Tobacco.

Please don't think I have anything against smoking, because I don't, I was just answering your question :smile:

Elle :flower:

If you smoke it makes you thinner and it could help the models, if they were very stressed about their worked. Then they could just relax with a cigarette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->