Alessandro Michele - Designer, Creative Director of Valentino

I like it, basically the same as Gucci but I'm not complaining. Interested to see where he brings the brand over the next few seasons. (Also the quality of the products :heart:, better than whatever is going on back at Gucci)

Fight me but it's quite a gorgeous evening ensemble, totally wearable at an Opera première, with a different hair. It can be easily stylised down or up ....
Yes i agree with you. Actually, i made it just to imagine if he would still bring his wild fantasies, back when he was at Gucci (the head thing) to Valentino. Hehe..

I’m not in love. I’m disappointed.

I had high hopes that he would lean into the glamour and jet set Valentino but that’s my own fault.

I mean there are some things that do look like Valentino by default. Maybe this is what he was hired to do, I didn’t expect the same exact silhouettes and styling to a T that he did at Gucci though

sad that even here he has no fans who enjoyed having his aesthetic back.

If Maria was able to succeed at Dior with her Valentino, I think Alessandro is fine since they are both very good accesories designers making tons of profits for the brands they worked. After all, it does not matters whether it is minimalisn or maximalism as long as one finds their audience. Personally, I am getting more tired of the quite luxury minimalism than Alessandro's maximalism.

It’s not that I have a particular dislike of his aesthetic - in fact, I liked his Gucci.

My issue is that there was clearly no effort whatsoever to push himself to differentiate his Valentino from his Gucci. I wasn’t expecting a total 180, but it would have been interesting to see him maybe try something new for this house, even in terms of casting or styling?

Even Hedi Slimane has done a better job of subtly differentiating his YSL, Dior Homme, Saint Laurent and Celine.

If Maria was able to succeed at Dior with her Valentino, I think Alessandro is fine since they are both very good accesories designers making tons of profits for the brands they worked. After all, it does not matters whether it is minimalisn or maximalism as long as one finds their audience. Personally, I am getting more tired of the quite luxury minimalism than Alessandro's maximalism.
problem is no one wants these clothes or they would have bought them at gucci and he would never have been ousted.

I think it's quite good. The clothes are BEAUTIFUL.

Yes, it's very similar to what he did at Gucci but, like, NO DUH. What else were you expecting?

You can really see that he made the most of what the Valentino workroom can do.

I'm excited/fearful of what he does with the couture.

Honestly, here’s what I want to say to those who are saying “Oh he’s referencing Valentino in the 70s”

Maybe? If you mean he’s referencing the silhouettes of those long dresses, heavy usage of prints… yada yada

BUT! Here’s what he’s definitely NOT REFERENCING- The visual weight. The “flou”. The “movement” of the garments

(I will be using how WWD numbered the looks in the coverage of the collection)

For example, in look 127, yes, Mr Valentino Garavani was doing those short dresses towards the end of his reign… but when he does it, he didn’t include so many design elements on his creations. If he does ruffles, at max he will throw in some lace element in the front portion (PPP & MGC followed this ideology in their Spring 2012 collection). But AM? Oh lord, just look at that dress in look 127, ruffles at the skirt, ruffles at the top/collar, ruffles at the sleeves, on top of that there’s embroidery at the ruffles, lace looking embroidery running down the middle of the top portion of the dress (which is unrelated to the vines embroidery running at the sides, laurel embroidery at the ruffles in the hem portion…)

This is so visually heavy (it’s not even “rich”, it’s just… heavy, unnecessarily weighted), to the point where it’s repulsive.

Moving onto the usage of prints, VG used a lot of interesting prints, such as the giraffe print (Spring-Summer 1966 haute couture) in his creations… BUT, when he does that, the shape/lines of the garments are usually pretty simple, and the fabric he chose are usually on the more “lighter” side. However, when AM does it… it’s heavy fabric, lots of other details… (e.g. look 132, I am not even looking at the heavily beading embroidered bolero, just the dress itself, the fabric is not even brocade but it looks heavy af, and the gathers make it worse)

Basically with AM, there’s no “breathability” in his creations, which is the maison’s ethos. If you don’t get what I mean, look at Phoebe Philo’s current creations in her own label, yes, things may look “heavy”, but you could sense that under that shell the clothes could actually do a little “dance” when being worn/in movement. I don’t see that coming from AM’s current creation (his yellow dress for Florence Welch at the 2011 Oscars, even though weighted down by the tiered ruffles, the airy fabric and the monochromatic factor allowed the dress to “breathe” despite the construction)

I could go on but it’s way past midnight at where I am to properly research and dig from my own knowledge to write any further commentary.

Anyway, do you recall the projection of the red dresses onto the walls around the runway in the Spring 2008 haute couture collection and how the red dresses seem to be floating in the wind with a sense of lightness and airiness? All of these is lost in AM’s Resort 2025 collection for Maison Valentino.

