Your List of "True Supermodels" and why.....

iluvjeisa said:
Yeah, that's true, Callidora - about faces. But it is not true about bodies, I don't think. Diversity of faces but not of bodies is the current beauty ideal IMO. And if you look at models there was more diversity during the supermodel days. Cindy C would have had to loose 20 pounds in order to fit into todays crowd. :lol:

Lol! Yeah most of them would definitely be too big to work today. But I always think of models being thin as just part of the job, because the fact of the matter is, clothes look better photographed on tall thin women. That doesn't mean the body looks better in general than someone shorter and curvier. The supers were more about showing off themselves rather than the clothes I think, so it would make sense for them to have more meat on their bones so they could be viewed as sexy. Sexiness (at least not overt sexiness) is not a quality looked for in most of today's working models.

Twiggy, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell, Brooke Shields, Kate Moss... I can't think of any others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, ignoring the fact that people will probably pick apart my list.. here goes:

1.) Gisele Bundchen (yes, even though I do not like her look)--she can do high fashion or commercial.. as well as mens magazines... my point is.. Women envy her and Men want her:rolleyes:

2.) Naomi Campbell (again.. not someone i'm too fond of)--She was a star of the supermodel era.. and is still going strong. She's high fashion, commercial, glamour.. everything.

3.) Kate Moss (my very first glimse at the modeling world)--Whether it be heroin chic, glamazon, commercial, or haute Couture.. Kate Moss can do it all. She is a household name... a legend in the making.

Now for newer girls("supermodels" in the making:(

4.) Natalia Vodianova (loooove this girl)--most might not agree.. but Natalia is special. She's got it all going on... from child-like innocence to total sex kitten... she's popular in both commercial work and highfashion work.

5.) Jessica Stam (one of my favorites so maybe i'm biased!)--Stammy is unconventional. She's made waves in highfashion and now seems to be heading toward acting and commercial work. She's interesting. Someone I'm expecting to see a lot more of in the future.

6.) Gemma Ward (although I'm sure her look will fade one day)--Gemma has made her mark in this world. And even if fashion won't hold on to her forever.. she's got promising talent that i'm sure will work out for her in the commercial/acting world. Once she becomes an actress.. I'm sure everyone will know who Gemma Ward is.

:ninja: waits to be attacked for having an opinion:lol:

sasseestefanie said:
3.) Kate Moss --Whether it be heroin chic, glamazon, commercial, or haute Couture.. Kate Moss can do it all. She is a household name... a legend in the making.

glamazon? :shock: "Glamazon" = Glamorous Amazon, an amazon is a large, strong, voluptuos and powerful woman like Brigitte Nielsen, Cindy Crawford or Tatjana Patitz.

Kate is NOT glamazon, Kate is bones, ugly waif.

and she's a household name only in UK, not in US.

sasseestefanie said:
6.) Gemma Ward - Once she becomes an actress.. I'm sure everyone will know who Gemma Ward is.

the only chances that she has in hollywood is playing the role of a strange creature in Alien 6 , Gremlins III or E.T, out of that she is not going to be Kiera Knightley.

maybe Alien Vs Chucky's girlfriend featuring Gemma Ward and Lily Cole.

sasseestefanie said:
Well, ignoring the fact that people will probably pick apart my list.. here goes:

1.) Gisele Bundchen (yes, even though I do not like her look)--she can do high fashion or commercial.. as well as mens magazines... my point is.. Women envy her and Men want her:rolleyes:

2.) Naomi Campbell (again.. not someone i'm too fond of)--She was a star of the supermodel era.. and is still going strong. She's high fashion, commercial, glamour.. everything.

3.) Kate Moss (my very first glimse at the modeling world)--Whether it be heroin chic, glamazon, commercial, or haute Couture.. Kate Moss can do it all. She is a household name... a legend in the making.

Now for newer girls("supermodels" in the making:(

4.) Natalia Vodianova (loooove this girl)--most might not agree.. but Natalia is special. She's got it all going on... from child-like innocence to total sex kitten... she's popular in both commercial work and highfashion work.

5.) Jessica Stam (one of my favorites so maybe i'm biased!)--Stammy is unconventional. She's made waves in highfashion and now seems to be heading toward acting and commercial work. She's interesting. Someone I'm expecting to see a lot more of in the future.

6.) Gemma Ward (although I'm sure her look will fade one day)--Gemma has made her mark in this world. And even if fashion won't hold on to her forever.. she's got promising talent that i'm sure will work out for her in the commercial/acting world. Once she becomes an actress.. I'm sure everyone will know who Gemma Ward is.

:ninja: waits to be attacked for having an opinion:lol:

Well, I agree with you to a large extent :D. Except I've never really understood the allure of Natalia - wont go into detail about that because there's no need and I have a lot of friends who dig her too, so obviously I have acquired some sort of unusual immunity :P I'd also reverse the order of your oldies list. Kate's on top in this game...and now she's famous in the US as well thanks to her scandals. Gisele seems to be loosing momentum for some reason. Naomi is an icon, no doubt, retaining much of her beauty, just like Linda and Kate.

sh*t forgot to give reasons why....

Twiggy: Completely iconic, modeling legend, somewhat of a household name believe it or not, even in the US, she made it chic to be short and skinny, maybe even invented the waif look? Who knows, but shes truly the most iconic model of all time.

Linda Evangleista: Photographer's dream, versatility like never before, unique beauty, the best of the 90's supermodel era.

Naomi Campbell: Infamous, amazing walk, supermodel from the 90's still working, amazing.

Brooke Sheilds: Legendary, best calvin klein model ever, had the perfect face, in my opinion she was the most beautiful girl ever, well, that I've ever seen.

Kate Moss: Heroin chic, designers love her, fashion industry insiders idolize her, she gets booked for everything.

Out of the newer girls I think maybe Jessica Miller, Gemma Ward, Natalia Vodianova or Daria Werbowy could be a supermodel down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
The names on my list are people that were either huge in fashion during their time, the "everyman" knows their name, or they brought about some change in the industry.

1. The Trinity : Naomi-Christy-Linda
2. Donyale Luna : The first black woman on the cover of Vogue - albeit with her face partially covered - and (arguably) the first black supermodel.
3. Iman : She was a great model and, IMHO, one of the most gorgeous women ever.
4. Lisa Fonssagrives-Penn

here's mine:

1. Trinity (Linda/Naomi/Christy)

2. Kate Moss

3. CIndy Crawford

4. Claudia Schiffer

5. Gisele Bundchen

6. The Dolled-Face Supermodels (Gemma, Stam, etc)

7. Alek Wek

8. Daria Werbowy

9. Karen Elson

My list:

1) The Big Six (Linda, Naomi, Kate, Cindy, Christy & Claudia)

2) Gisele Bundchen

That's all.

1)Christy

2)Cindy

3)Iman

4)Naomi

5)Paulina p

6)Twiggy

7)Janice

8)Daria

9)Linda

10)Natalia v/Kate/Gisele

Oh i forgot Yasmeen Ghauri she was is and will always remain one of the best models, she had the ultimate walk, great poses and a face to die for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->