Last edited:
“Valentino was never a minimalist, rather a maximalist, even in the ’70s when he was at his most streamlined,” he pointed out. “There was always a very Roman sense of opulence and excess to his work, distilled through an obsession for beauty.” As much as he has fallen under the spell of the archival references available to him, Michele said that he didn’t reference any particular decade of Garavani’s work. However, he conceded that he was fascinated by the 1968 Sfilata Bianca. “I stole something of that whiteness, of that grace.” The photos in the lookbook have been given a sort of patina, “as if they had been found.” He hinted also at the hippy chic, feminine refinement of Valentino in the ’70s, but ultimately he let himself go, indulging in the lightness of ruching and volants “for no other reason than to connect with that feeling of grace.” The ’80s were referenced lightly, as “there is still so much to explore about how Valentino approached that decade, that for him wasn’t an ode to hedonism, but rather to extreme softness and sophistication.”
VOGUE RUNWAY

BoF's review on his debut collection:
‘Hyper Beauty’: Inside Alessandro Michele’s Surprise Valentino Collection
Over 260 images dropped during Milan Fashion Week provided a look at the star designer’s plans for the Roman couture house. ‘It’s a continuous orgasm,’ he said.

By ROBERT WILLIAMS
June 17, 2024

BoF PROFESSIONAL

MILAN — When Alessandro Michele unveiled his debut collection for Gucci in 2015, his evident mastery of the brand’s codes was the fruit of a dozen years’ labor designing behind the scenes under Tom Ford and Frida Giannini.

At Valentino, Michele took just two months: the Roman brand, which named the designer its creative director on March 28, surprised the fashion world Monday by dropping an unscheduled lookbook on the last day of Milan menswear week. The mixed-gender collection slated for pre-spring 2025 features more than 260 images including propositions across categories, from ready-to-wear to handbags, shoes and silk scarves.

More than a teaser, the collection provided a comprehensive overview of how Michele is approaching the Roman couture house's codes: Belted ivory peacoats with V-motifs on pockets, or cropped jackets styled over matching tailored dresses paid homage to Valentino Garavani's iconic white collection from 1968 The ladylike looks were accessorized with turban hats and looping strands of pearls that added a whiff of Michele's cinematic kitsch. Elsewhere, gender-fluid styling gave a jolt of modernity to throwback silhouettes as male-presenting models wore bell-shaped capes and ruffled turtleneck blouses, while many of the most sartorial looks (including bell-bottom suits Garavani himself might have worn in the 70s ) went to the girls.

“Something magical happened, a chemical reaction, and we started to work as if in an orchestra — with love, and without looking at the time. We lost ourselves in Valentino’s archive,” Michele told reporters from The Business of Fashion, Vogue and WWD about he and his team’s process of immersing themselves in the legacy of Garavani, who founded the brand in 1958.

“It’s something coming from our heart and our guts,” he added.

Where Michele’s tenure at Gucci was marked by an embrace of over-the-top, twisted glamour, at Valentino he is working to connect with the intense prettiness of its founder’s couture.

“There’s a sort of obsession with what I would call hyper beauty. As if this life was not enough for him, so that it had to be amplified,” Michele said.

The debut collection is titled “Avant les debuts”, or “before the beginnings.” Michele insists that he and the “orchestra” of his studio are still “tuning [their] instruments” ahead of their first runway show scheduled for this autumn’s Paris Fashion Week, which is certainly the most hotly anticipated designer debut of the year.

The mention of beginnings, plural, was surely no accident, but rather signature Michele: During eight years as creative director of Gucci, Michele attracted a new generation of customers to the luxury fashion industry by deploying multifaceted collections that celebrated fluid self-expression and a broad range of identities. Collections blended mens and womenswear, archival shapes and maximalist embellishments, sportswear and demi-couture. Watching Michele juggling those plot lines, while testing the limits of how far the brand could be extended via collaborations was a big part of the thrill.

Michele’s first outing for Valentino, as such, might be seen as a collection of first steps in the designer’s latest round of simultaneous journeys.

“The process is not going to end. I still have the same gaze… It’s still me remixing things,” Michele said.

In his initial outing for Valentino, Michele interspersed hallmarks of the brand's intensely pretty, romantic identity — like pleated, tea-length skirts and ultra-classic pocketbooks — with decadent touches associated with his own aesthetic: cascading ruffles, (faux) fur trim, retro sunglasses and metallic gold jewel-tone details. Other Michele-isms included contrast piping on ivory blazers, or looks that simultaneously featured plaid, paisley and monogram.

By releasing the collection on the morning of Gucci's second menswear show by creative director Sabato De Sarno, Michele might have been marking his territory — or at least announcing to partisans of the old Gucci that there's a new place to shop — while invoking Valentino's codes enough to not alienate existing fans.

But Michele insists that his reverence for the house Garavani built goes deep.

“I’m really in love with the place I have decided to inhabit, which is becoming my home,” he said.

“I’m touching extraordinary relics worn by extraordinary women who were his friends … His creations talk about him, about his very sophisticated fixations. About how a dress is a vehicle for extraordinary lives,” Michele said. “This world is very, very complex — and much less banal than we might think.”

Meanwhile, as Michele gears up for his first foray into couture — set for early next year — the designer says he finds himself in ecstasy over the capabilities of Valentino’s workshops and suppliers.

“There’s a level of workmanship that I see for the first time in a company. I can ask for the impossible, you know?,” Michele said. “For someone like me, it’s a continuous orgasm. It’s a climax.”
BoF

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yaseminnnn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->